Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • RC Cars
  • broadbean
    Free Member

Hi all

Was thinking of getting an RC Car for my eldest sons 9th birthday, but don’t have much idea of where to start. He’s had cheap ones before which he’s always enjoyed, but wanted to get him something a bit more robust and faster. Anyone on here have much experience of these things? Got to be off-road capable but i don’t really want to chuck silly money at it (like hundreds of pounds). Had been looking at this, for example:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/maverick-ion-xb-1-18-rtr-electric-buggy/rc-car-products/367880

but have no idea whether its any good or not.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

BB

Dancake
    Free Member

Edit I wrote a load of crap assuming it is 1/10

looks like a fun 1/18 buggy!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjJYE68n6hw[/video]

Milkie
    Free Member

Looks OK to me!

I would suggest getting someone else to buy him some extra battery packs and a half decent charger to reduce charging times.

You say its got to be off road capable, but 1/18 is quite small, and may struggle in anything that is longer than garden grass. My 1/8th buggy struggled in a farmers field.

DrP

My 1/8th nitro cost more to run (in real terms) than our family car….!!!

It’s now sat in the garage 🙁

DrP

(I know this doesn’t help you, but is therapy for me – I love my toys!)

VanHalen

my parents bought me a proper tamiya job when i was about 9 for by birthday.

the intentions was for some quality daddy/son time but as the grandparents were over i locked myself in the spare room and built it all day ignoring everyone. dad was disappointed he didnt get to play at building it.

best prezzie ever.

i now use it with my kids. its still great.

dont scrimp on a crappy version – get something that’ll last and you can have fun with too!

logical
    Free Member

For a 9 year old Electric is probably the best way to go. Try some of the Tamiya ones too. Well built and robst. Not tried that one but it may be a little too big for him. Have a look for the Mad Bull or Fighter buggy from Tamiya

toppers3933
    Free Member

Probably a bit out of the price range, but:

try this.

Really well made, spares are readily available, upgradable, and absolutely hilarious fun.

broadbean
    Free Member

many thanks for the comments.

what are these things like in the wet? we have a longish track leading up to the house, which is where i thought that he’d use it the most, rather than adjacent fields, but these get wet. Would standing water be a problem? i dunno how well the electrics are protected…all the videos are on nice dry tracks – not seen one of them in months!

i like the idea of spending more on something that he can build himself…i’ll look into this.

logical
    Free Member

Ahh 1/18th thought it was 1/8th
    1/18th is a little small. I started on 1/10th scale.
    Long grass is probably gonna make it struggle. Only really the Nitro’s or trucks and truggies will manage the grass.

have a look at modelsports Pre-owned catagory
    http://www.modelsport.co.uk/ansmann-racing-mad-monkey-brushless-rtr-pre-owned-/rc-car-products/370153

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘RC Cars’ is closed to new replies.