Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • RBS Directors – can i have a pint of what they've been drinking please?
  • Smee
    Free Member

Are they completely deluded? Whats your opinion on this matter?

ojom
    Free Member

Hopelessly detatched from reality.

People ought to stop bending over.

When the miners started making demands like this…

jon1973
    Free Member

Kind of goes against my gut instinct which is to say no big bonuses, but I do see the logic of needing to retain the people that are going to turn the Bank around. We need to get taxpayers money back on this 'investment' in RBS, isn't this the way to do it?

Smee
    Free Member

I reckon they should let them resign. It's not as if they're not replaceable. THere must be plenty less hookey bankers on their way up….

gonefishin
    Free Member

Can some explain to me why the directors of a business who had to run to the government for help after they mismanaged said business so spectacularly haven't been sacked? I realise that we had to save the banks, but why did we have to save the bankers?

the-muffin-man

Hopelessly detatched from reality.

Define 'reality' – I'm equally detached from the reality of what its like to live in an inner city sink estate, as I am from what its like to have a yacht in Monte Carlo.

I've got more of an issue with the hundreds of thousands D-List celebs get paid on the BBC than I have with bankers pay and bonus's.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I say let them resign. There'll be plenty of people waiting to fill their seats. ****!

geetee1972
    Free Member

Have you seen the muffin man? He talks sense.

bruneep
    TandemJeremy
    Free Member

What gets me is the investment bacn arm made 6 billion profit. Very good. Perhaps bonuses are earned. But they want to give them 1.5 billion in bonuses from what I read ( or was that a typo)

That can simply not be proportionate.

Call their bluff and let them resign. NO golden handshake, no enhanced pension.

soobalias
    Free Member

let em walk, since when was it a good idea to give in to blackmail.

besides im sure with the cv they have they will not fail to find more work in the business.

project
    Free Member

Let us all turn our backs to them and bend over and get **** ,thats what it feels like.

OldGitSurrey
    Free Member

Someone send me a job app. now! I'm sure I can **** up any bank for a fraction of what they want! :mrgreen:

geetee1972
    Free Member

I know the tax payer had to bail out the banks and yes it's our money. But we none of know anything about runnig a bank so we either have to trust the directors or decide we know better and try and do a better job than the experts even if we have seen a massive failure the last few years.
    It is arguable that we were all to blame for the financial crash. I mean who here doesn't have a mortgage for less than 2.5 times your income? If you have then yes you get to preach bu if not then you're complicit likethe rest of us ( including me)

Big-M
    Free Member

As I get older, I'm really beginning to struggle with the question of how someone can be worth that much? They haven't found a cure for cancer or stopped wars.
    I can understand how someone may be worth a large salary say £250,000 and a matching bonus. Seriously how can these people really be worth £1,000,000 bonuses, what do they do with it? (buy carbon bikes I guess :wink:)

Coyote
    Free Member

I'm a RBS customer. I say let the f*****s go. I'm still eagerly waiting to read Sir Fred's obituary.

*Edit – Someone may want to check the swear filter…

geetee1972
    Free Member

I really do get what you mean about 'worth' but the problem is that the only definition of worth in the private sector is one defined by profit.

Big-M
    Free Member

geetee1972 – Member
    I really do get what you mean about 'worth' but the problem is that the only definition of worth in the private sector is one defined by profit.

I agree but these guy's have made profit for 1 year, no longevity, no sense of loyalty eaither, they'd walk away and go somewhere else who'd pay more. If all the banks had a sensible approach, they end up working for sensible money (possibly)

Smee
    Free Member

If as they claim, they are only doing their duty for their shareholders – why TF are they ripping off a quarter of the profits?

joemarshall
    Free Member

But surely you can only really sensibly measure that in terms of the whole company. They lost zillions, had to be bailed out by the government. The only reason they've made tons now is by profiteering off the back of a spectacularly profitable situation created by ours and other countries government bailouts.

If we took a real private sector definition of worth, they'd have gone bust, and be on the dole now, so we wouldn't be having arguments about their bonuses. The only reason they are getting bonuses is because we paid em loads of money not to go bust.

Joe

eviljoe
    Free Member

I'm a RBS customer.

I'm actually in credit- like 5 figures in credit. I am very close to taking the whole shebang to another bank. If all the banks customers voted with their feet where would they be? The directors are answerable to their customers

twosheds
    Free Member

Where do I send my invoice? I'd like my taxpayers money back. I didnt give anyone permission to bail them out in the first place.

jon1973
    Free Member

I am very close to taking the whole shebang to another bank. If all the banks customers voted with their feet where would they be?

