Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Raw frame owners – do you helitape?
  • chakaping
    Free Member

As per title, when prepping a raw alu frame, is there any point in adding protective tape to the high-wear areas that I would on a painted frame?

I went full Invisiframe on the only raw frame I’ve owned before, so I’ve no idea how they hold up without protection.

It’s quite a shiny raw FWIW.

ta11pau1

Nope. Raw titanium and raw Nicolai alloy, both can be ‘buffed’ up using a scotchbrite pad, there’s no point in invisiframe.

Check though that it’s a true raw frame, ie no lacquer.

chakaping
    Free Member

It is lacquered, I believe.

Does that mean it’s “fake raw”?

😀

ta11pau1

It is lacquered, I believe.

Pretty much, yeah 🤣

You get all the looks but none of the true benefits of a raw frame, ie. not having to worry about scratches, rub marks etc.

stevextc
    Free Member

I suppose … not sure I’d remove it but ???
    so my raw frame cost less than the invisframe would so not an option.
    Didn’t come particularly shiny but scotchbrite and it looks great. A few buff and scratches later and scotchbrite and it looks great again.

BillOddie

I have a lacquered “raw” frame.

It chips, put tape in the normal chippy places, i.e. chain and rock strikes.

Didn’t bother elsewhere.

escrs
    Free Member

Personally i would add protection to any high wear areas espcially anywhere a cable might rub

Have seen a mates gear cable slowly rub away the paint and then the the rigid alloy fork on his fat bike

It now has a nice cable sized groove in the fork, god knows why he didnt listen to us telling him it was wearing the paint and to fit some protection tape and then keep an eye on it!

Looks similar to this!!

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=89618.0

chakaping
    Free Member

I have a lacquered “raw” frame.

It chips, put tape in the normal chippy places, i.e. chain and rock strikes.

Tape it is then, cheers all 👍

b33k34

Definitely tape anywhere that there is a risk of cable rub – I’ve seen cables cut completely through alu tubes before. Paint offers some protection (or at least something else to rub away first) ano less, but a raw frame you’re going straight through the metal.

superstu
    Free Member

Personally i would add protection to any high wear areas espcially anywhere a cable might rub

Have seen a mates gear cable slowly rub away the paint and then the the rigid alloy fork on his fat bike

this ^^

Headtube, fork leg, other areas as appropriate

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.