Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • RC Priests in abuse shocker!!
  • rogerthecat
    Free Member

Another fabulous example of self regulation!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-17894419

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

My ex-girlfriend was raped by a priest when she was in her early teens, she has never recovered from that ordeal.

My contempt for the RC church (the institution rather than the adherents) is beyond measure. Religions get away with so much, if it was any other type of organisation we would close it down and proscribe it.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Another fabulous example ….

More revelations concerning an old story doesn’t quite measure up to what I was expecting from ‘another example’.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TandemJeremy
    Free Member

He should be jailed for that. His actions allowed an abuser to continue to abuse

kimbers

still drawjopping that he doesnt feel he should resign

zokes
    Free Member

Remote Control priests – whatever next?

globalti
    Free Member

A friend of my Dad (now 82) was a theological advisor to The Vatican. He wrote a book called Mission or Maintenance in which he offered some very good reasons why Catholic priests should be allowed to marry. The Vatican threw him out and on the Pope’s recent visit to the UK he was approached by representatives of The Vatican and told to keep quiet.

My Dad’s friend left the priesthood at 60 and got married, he has two sons now. I have never known anybody wiser or more intelligent.

Perhaps if Catholic priests were allowed to marry some of this anguish wouldn’t be happening now.

TimP
    Free Member

globalti

true, sadly very true

Peyote
    Free Member

Perhaps if Catholic priests were allowed to marry some of this anguish wouldn’t be happening now.

Wise words, also perhaps if they were allowed to be open and accepted with regard to their sexuality a lot of this could be avoided. Repression creates such bad stuff.

grum
    Free Member

This is such a pathetic cop-out as well – ‘as a self proclaimed arbiter of morality we didn’t realise it was wrong to abuse kids then cover it up’.

The church also points out that in 1975, “no state or church guidelines for responding to allegations of child abuse existed in Ireland”.

This pretty much sums up the travesty of the situation.

“If Cardinal Brady came out and espoused the view that women should be ordained, he’d be gone within hours.”

DezB
    Free Member

if they were allowed to be open and accepted with regard to their sexuality

Accepted as paedophiles you mean?

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Paedophilia is not a sexuality, it’s a perversion.

martinhutch

Wise words, also perhaps if they were allowed to be open and accepted with regard to their sexuality a lot of this could be avoided. Repression creates such bad stuff.

Totally wrongheaded. Repressed sexuality does not produce paedophilia.

Paedophiles were attracted to the RC Church because of easy lone access to children running alongside a highly negligent attitude to child protection issues which made their crimes easier.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

I honestly expected to see a radio control priest

Peyote
    Free Member

Accepted as paedophiles you mean?

No, I was thinking of homosexuality or bisexuality or any other type between consenting adults* that is frowned upon by the Church. It was in the context of them not allowing marriage either.

Totally wrongheaded. Repressed sexuality does not produce paedophilia.

Sorry I didn’t mean to imply that it did, but rereading my post I can see how it could be infered. My point was a general one about the stress and emotional response to supressing secular morally acceptable behaviour at the behest of a relegious organisation. It was supposed to be read in addition to Globalti’s post.

kaesae
    Free Member

All individuals or groups as well as organizations should be judged on their actions.

The roman catholic’s are a morally bankrupt, delusional bunch, the current pope has also in the past protected pedophiles rather than the children they abuse.

It would appear that covering up for the church is a sure way to get ahead in the church.

The RC church is interested in money, power and control. They have nothing to do with the teachings of jesus or spirituality for that matter. Everything they are and symbolize jesus was opposed too!

That said as long as their minions refuse to question or seek answers through applying the truth, they will continue to exist!

big_n_daft
    Free Member

The RC church is interested in money, power and control. They have nothing to do with the teachings of jesus or spirituality for that matter. Everything they are and symbolize jesus was opposed too! “

I am sure there are great individuals within the organisation but as an institution it’s a pretty fair assessment IMHO

molgrips
    Free Member

They have radio controlled priests now? Holy cow!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Cardinal Sean Brady had the names and addresses of those being abused by paedophile priest Brendan Smyth, but did not ensure their safety.

FFS what on earth goes on when they would rather protect the “good name” of their religion /church than protect kids from paedos

Utterly shocking and his lord may forgive him but i **** wont utterly shameful what they did, the cover up and the lack of throwing them selves on the floor prostrate and begging for forgiveness for the sins they turned a blind eye to and allowed to continue

Terrible on so many levels.

grum
    Free Member

But they didn’t realise child abuse wasn’t ok in the 70s JY. Even now it’s not as bad as homosexuality, using condoms, or women priests really is it.

PhilAmon
    Free Member

I’m just going to throw this in here:

1 Timothy chapter 4:1-3 “Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons, speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their own conscience seared with a hot iron, 3 forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from foods which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth.”

Its not biblical to forbid marriage, and actually a sign of error.

mcboo
    Free Member

The church also points out that in 1975, “no state or church guidelines for responding to allegations of child abuse existed in Ireland”.

