Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 749 total)
  • Rate my Brickie….
  • footflaps

Apologies re questioning your measure,

You did make my pulse race, I though ‘sh**, have I got it totally wrong and ordered way too much’!!!

chunkypaul
    Free Member

secret trainspotter?

DrP

That’s 10 bricks per hour…….
    Ten!
    Six minutes per brick……

My son could lay that. He’s 2…

DrP

footflaps

DrP – What’s you son doing next week?

😉

myheadsashed

Footflaps Had my garage roof tiled today…

Mines 9.5 x 3.5 with 3 lintels a mixture of bricks and blocks with a 9″ internal wall, 9″ wall at front and back and a reinforced retaining wall 12″ on one side upto with 1200, roof is a mono pitch, max height is about 12′ . Labour was £2100 for the base and brickwork. The base alone was 9 cube of concrete. The price included digging out of the base and drainage. Roofer is another £800.

It”s taken 3 weeks but the weather tbf has been mostly appalling. 😳

What are you paying?

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

best thread in ages. 🙂

ski
    Free Member

saying that, a time laps video of the shed being built would have been quite cool too

DrP

Pre school wed and thurs, and he’s tiling the neighbours roof the other days….

DrP

footflaps

I’m paying £150/day for the brickie, which is generous, but this is Cambridge, so there is no recession and no shortage of building work, so prices haven’t fallen at all in the last 5 years. The biggest problem is finding anyone free.

Markie
    Free Member

The biggest problem is finding anyone competent who’s free…

Good luck.

footflaps

NB For the whole project I had quotes between £30k and £40k, hence I went down the DIY route as that was pretty insane. My father in law is a QS and priced it at £12-£15k depending on material choice / finish. E.g. to keep planning happy I’m using hand made imperial bricks for the front face.

Edit: I’m in a conservation area, so need planning to take a tree down or change the colour of my front door…

wrightyson
    Free Member

**** me!
    Do you have a room to rent?
    I’d even sleep in the shed if…..

nealglover
    Free Member

DrP

Think I just peed a bit 🙂

footflaps

DrP

Week after?

tthew

So, 30 bricks and 40 blocks for 150 quid.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Edit: I’m in a conservation area, so need planning to take a tree down or change the colour of my front door…

You’re joking now aren’t you…. You nearly got me there 🙂

wrightyson
    Free Member

As an aside please keep an eye on how he bonds the pillars in down the main wall as that’s a fair stretch for single skin, and the front elevation wants to be block bonded around the corner onto the main walls! Don’t let him take the block work up straight nick then build the front separately!

footflaps

**** me!
    Do you have a room to rent?
    I’d even sleep in the shed if…..

Sounds great until you realise that everything costs more here – it’s a little central London driven bubble in the heart of East Anglia. Salaries are higher, but house prices, rent, food, tradespeople, transport, shops, all cost more….

Jamie
    Free Member

I did notice the nesting area of the 12:45 from Peterborough in the background.

footflaps

As an aside please keep an eye on how he bonds the pillars in down the main wall as that’s a fair stretch for single skin, and the front elevation wants to be block bonded around the corner onto the main walls! Don’t let him take the block work up straight nick then build the front separately!

Butterfly ties in the piers. The Engineer specified one every 2m. As for the front, the imperial bricks don’t line up well with the blocks so the plan is to use a metal frame thing bolted to a straight edge of blocks and fold down the ties at the right level for the brick mortar lines….

footflaps

I did notice the nesting area of the 12:45 from Peterborough in the background.

Apparently we’re an outstanding example of Victorian architecture / town planning which must be preserved for future generations. Basically means there are zero changes you can make without full planning inc removing trees / fences etc and any application can be refused on aesthetic grounds.

footflaps

Personally I think it’s quite a grotty area of town and could do with some major modernisation….

wrightyson
    Free Member

Imperials. Lovely!

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Sack him!!!!!! **** me pal thats poor progress

myheadsashed

A skydiver a brick 😯

Jesus 😳

Junkyard
    Free Member

Apparently we’re an outstanding example of Victorian architecture / town planning

The galvanised rails, the electrified lines and that monstrosity opposite you that gives it all away as Victorian.

footflaps

The galvanised rails, the electrified lines and that monstrosity opposite you that gives it all away as Victorian.

Yep, I was pretty gobsmacked we were made a Conservation area…

ziggy
    Free Member

saying that, a time laps video of the shed being built would have been quite cool too

That’s going to be one hell of a long video!

Jamie
    Free Member

It’s probably Number 88’s bin. Defo looks Victorian.

pingu66
    Free Member

I bet if it was a fixed price job he would have it done by the weekend.

At least Dick Turpin wore a mask. Ah Victorian England.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

This is exactly what i was talking about in another post, get quotes first and use a tradesman who friends have used and come reccomended. And if you have to wait for a good lad its worth it, if they can start tomorrow just think why??? No work in due to what reason???

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Wthell is going on with him, I do odd bit of dry stone walling as an intermediate st mason and can prep and put up quite well positioned imho stone quicker than what that scruff bag in the photo on orig post looka like if the info we are going on is factual which it no doubt is.

You need that short bald sexually stunted bloke off TV to come a knockin on his back door!

Lol!

Onzadog
    Free Member

I hope you’re not planning on putting any bikes with fashionably wide bars in there. Doesn’t look like they’ll get through the door once the frame is fitted.

toby1

Note: there are villages around the Cambridge area for the peasants to live in (I.e. me)

🙂

duckman

footflaps – Member

Posted 10 hours ago # Report-Post

Can’t see an Orange five in the picture?

I was a plasterer; he is taking the piss with his progress, having said that,if you are paying day rates I will drive down and harl it for you

organic355
    Free Member

Is the doorway big enough to get everything in? looks small? May struggle if youve got any large equipment, fridges etc?

That block of block on the right of the street pic looks like its going to tople over?

Helios
    Free Member

toby1 – Member

Note: there are villages around the Cambridge area for the peasants to live in (I.e. me)

Those of us a few steps above peasant but several steps below Cambridge Mill Road’s “unique independent character*” live in Ely…

*This means they’re not allowed a Sainsbury’s

martinhutch

Phone him on his mobile pretending to be another customer. Offer him a job starting next Monday, paying him £150 a day…

footflaps

Is the doorway big enough to get everything in? looks small? May struggle if youve got any large equipment, fridges etc?

Doorway will be 1800mm, so plenty wide enough. Doorways go on top of two courses of bricks, the gap is to allow him to brush the water out as it’s been pissing down all week here.

That block of block on the right of the street pic looks like its going to tople over?

Yes that was nicely position by the local builder’s merchant – I had to brace it with wood before cutting the straps as it collapsed as soon as I did.

wwaswas

Still struggling to come to terms with the fact you’re prepared to pay £15k for a bike shed, tbh 🙁

You could by lots of bikes for that.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 749 total)

The topic ‘Rate my Brickie….’ is closed to new replies.