We [the taxpayer] would be a lot worse off.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Joe that's an excellent argument. Perhaps we should have let them fail.

kimbers

i love the way they were blackmailing us by saying if you dont let us charge people 30 quid a pop for going overdrawn we'll have to charge everyone 50 quid a year because otherwise we wont be profitable, despite high street banking being twice as profitibale in the uk than the rest of europe (according to newsnight)

now instead of paying back their bailout loan they wanna pay themselves with it instead, because otherwise they wont be competitive and our 'investment' in them will go south, absolute bollox i have no doubt that the blackmail will work again and the government will do nothing whatsoever about it
    dont let them resign, fire em

this is a very very good reason to vote lib dem
    they are the only party who are actually talking about regulating the entire farcical banking system
    labour have failed and i can see no sincerity in osborne or cast oiron dave to change a system that they benefit from so much already

Smee
    Free Member

Why didn't they let them go under?

kimbers

Why didn't they let them go under?

because queues of pensioners trying to get their non-existant savings out of a failed bank would be bad

Smee
    Free Member

but the island is overcrowded with pensioners – let a few of them die and thats global warming solved.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Goan – lesser of two evils I guess?

Is not the best way forward a light level of reform, so that we don't kill what has been a vibrant, creative and very successful financial system?

If you regulate bonuses too far then you're simply going to drive away the talent. Similarly if you regulate the banking system too far, you'll drive capital to other financial centres that will emerge as more than ready to accommodate it.

Our financial system is core to our whole anglo-saxon model of capitalism. If you smother it, you run the risk of constricting the whole economy for decades to come.

Ed2001
    Free Member

Do they deserve bonuses? **** off! Do not be fooled into thinking that they have made these profits through being financial geniuses ( they really aren't, what they are is arrogant tosser who feel they have a god given right to 6 and 7 figure bonuses) it's down to the current monetary conditions created by the goverment.

crazy-legs

The Daily Mash hasn't quite caught up with this one yet (give it time!) but the story they ran a couple of days ago was very good…
    http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/business/are-you-scared-yet?-bankers-ask-britain-200911262259/

El-bent
    Free Member

If you regulate bonuses too far then you're simply going to drive away the talent.

It certainly took a special kind of talent to create the mother of all financial crashes.

Similarly if you regulate the banking system too far, you'll drive capital to other financial centres that will emerge as more than ready to accommodate it.

Leave it as it is and continue be held to ransom, which it was when the taxpayer had to bail them out.

Our financial system is core to our whole anglo-saxon model of capitalism. If you smother it, you run the risk of constricting the whole economy for decades to come.

Anglo-saxon is a state of mind, and minds need to change.

Coyote
    Free Member

Hang, draw and quarter Sir Fred. Then send the portions to the City as a warning to the rest of the chickenshit poltroons.

*Edit: Couldn't agree more with El Bent, right on the button.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Elbent – anglo-saxon is not a state of mind. It's a recognised system of capitalism in the same way that the alliance model is in Germany and Japan and the Dirigeste system in France.

Coyote
    Free Member

Geetee, did you lose your job as a result of the recession brought about by the bankers greed and incompetence?

The-Tall-Man
    Free Member

Bunch of ignorant, selfish, deluded and down right C'#t's
    I hope that bank goes under BIG TIME! with no money left to bail them out, they can take them s'#t houses Lloyds with em an all.

geetee1972
    Free Member

No I lost my job because of the worst recession since the 1920s, brought about by a massive over inflation of asset values primarily in the housing market, which the vast majority of us took part in.

It's a sh*t situation, but one group of people did not cause it, we all did. Yes we need to introduce regulation to address the worst excesses of period, but castigating one group of people is reactionary and ill informed.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

I find the salaries / bonuses of investment bankers fairly obscene, certainly compared to nurses / doctors / teachers / etc etc etc… but the reality of our free market economy is these people are extremely good at what they do (making profit for their employers & shareholders) and if the market dictates that's what they need to be paid then that is how it will be.

Alternatives? Well Stalin and Lenin had some great ideas, but in practice…..?

And as for the "should have let the banks fail" attitudes – really? So tell me how things would function if a couple of the main clearing banks had gone under?

Again, my leanings have always been (very) slightly left of centre, and I find the renumeration of top bankers grossly exessive, but I don't see any current alternative.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

"geetee1972 – Member
    No I lost my job because of the worst recession since the 1920s, brought about by a massive over inflation of asset values primarily in the housing market, which the vast majority of us took part in.

It's a sh*t situation, but one group of people did not cause it, we all did. Yes we need to introduce regulation to address the worst excesses of period, but castigating one group of people is reactionary and ill informed. "

Absolutely

geetee1972
    Free Member

Aka – I think you put the argument perfectly.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘RBS Directors – can i have a pint of what they've been drinking please?’ is closed to new replies.