Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Rate your ability to speak English . . . .
  • pistonbroke
    Free Member

Diez y media. Ay up Tony. Just working out the plan of campaign for the Vuelta, looks like we’ll be at the finish in Tarragona, the TT in Logroño and a couple of mountain finishes in the Picos, you??

igm

martinhutch – Member
    Perhaps you could supply some fixed points to aid the numerical conversion. I’m assuming 10 = Jacob Rees-Mogg? 1 = Donald Trump?

Where would Billy Connolly be on that scale? 15 or so I think.

spekkie
    Free Member

I didn’t quantify the question because this is exactly how I was asked the question on a job application form here in Spain.
    I put “10 – fluently” Because I know there isn’t anyone anywhere near here that can argue the point 🙂

In real life, the size of your vocabulary – “extensive” or “caveman” – would be important. It’s no good being able to pronounce the only 20 words you know correctly if you still only know 20 words.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    spekkie
    Free Member

Hey Duncan – not sure about the Vuelta. Not being in possession of a lovely camper van means our plans get more complicated!

Might head west for a stage though – and maybe visit Pamplona while we’re there . . . .

5thElefant
    Free Member

Queens English – 4
    Technobollocks – 9
    Two bears please – 5

ton

reight gradley.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

There’s a 42km ITT along the road from Pamplona to Logroño on 5th of Sept which we’re going to then a mountain stage in the Cantabrian mountains the day after. We’re planning to camp here San Roque as it’s near the finish line.

igm

You’ve mispronounced that Ton

thejesmonddingo

Barnsley born and bred,so orreyt !

bob_summers

I didn’t quantify the question because this is exactly how I was asked the question on a job application form here in Spain.
    I put “10 – fluently”

Was that the only option Spekkie? I’d imagine you speak natively, which rather trumps fluently (eg I speak Spanish fluently but can’t claim natively, whereas my OH speaks English as a 2nd* language at near-native level)
    *actually, 3rd

It’s not quite the same thing, but I teach ESL up to C2 level (ie the highest tested) and often have to do the exams myself. They’re not easy, esecially in the given time limits, and I reckon most native English speakers would struggle if they hadn’t practised the exam format beforehand.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I think the standard terminology for such job related forms is ‘native speaker’.

bruneep

The brits abroad default is to shout loud and slowly so the natives understand, is it not.

spekkie
    Free Member

bob – the exact question was:

“¿Cual es tu nivel de inglés entre cero y diez? ¿Y de otros idiomas?”

(What is your English level between zero and ten? What about other languages?)

Which shows exactly why they need someone to help them. As you say, Native trumps Fluent by a long way.

bruneep – increase volume until you get the desired result.

🙂

vickypea
    Free Member

am i speaking it , typing it, or copying and pasting it ?

0 points for reading 😉

chewkw
    Free Member

My English is almost perfect for me. You like? 😆

How much? Too expensive! I give £££. Thank you. Everyone happy. 😆

donald
    Free Member

Basic Engly twentyfido in jawflappy? Fivelode out of tenly – indeedy ho

Deep Joy

bruneep
    bikebouy
    Free Member

S’poze y’all speak fine, an dandy.

American English’isms with QE/RP highlights thrown in for a’fitten in.

So, 9/10 because I can actually be understood.

However, regional accents and colloquialisms should be championed and spoken proudly.

I really dislike the dumbing down of accents…

thomthumb
    Free Member

They’re or theirabouts a nine.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Deep Joy

Fableous!

At a sprightly 41 I don’t imagine there are many of my generation who have a clue who Stanley Unwin was. Their loss.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Deep Joy

[video]https://youtu.be/KBJJ6I5a5pk[/video]

jamj1974

I do Rob. Thanks to The Small Faces.

CountZero

Deep Joy
    😆

matt_outandabout

thestabiliser – Member
    Sethara

Tethera

matt_outandabout

Whaaaaasssssuuuuup?

whitestone
    Free Member

It’s not my ability to speak English that is in question, it’s the ability of those listening to hear and understand what is actually being said. 😉

seosamh77
    Free Member

Wan.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yan a dick

perchypanther
    Free Member

Pimp

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Bumfit

Northwind

I keep trying to get work to put us through an IELTS test, just to see how we’d do. There’s a pretty good chance I’d fail a Pearson automated test because of my accent though.

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Rate your ability to speak English . . . .’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts