Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • RDP without a dynamic IP address
  • bigyinn
    Free Member

Occasionally I want to connect to my home PC using RDP, but my home DSL connection has a dynamic IP, so normal RDP isnt going to work, is it?
    Anyone have any useful suggestions?
    I want to be able to transfer the odd file by using the share drive feature in RDP as well.

julians
    Free Member

http://www.dyndns.com

you get a domain name from dyndns, and install a client on the PC with the dynamic IP address. everytime the IP address changes, the client updates the IP that is associated with the domain name, and you just connect via the domain name.

Thats how I do it anyway.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Where does the address come from?
    I have a wireless router that hands out addresses, and it’s DHCP scope is set to above x.x.x.100 with x.x.x.1 – 99 being reserved for fixed addresses. Router cost about £40 IIRC

WackoAK
    Free Member

I use the Pro version of logmein – you can transfer files between the local and remote machines using that.

You could use chrome desktop in conjuction with dropbox?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Did I mention I want to do it without any expenditure? dynamic DNS sounds good, but I’d rather not lash out for occasional use only.

wwaswas

look at logmein alternatives, they’re web based tools and don;t use RDP directly so dynamic IP is fine.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Oh and I’ll be at work, so the home machine isn’t on the same network as the machine im connecting from.

Sorry thats a fairly curicial bit of info I missed off. 😳

bigyinn
    Free Member

Teamviwer is a possibility, if it’ll let me transfer files for free.

wwaswas

file transfer? Can’t you just use a web based drive for stuff you need access to?

almightydutch
    Free Member

TeamViewer, LogMeIn both do it for free if you are happy to potentially let a 3rd party access your machine and you wont know about it.

Windows built in RDP would be my option although it does require knowledge of current Dynamic IP and a bit of port forwarding on your router. This also you can drag and drop files, hear remote sounds etc

PS: Don’t use the std 3389 port – Map this in your router to some spurious 10000+ port number instead. (I’ll admit that using a high port number isn’t going to guarantee safety but at least with a port number change there is much more lower hanging fruit for the hackers to go at.)

brassneck

Being pedantic, a dynamic IP is not barrier to RDP. As long as you know what it is :-). dynDNS will work fine in this regard if you want to stay dynamic, but know where you are.

Personally I’d use TeamViewer over leaving an RDP port forward open regardless of how obfuscated.

allthepies
    Free Member

There are free DynDNS options out there, use one of those.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

TeamViewer is what one of those Indian support guys who wanted to track down a ‘problem’ on my PC wanted me to install, whilst I was stringing them along pretending to play ball.

hooli

dropbox may be easier

xiphon
    Free Member

TeamViewer is excellent*

Chrome Remote Desktop is excellent*

Dropbox / Box / G-Drive is excellent*

A USB stick is excellent*

(*depending on your requirements and technical limitations).

Personally, I have a site-to-site VPN between the home fw and office one (but restricted on who can access what).

LogMeIn – NO LONGER FREE. They stopped this about 2 months back.

GrahamS

my home DSL connection has a dynamic IP,

Might be worth checking with your ISP if they offer static IP addresses.

Zen do: http://www.zen.co.uk/home-office/broadband/home-office-broadband.aspx

xiphon
    Free Member

No need for a static IP! Plenty of suitable options, some free, some incur cost.

chvck
    Free Member

I’ve gone for a static IP with plusnet, costs me a fiver a month. I have a subdomain of my website domain name point at it, makes life easy.

tightywighty
    Free Member

TurnerGuy – Member

TeamViewer is what one of those Indian support guys who wanted to track down a ‘problem’ on my PC wanted me to install, whilst I was stringing them along pretending to play ball.

That might be true, but it is legit (and excellent) software.

sharkbait
    Free Member

TeamViewer is excellent*

Chrome Remote Desktop is excellent*

These ^ or just go with a free dynamic dns service. I’m using no-ip to ssh into a raspberry pi 110 miles away – works perfectly.

Your router may have a dynamic dns function built in so no software required. BT homehubs are good for this and supports about 4 different services.

flashpaul
    Free Member

Chrome remote desktop is the best option providing you can use chrome at work

If you must use RDP and don’t want to bother with dynamic dns services
    install Dropbox on your home PC

Then from the dropbox website at work in Accounts – Security you can find your home external IP address and simply copy this into RDP and connect

GrahamS

No need for a static IP!

No need. There are other approaches. But it’s worth checking if it is an option. It doesn’t cost anything extra on Zen* and saves faffing with third party options

* (Though admittedly Zen is one of the pricier ISPs to start with)

bigyinn
    Free Member

flashpaul thanks, that sounds like a plan!

Flaperon

Change your supplier to one that offers a static IP? Sky do, for a start…

bigyinn
    Free Member

Im with Sky, I thought they charged for a static IP?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Scratch that, they dont offer static IPs as apparently, most people “prefer dynamic IPs”
    Most user’s ive dealt with in a support capacity neither know nor care about IPs.
    Anyway the dropbox solution works for me.

GrahamS

“New: With either Sky Broadband Pro product, you can request a static IP address. This can be really useful if you are hosting your own server for gaming or even your own personal website.”

http://www.sky.com/shop/your-move-to-sky/broadband-pro/

bigyinn
    Free Member

We’ve created additional product features especially for our customers who are moving from O2 and BE Home Broadband.

You cant order it and its only for people who were previously with O2 / Be as far as I can tell.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘RDP without a dynamic IP address’ is closed to new replies.