Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • RCT3 Motion Control DNA question
  • theboyneeds
    Free Member

It’s an old damper probably from around 2012-2013, taken out of a Revelation and put into a Reba.

I’ve had a few issues with it falling apart in the leg but a bit of locktite on the threads has fixed all that.

But the latest thing it is doing, is refusing to play nicely on the ‘Platform’ setting. This setting is controlled by a little knob with thirteen clicks that adjusts the low speed compression. Pretty useful for the xc noodling I like doing.

However the Platform setting is currently acting just like the open setting. Lockout is still working fine.

So, before I either try to buy a new damper or spend a lot of cash sending it to TFTuned (so they can tell me to buy a new damper), am I missing something?

The type of damper I’m talking about is probably best described in this mtbr post.

adsh
    Free Member

I find both of mine can take a while to settle down after being stored upside down or a on a hook from the ceiling. They do exactly what you describe. Eventually they behave e as they are supposed to

adsh
    Free Member

But do RCT dampers in Revs have platform? I’m not convinced, I seem to remember there is an RCT without platform when not in a SID

theboyneeds
    Free Member

I’ve got a hunch I’ve over filled them with oil, but can’t work out why that would make the difference. I’ve just had them out again and can see the little low speed compression screw winding in and out.

They are the same as these:

http://faqload.com/faqs/bicycle-components/suspension/rockshox-rct3-damper

teethgrinder

It’ll be the little blue screws – loose or knacked I bet. A mate has some Revs that did that.

simonloco
    Free Member

Has one of the blue screws dropped out and jammed the shin stack open? 😉
    There is about half a thread holding them in so even if threadlick they may still work loose ( should be one in either side.)

theboyneeds
    Free Member

Nah – they’re going nowhere because I covered them in loctite red last time the buggers made a break for freedom.

Having consulted the Rockshox oil volume charts, they seem to be next to useless, so has anyone had success by filling with oil, inserting damper, threading top cap on loosely, dumping air and then compressing by hand until the excess oil leaks out the damper side?

Thanks for all the help chaps!

jamiesilo
    Free Member

i think the compression damper from revs would be a longer unit than on rebas, the models i’ve owned anyway. that would therefore change the oil volume required, so sounds like you’re on the right lines.

i recently used a measure-oil-level-from-top-of-uppers method, because i think the newer manual recommended this, rather than a specific volume.

i think the idea is that the bottom of the damper just touches the top of the oil, but tbh i don’t rightly know.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘RCT3 Motion Control DNA question’ is closed to new replies.