Viewing 27 posts - 81 through 107 (of 107 total)
  • Raw bike? Show me and tips please
  • Euro
    Free Member

WOW! George that’s a beauty.

To those thinking about it (ron). Do it! Sure it’s a ballache at times, but the rewards are worth it. I may be just scraping and rubbing (lots of), but it’s therapeutic and a real man/object bonding experience. It’s over 20 years since i’ve had a bike that’s been as much mine as this one. And that was a peach. Can’t wait to finish and ride my special friend. I’m off to rub some fork legs 😀

Bregante

I occasionally get the urge to get my Helius stripped – show those welds off!

sefton
    Free Member

Euro
    Free Member

Pretty much done now. Awaiting decals and an new sprocket.

Here’s before…

and after…

Not 100% convinced Operation Interesting Forks has been a sucsess…

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

The frame looks ace mate, great job.

The forks hmmm i’m not so sure.

tazzymtb

really like those forks!

timbo678
    Free Member

Looks awesome, I am still going, love the forks

teasel
    Free Member

Excellent job. Like the forks; very abstract art-esque…

mtbtomo
    Free Member

+1 for the forks!

sefton
    Free Member

I_Ache
    Free Member

I really want a jump bike after this thread. I can’t jump.

Euro
    Free Member

Keep at it timbo, it’ll be worth it.

Forks look great on their own, less so on the bike imo, but they’re growing on me.

HermanShake
    Free Member

OOF! Looks great 🙂

I like the forks have taken on a sort of bone effect, the finish really progressed Euro. Did you use a drill bit sander to finish it? It’s quite consistent.

tomhoward

Looks really good! Going to do the same to my inbred at some point, sooner now I’ve seen that! Like the idea of the forks too, though if the ends were black, it would look all the more teh orsums IMO.

Euro
    Free Member

Did you use a drill bit sander to finish it?

Nope, completely hand finished by flossing with those wire pads. I was sorely tempted to get the drill out (when the paint was being stubborn), but was relishing the challenge so carried on.

jamesey
    Free Member

ihave a frame that i want to strip(raw.) it has easton tubeing.
    was thinking of useing cautic soda.
    all looking really good. 8)

stevenk4563
    Free Member

Are you going to clearcoat it, or leave it as is?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

My Heckler mid build last night.

Raw aluminium with a clear coat.

_tom_
    Free Member

Looks great Euro, really like the forks as well 🙂

mindmap3
    Free Member

I like the forks.

Frame has come up really well…so much so that I’m wondering if I should raw my SX rather than have it repainted. Hmmm.

Euro
    Free Member

Cheers lads.

Keeping it uncoated for now. I guess you can get away with a jump bike looking grotty and i’m interested to see what happens to it over time. If it starts to look bad (not Michael Jackson bad) then i’ll give it a quick tidy up and clearcoat it.

Looking good Mosey.

kayak23

Looks brilliant. Thinking of doing this to my Charge fixie. I’ve heard of folks just wiping boiled linseed oil over the uncoated frame…

stevenk4563
    Free Member

Keeping it uncoated for now. I guess you can get away with a jump bike looking grotty and i’m interested to see what happens to it over time. If it starts to look bad (not Michael Jackson bad) then i’ll give it a quick tidy up and clearcoat it.

Pics when it has aged a bit would be good. 🙂

timbo678
    Free Member

I am steadily getting along with mine, couple more days and she’ll be looking very clean – B&Q stuff is very good

What is the best site for hosting pics without posting a link like flickr?

kayak23

Hey Euro, how is the frame looking now? Clearcoated it yet?

Euro
    Free Member

Kayak, it looks as good/bad as the day it was finished. I’d like to say this was down the quality of my sanding, but the reality is it hasn’t left the shed 😳 (i blame the stumpy evo for that)

kayak23

Did you put any finish on it at all? I’d have thought even in a shed it may have started to get surface corrosion.
    I’ve just got a cheap DMR that I fancy doing the same with. Got to get the welded seatpost out first mind.. 🙁

Viewing 27 posts - 81 through 107 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘Raw bike? Show me and tips please’ is closed to new replies.