Shocking arrogance. A human being with an ounce of decency and compassion wouldnt need “guidelines”. Is at least guilty of conspiracy. Arrest him, Cardinal or no Cardinal.

project
    Free Member

Strange how the use of birth control,shops opening on a sunday,gay men and women getting married,gay preists etc all result in proclamations from an old guy in rome, yet something as serious as child abuse which seriously screws up young peoples heads is accepted and paid off.

DezB
    Free Member

1 Timothy chapter 4:1-3
    Its not biblical to forbid marriage, and actually a sign of error.

That’s what it says eh?

grum
    Free Member

Wow I agree with mcboo on something.

mcboo
    Free Member

Sniff

That hurts

duckman

Priests were made to become celebate because they were being a little too “fruitful” in the early middle ages.

hels
    Free Member

All Priests are radio controlled surely ? By God on an exclusive channel from Heaven.

cynic-al
    Free Member

4 “Radio Control” jokes so far…any others?

BermBandit
    Free Member

What’s really horrendous here is the absence of any acknowledgement of how unbelievably shite this lot are. These revelations are not new in any sense. Make no mistake this has been going on forever. The whole institution is morally bankrupt and they know it, and that is why they have not acted. If they acknowledge it then they are done for. I mean just imagine the Pope standing above St Peter Square admitting that the whole moral authority of the church is fraudulent and always has been, (but its OK now because we are going to sort it out and put things into place to protect you all from corrupt and perverse priests, so please don’t leave and keep giving us your money) ……Oops 😳

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

My contempt for the RC church (the institution rather than the adherents) is beyond measure. Religions get away with so much, if it was any other type of organisation we would close it down and proscribe it.

This^^^

The RC church is interested in money, power and control. They have nothing to do with the teachings of jesus or spirituality for that matter. Everything they are and symbolize jesus was opposed to

and this^^^

IMHO – the RC Church is not fit to exist and certainly not preach about homosexuality, women and anything remotely connected with moral values.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

hels – Member

All Priests are radio controlled surely ? By God fred on an exclusive channel from Heaven.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17453849

The above made my blood boil. Remember folks, these individuals and the organisation they belong to are supposed to be the upholders of morality and goodness in society, telling punters sinners how to behave and think.

totalshell

im no big christian nor a catholic BUt i have had the chance to spend time with and seek the advice of two priests and a nun. the priest were everything i could have asked for , compassionate listening ill be forever grateful to the priest who offciated at my sons funeral forever grateful.
    and as for the nun typical i suppose spent her whole adult life in the church worked at a prison TRUELY believed they were all innocent perhaps the most striking/ compelling/ inspiring female i have ever met

please remember that far from all are involved in illegal activties much the same as mountain bikers.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Remember folks, these individuals and the organisation they belong to are supposed to be the upholders of morality and goodness in society, telling punters sinners how to behave and think.

Well, that’s religion for you. Poisons everything.

mcboo
    Free Member

and as for the nun typical i suppose spent her whole adult life in the church worked at a prison TRUELY believed they were all innocent perhaps the most striking/ compelling/ inspiring female i have ever met

What’s so inspiring about someone so credulous that they believe that everyone in prison is innocent?

Next they’ll be telling you that there is a man in the sky who knows all your thoughts all the time, and who sent his son to be tortured to death so as to prove his existense……

BermBandit
    Free Member

please remember that far from all are involved in illegal activties much the same as mountain bikers.

Yep but good people are good people wherever they are. Mark you so are gullible people and evil people. The big difference is that those outside of the Church(s)don’t seem to claim the moral high ground quite so often, nor lose it quite so blatantly and regularly, nor be so mixed up in peddling what is clearly at best a lie.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

ernie_lynch – Member

Another fabulous example ….

More revelations concerning an old story doesn’t quite measure up to what I was expecting from ‘another example’.

Damn, nabbed by the Pedant Police, hairshirt already on and will head out into the carpark to beat myself with birch switches as soon as I post this. Please accept this redraft as partial penance:

Another example of the complacency shown in self regulation in an already existing story, which has been updated and one that the BBC thought sufficiently newsworthy to re issue on all broadcast media and online.

I have notified them of their error and asked that they consult Ernesto before they make their stories measure up in future!

To complete my penance I shall be saying several Hail Mary’s and a few How’s Your Fathers and make my self available for the next passing priest. (bit past my best so they may pass on this, I have been shaving for some years.) 😀

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Interesting description of religion in the comments here: “Religion is a shared psychotic disorder”.

The clip is worth a look, I don’t think I could take two hours of it…

http://richarddawkins.net/videos/645546-this-is-a-short-promo-for-the-two-hour-documentary-in-god-we-trust-by-scott-burdick

sparkyrhino

That would be an ecumenical question

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘RC Priests in abuse shocker!!’ is closed to new replies.