Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Rattly Stans Rim – WWSTWD
  • wwaswas

There’s a ‘T’ piece in this pic which is supposed to be at the join on the rim (to support it I guess?) but is loose and rattling. It can’t get past the spoke heads either side nor is it coming out through the rim bed.

I thought I’d just get a bit of silicone sealant in there, push it back so it’s over the join again and then leave it.

I’m doing the SDW in a day in 2 weeks and this is going to be the front wheel on a rigid bike. Will I die?

simondbarnes

You will die, but probably not because of this. I’d just chuck a bit of silicone sealant or similar in there.

TimP
    Free Member

If it’s rattly and annoying, its only 12 hours of riding that you will have to listen to it for

cynic-al
    Free Member

Epoxy

sharkattack

I’d just get it into position and drizzle some super glue in then forget about it.

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

I’m guessing that could be the source of my rattle/slap inside my Stans rim too-I had a good look but couldn’t see what was causing it .

wwaswas

had a good look but couldn’t see what was causing it

I convinced myself I’d dropped a nipple in there when building it up and not noticed – very similar sound but stayed in the same part of the rim where’s nipples wander.

coatesy
    Free Member

A smack with a centre punch works on Mavics, and is far more macho than glue 🙂 .I’ve not tried it on Stans though, and take no responsibility for any holes that may appear.

mick_r

Mine did it years ago – ignored it and went away (presume gunked up with mud or something).

timbur
    Free Member

What TimP said.
    It only rattles if you’re riding too slow anyway so get a leg on!

wwaswas

Top Tip:

Having stopped the rattle with silicone sealant do make sure you’ve got any excess off the rim bed or the Stans yellow tape you then use to make the rim seal for tubeless won’t stick properly and you’ll end up having to fit a tube 20 minutes into the ride you start an hour later.

Cheezpleez

Just had this on a Stans Arch. Fixed it by emptying a tube of superglue into the nearest spoke hole.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Rattly Stans Rim – WWSTWD’ is closed to new replies.