Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Raw milk: will I die?
  • cinnamon_girl

Drinking raw milk in my coffee, will it all end in tears?

Or should I have had Black Coffee, any excuse for listening to Humble Pie with Steve Marriott on top form:

https://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tNoSmlnxwQ

whitestone
    Free Member

No!

Or at least it’s very unlikely.

epicyclo

Depends how dirty the conditions the cow is kept in.

Open field, I wouldn’t worry.

Shitty barn, no thanks.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jimdubleyou

will I die?

It is highly likely that you will.

As to raw milk causing it, if you’re generally healthy you should be able to cope with a bout of E coli, salmonellacampylobacter or listeria so probably not.

molgrips
    Free Member

Is there something wrong with pasteurised milk?

hols2
    Free Member

Unlikely, but if you do, it will be slow and horrible. Best to stick with black coffee.

cinnamon_girl

From a local farm and it’s in a glass bottle.  I’m not healthy but this may help my gut.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m not healthy but this may help my gut.

Hmm.. Sceptical…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Depends how dirty the conditions the cow is kept in.

Open field, I wouldn’t worry.

Shitty barn, no thanks.

This..

We have cattle on the Farm, fine in summer months to drink direct from them if you are that way inclined.. but during winter stuck inside barns isn’t the cleanest of options TBH.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Raw milk + hot coffee = pasteurized milk + slightly less hot coffee.

cinnamon_girl

Usually drink lactose-free and the price keeps increasing.  Have bought a litre, apparently in the Summer they sell cream.  Also sell eggs and meat.

oldejeans
    Free Member

I grew up on it.  think I’m ok.

molgrips
    Free Member

Still full of lactose though no?

torsoinalake
    Free Member

You’ll be fine. In-laws sold it on the milk round for years.  It does taste different when the cows are indoors – different feed.

frogstomp

The dairy round the corner from me and have been selling raw milk for a couple of years.. people come from miles away! Going back to full-fat took a bit of getting used to, but no noticeable ill-effects.

It can cause issues if your immune system isn’t fully-functional. Lots of information about the risks, hygiene standards etc. here.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

local farm round here sells it from a vending machine, no reports of death

https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news/local-news/thats-right-lincolnshire-very-raw-335756

cinnamon_girl

Assuming it is full of lactose so, yes, good point and will be interesting to see whether all that fat and rawness changes anything.

Yes, this farm is popular and also has a vending machine to dispense.  It comes in plastic bottles but you can buy or bring your own glass bottle.  Not really considering this any riskier than shop-bought milk and the proper test will be in the morning with my porridge.

molgrips
    Free Member

Pasteurisation is just heating it up though isn’t it?  As said above, by putting it in hot coffee or porridge you’re pasteurising it yourself anyway.

More fat though – that is a good thing I’d imagine, because the fat will fill you up more for longer.  But that’s another fish park.

Study on raw milk in lactose intolerance here found no difference between that and raw milk:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3948760/

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for the link molgrips and shall have a read.  A very speedy look and saw that they were drinking a large daily amount.  Had assumed that the result of drinking skimmed milk for decades was lactose intolerance but actually it turned out not to be.  Added to which my daughter can only drink lactose-free milk otherwise she suffers.  The lactose-free milk I’ve been drinking for a good few years now is semi-skimmed so, for me anyway, having fat helps with digestive issues.  Yes, our bodies do need fat but unfortunately many years ago the public were told low fat.

All interesting stuff!

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

brought up on dairy farm drank ‘raw’ milk every day for years, no ill affects 😉

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Raw just means unpasteurized. But the much bigger difference is that it’s almost certainly un-homogenized. In my view, homogenization has more of an impact than pasteurization. Though i have no science to back that up.

rone

I have been having raw milk for years. The place that supplies it should adhere to very high standards. Ours does.

The reason for pasteurisation is to deal with the shit standards employed by mass farming. So not a bad thing.

The pasteurisation process destroys certain good bacteria, and to me reduces the texture in flavour.

Also Raw milk comes straight from the dairy by law so it’s nice to pay the farmer direct.

shermer75
    Free Member

Tin Soldier avec PP Arnold:

dannybgoode

Raw just means unpasteurized. But the much bigger difference is that it’s almost certainly un-homogenized. In my view, homogenization has more of an impact than pasteurization. Though i have no science to back that up.

