Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Raw Aluminium Frame Looking a Bit Tired… What to do?
  • iwluap

Hi, my bike frame is raw aluminium, which is now looking a bit tired, mottled and dull. It’s about 4 years old. I like the raw finsh, because I am not as fussed about chips and scratches as I would be if it was painted, but I would like to rejuvinate it.

Any hints or tips on how to get it looking better? My thoughts are brushing/polishing or getting the frame powder coated (I know this is contrary to my above comments about chips and scratches!). But I have no experience of either buffing up aluminium or powder coating.

All advice and experiences welcomed!

neilthewheel

I had my Orange Evo2 shotblasted and powder coated for that same reason. It came up ve ry well. Powder coat is pretty hard wearing. Even a raw finish would need a laquer coat to stop it oxidising.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Give it a good rub over with scotch brite or course wire wool. Brillo pads will work ok but there a bit soft.

elliptic
    Free Member

If you want to bring back some shinyness then here’s your weapon:-

iwluap

Thanks for the replies! Looks like buffing up the raw look will need some elbow grease, which is to be expected.

Neil – how are you finding the powder coat? Did you go for a fancy colour? A change like that could make it seem like a whole new bike?!

I_Ache
    Free Member

Just rub it down with wire wool. As long as you don’t want it to shine you shouldn’t have to put that much effort in.

On my old frame I just have it a light rub down every now and again.

Olly
    Free Member

pft. Elbow grease? Get a soft wire wheel or sanding flail for your drill!

neilthewheel

I just had it powder coated white – it was a few years ago now but people still ask me if I’ve got a new bike!

stevied
    Free Member

When I bought my frame, 2nd hand, it had been rawed and looked pretty tatty so I got it sprayed. This lasted quite well but was chipped fairly easily. Then got bored of the colour and fancied a changed so had it powder coated. The finish is much tougher and is lasting very well (with the help of some helitape).
    When I got it:

Painted:

Powder Coated:

I like a good raw finish but it does take some work to get it looking good and not just ‘rubbed down’.

GSI-MAN
    Free Member

Buy some Autosol from Halfords or similar places.
    Looks like a tube of toothpaste and within half an hour you will have a frame that looks new again.
    Simples 😀

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Raw Aluminium Frame Looking a Bit Tired… What to do?’ is closed to new replies.