Viewing 40 posts - 521 through 560 (of 749 total)
  • Rate my Brickie….
  • footflaps

‘The Mausoleum’

You jest, but there was an Italian neighbour who sold the house but kept 80% of the garden and then once the new owners had moved in he applied for planning permission for a huge Mausoleum in their garden. Didn’t get approved!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/3303568/Death-wish-in-suburbia.html

footflaps

Roofers will finish this morning – only 18″ of slates to go and the ridge tiles to bed in place:

4 Dec 2012 08:25 by brf, on Flickr

Almost there! by brf, on Flickr

Edge slates by brf, on Flickr

Only slight spanner in the works is the back door I bought seems to have been pre-dented:

Pre-dented door….. by brf, on Flickr

I am tempted just to fit it anyway, as it’s just cosmetic….

granny_ring

Surely not……

trail_rat
    Free Member

Pre bashed in back doors ???

* someone had to say it

footflaps

Pre bashed in back doors ???

I know, it just feels dirty…..

qwerty
    Free Member

my builds a blur

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Great thread, keep on with the updates.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Fix this effing glitch!!.!!!

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Glitch bump?

Tom-B
    Free Member

Max clifford

footflaps

Had the first shipment of Celotex this morning:

Celotex arriving by brf, on Flickr

1st shipment of Celotex (38/68 sheets) by brf, on Flickr

This is for rafter infill (70mm), line walls with 100mm between pillars and cover the floor (100mm). Walls and rafters then get a 50mm/12.5mm plaster board bonded layer, which arrives next week.

Should be quite snug by the time all this is installed…..

kiwijohn

You’ll never get that lot in a Focus.

footflaps

You’ll never get that lot in a Focus.

Don’t be silly, we’ve got roof bars! 😉

wrightyson
    Free Member

Going over old ground here flaps but what’s stopping the damp coming thro the walls?

footflaps

Paint the outside and even if some damp does get through, 100mm of Celotex is impermeable, so it won’t go anywhere.

The whole inside is drying out quite nicely now the roof is on, even though its been pissing down outside recently.

boblo
    Free Member

You’ll never get that lot in a Focus

Nah, he got it from B&Q not Focus… errrrmmm…shuffle, wibble, shuffle…

matt_outandabout

Going over old ground here flaps but what’s stopping the damp coming thro the walls?

Whatever stops damp coming in any solid wall house, of which there are millions in the uk.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’d suggest Matt that there are sod all 4″ construction houses around!

bigbloke
    Free Member

We need internal pics now too Flaps please the build needs to move on 🙂

heckler73
    Free Member

some amount of money spent on that structure. better built than some houses, must be some bikes in there, did my garage into a gym,workshop sauna years ago, lucky im a carpenter and cost me peanuts, enjoy though the escapism rocks

andylaightscat
    Free Member

In sheltered areas 9″ walls are accepted as being weather resistant,
    however as far as I can remember Celotex shouldn’t be applied to 4″ walls

cotic853
    Free Member

Went passed on the train today and was pleased to see the roof on – but have you painted the render pink or were my eyes decieved ?

nealglover
    Free Member

Never heard that before.

What’s the reason ?

maccruiskeen

better built than some houses, must be some bikes in there

not bikes 🙂

trusslebabes
    Free Member

I’ve been enjoying following this thread thanks footflaps. I have got planning permission now to pull our old outbuilding down and rebuild it. I am impressed by your roof structure and would like to do something similar, I’m guessing you had a structural engineer to work out size of rsj and do you have any cross beams to make it like an A frame or don’t you need any?

Thanks and keep pics coming

footflaps

Went passed on the train today and was pleased to see the roof on – but have you painted the render pink or were my eyes decieved ?

Errr yes. But we can’t see the painted sides. We had a sunny weekend, so nipped round to Ridgeons and the trade masonry paint had either Black, White, Grey or something called Suffolk – so we went for that. Turns out it’s Suffolk Pink – we were quite surprised. NB Trade paint tins are all just white with a name on….

footflaps

In sheltered areas 9″ walls are accepted as being weather resistant,

Pretty much all Victorian houses are 9″ walls, and they are everywhere in the UK – make very nice dry houses…..

Utter nonsense. Cellotex is an polyisocyanurate closed cell foam bonded between two sheets of aluminium. Last time I checked, aluminnum wasn’t water soluble and neither is the foam. As for damp pouring through 4″ of concrete, we’re having a rather wet autumn right now, and I’ve got a very dry workshop shell…..

It’s even more nonsense eg when you build a standard cavity wall house, guess what you have in the gap right next to the 4″ wall – a layer of celotex or equivalent….

JoeG
    Free Member

A PINK mancave? 😆 😆 😆

footflaps

A PINK mancave?

Er yes… I’ve had quite a lot of stick from the neighbours about it…

footflaps

As for progress, I’ve just finished a 14 hour shift fitting the bloody stuff – horrible to work with – fine dust everywhere. I now have the lung function of a squirrel.

The first phase is 100mm in between the pillars, to make the walls flush. 70mm in between rafters. Then phase 2 is 50mm bonded to 12.5mm plaster board (damp proof board) will go flush over everything. So final depths will be 150mm on 4″ walls. 50mm on pillars. 120mm on the roof and 100mm on the floor.

8 Dec 2012 17:00 by brf, on Flickr

8 Dec 2012 17:00 by brf, on Flickr

8 Dec 2012 14:26 by brf, on Flickr

8 Dec 2012 19:55 by brf, on Flickr

althepal

Jeezo- are you allergic to kryptonite but looking to store your collection somewhere??

footflaps

Jeezo- are you allergic to kryptonite but looking to store your collection somewhere??

I intend to heat the workshop using a candle, so need to get my U value right down……

EDIT plus you seal the whole thing up with aluminium tape to stop any drafts between / around the panels – basically the Celotex forms a vapour barrier. By the time it’s done, they’ll be something insane like 400m of tape on there as there are so many panels in the roof…

letmetalktomark

Brilliant stuff.

Will you be doing tours once complete 😀

Ultimate man cave.

davidjones15
    Free Member

The world’s first Passiv Schuppen.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’ve been doing it wrong all these years 🙄
    How you fixing top layer of board flaps? You dabbed the first layer on the walls?

footflaps

Top layer will screw through to the rafters. For the walls I’ll bond it to the brick pillars, the piers are 1.7m apart and the boards are 2.4m long. They’ll bow a bit in the middle, if it looks terrible, I’ll just cut out a middle stud, be pretty quick to fit.

First insulation later complete by brf, on Flickr

First insulation later complete by brf, on Flickr

andylaightscat
    Free Member

Nealglover,
    manufacturers details apparently,had it pointed out to me by building control surveyor

matt_outandabout

Footflaps – Fisher make wall fixing plugs ( Termofix) for insulation boards that are ace. See if you can get a box – they do them in screw in wood, screw into masonry with rawl-plug attached and hammer fix epoxy. Means you should not have any bowing anywhere.

maccruiskeen

By the time it’s done, they’ll be something insane like 400m of tape on there

I think the phrase ‘something insane like’ can be used as a prefix to all your quantities 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 521 through 560 (of 749 total)

The topic ‘Rate my Brickie….’ is closed to new replies.