You’ve hit in an interesting point. When I was suffering from colitis I was told to avoid homogenization as it was not as good for your gut – something to do with the fat molecule size.

From memory there has been research done into this but it was a long time ago I looked.

molgrips
    Free Member

Waitrose Duchy Original milk is both organic and un-homogenised.

eemy
    Free Member

He said you want it pasteurised?
    ‘Cos pasteurised is best.
    She said, “Ernie I’ll be happy if it comes up to me chest.”

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Have you had your TB jab ?

slackalice
    Free Member

Goat Kefir FTW.

https://www.chucklinggoat.co.uk/product/live-goats-milk-kefir/

I’ve removed as much cow dairy from my diet and replaced with goat products and my psoriasis is no more.

As for the kefir, I haven’t tried it yet, so can’t comment as to it’s effectiveness for the healing you seek.

HTH

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yeah. It’s tasteless and has no cream on the top. If I could easily get raw milk I’d drink nothing else. I’ve had it many many times over the years, as a kid my best mates dad was a dairy farmer. Straight out of the cow, through a filter, into a vat, big jug, bingo!

i had some recently too -big glass full – After getting used to modern semi skimmed it would need taste buds adjusting, but it was sooooooo creamy. 😀

Twodogs

Yeah. It’s tasteless and has no cream on the top.

That’s homogenized milk, innit?

Twodogs

If you’re really unlucky, you’ll get Brucellosis

frankconway

Lived in very rural farming village in north nottinghamshire for about 15 years; farming neighbour only drank ‘green milk’ as he had since childhood with no obvious problems.

He was graddy, captained the ‘3 counties’ RU team, successful and profitable farmer.

As for the taste of milk…….no idea.

GrahamS

If you are concerned about milk is it not easier just to give it up?

I avoid milk these days.

A few years ago a mate of mine suggested it might help my constantly snotty sinuses. He had noticed his were much better after he had to give up milk as part of his MS treatment. I gave it a shot and noticed a definite improvement (anecdotal. Sample size 2 😛)

I’m not dairy-free by any means. I still eat cheese and butter and products containing milk powder etc (which is really hard to avoid!).

I mostly just switched to black coffee, stopped drinking milk and stopped having milk on cereal. It is no particular hardship and I feel better for it. (yes, could be placebo. Who knows)

martinhutch

Or just have double cream in coffee. Quite nice when you get used to it.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure pasteurisation doesn’t affect the flavour. It kills bacteria and nothing more. And back in the day when I were a lad the pasteurised full fat milk our milkman used to deliver had a nice creamy top on it – so again, pasteurisation has nothing to do with the lack of creamy head. Now my gran used to get sterilised milk and that was rank. Bt then again she used tracing paper toilet paper so was a bit bonkers.

Full fat raw milk is delicious, but us consumers want our cake and eat it and like to buy cheap milk – often imported, and like it to last in the fridge for a week before going off so we don’t have to keep popping out to the shops for milk, so pasteurisation helps increase the life of the milk as all those pesky bacteria the pasturisation process gets rid of have a habit of multiplying.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Dairy is bad for your gut

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah I read that on the internet too!

Jamz
    Free Member

American website, but interesting to read non the less… (note that Americans prefer the word real to raw).

https://www.realmilk.com/

Nico
    Free Member

From Wikipedia:

Milk is an excellent medium for microbial growth,[14] and when stored at ambient temperature bacteria and other pathogens soon proliferate.[15]

The US Centers for Disease Control (CDC) says improperly handled raw milk is responsible for nearly three times more hospitalizations than any other food-borne disease source, making it one of the world’s most dangerous food products.[16][17] Diseases prevented by pasteurization can include tuberculosis, brucellosis, diphtheria, scarlet fever, and Q-fever; it also kills the harmful bacteria Salmonella, Listeria, Yersinia, Campylobacter, Staphylococcus aureus, and Escherichia coli O157:H7,[18][19] among others.

GrahamS

That’s just what Big Dairy want you to think… or something. 😀

Besides the world has had enough of experts telling us what to do. If I want to wash down my raw chicken with raw milk then that’s my business.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Raw milk: will I die?’ is closed to new replies.