Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • RCtrackworld
  • timbur
    Free Member

It appears I’m (well me and my 8 yo) are the lucky new owners of a Tamiya Dual Hunter RC car :O)
    It need a new battery – 7.2v 3000 whatsits. Any recommendations? It’s got twin motors so I guess it pulls a lot of juice. It came with a fast charger rated up to 3500 whatsits.
    Also, I would really like a manual as it’s going to get smashed and I’d like to know what I’m doing when repairing it.
    Anyone help? Tamiya website doesn’t list it from what I can tell.

It’s a WR01 chassis I think. Model number 58396.

Thanks

Tim

toppers3933
    Free Member

You might find what you’re looking for here
    Batteries are pretty good these days. Presume it’s a stick pack it needs. Try any of the good uk suppliers such as modelsport, apex models or wheelspin models. They’re all pretty good to use.

demonracer

The chassis is the same as the twin detonator, instructions are here http://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/rcmanual/twindeto.pdf

As for batteries, I have used Lipos for quite a while now but I don’t think you’ll go far wrong with a overlander 3300mah lipo, available on ebay for £13.95, I would get a couple as it will be more fun.

GeForceJunky

/\ LiPo batteries are great … but you need a ESC with voltage cut-out and a LiPo charger so check compatibility first.

aracer
    Free Member

Except that if it’s not designed for them it can drain the battery too much, damaging it (not such an issue with NiMH). Hence when I bought a LiPo for use with my my son’s car I installed an inline cutoff circuit to protect the battery. In practice it may not be an issue as the car will stop before it gets too low, but I’m certainly hitting the cutoff on my circuit before that happens.

Oh and a proper LiPo charger as mentioned above which adds to the cost – I already had a decent quality balancing charger for my planes.

demonracer

Sorry, my mistake … I meant to type NiMH not Lipo, Lipos are great but they are more expensive if you want them in a standard stick pack size which the Dual Hunter really needs. If you do wish to run Lipo then lipo alarms are a cheap way to make sure you dont drop below the minimum voltage per cell.

Battery which I was talking about

timbur
    Free Member

Ace, thanks. Battery purchased. Will get a spare IF all is well when the other turns up.
    Thanks for the instruction link. I think shocks and wheel bearings are next

wilko1999
    Free Member

Nice one OP, let us know what its like when you’ve had chance to run it. I’m currently watching a Twin Detonator, amongst other Tamiya monster trucks on eBay 🙂

timbur
    Free Member

Will do.
    Tim

demonracer

Good stuff, they are a great chassis for a bit of fun and very robust, you’ll soon get the bug and want another!

timbur
    Free Member

I never had one as a kid so have been waiting patiently for my eldest to get old enough. So far it’s cost me £50 and a new battery. Fingers crossed it all works.

jes
    Free Member

Walk away now, probably the most expensive addictive hobbie I have ever had, makes high end mountain bikes look cheap 🙂

Although if you can keep it sensible probably the best non sport activity for a father and son to be involved in.

Enjoy

timbur
    Free Member

I’m a little bit excited. 😆

timbur
    Free Member

Battery in, charged and working nicely.
    Looks like it’s going to be a lot of fun.
    Might take the car to work tomorrow to give it a proper run out just to test it for the lad :O) Don’t want him being disappointed on the day, thats the only reason, honest.

(sherks off to buy another battery, or maybe two)

timbur
    Free Member

LOL – that goes like stink. Nice and easy to control. Drifts on the corners, wheels spins off the blocks but nice and predictable besides.

Battery lasted over 20 mins which I was impressed with for a twin motor car. Ended up buying another as I can see me and the lad fighting to play with it. Maybe I need my own car????? 😀

If I unplug the front motor will it still all run OK? thinking about extra battery life and the 4 wheel drive isn’t going to be essential.

Tim

wilko1999
    Free Member

Excellent sounds great! I’m still watching some on ebay trying to get a bargain. Not sure on the second motor without seeing how they’re wired up. I’d leave it in though, I doubt it’ll make that much difference to battery life and will be more of a handful to drive too

timbur
    Free Member

They are wired totally separately. I disconnected one to see and it appears to work. It was amusing when I joined them up wrong and the motors worked against each other 😳

timbur
    Free Member

The boy loved it. I’ve never laughed so much and we’re yet to break it!
    Saying that it seems to shed grenade pins everytime we venture into the under growth.
    It’s got way too much power. I managed to get it drifting donuts on a slippery park surface yesterday. I felt like a junior Clarkson :o/

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘RCtrackworld’ is closed to new replies.