Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 749 total)
  • Rate my Brickie….
  • footflaps

End of play today:

Untitled by brf, on Flickr

For the eagle eyed amongst you, the frame for the Velux isn’t finished as it’s only single timber cross beams, it’s just marked out for size right now.

markrh
    Free Member

footflaps, sounds like you’ve enjoyed being so involved with the build 😀
    Was that always plan or just ‘cos of the now infamous bricky ?

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Whats that large blue thing beyond the joists?

footflaps

footflaps, sounds like you’ve enjoyed being so involved with the build
    Was that always plan or just ‘cos of the now infamous bricky ?

I was always going to PM the whole thing and do as much as possible DIY, but originally I had expected to do more stuff myself, eg joinery, but it sort of dawned on me that it was a bit larger than I’d realised and so many jobs are better suited to 1.5 men or two men, that it made more sense to hire professionals in, plus I’d quite like to get it finished asap, so I can do the fit out.

Greybeard
    Free Member

50mm steel back door

I know you’re building it like a bunker but… question is, will the Velux frames take the armoured glass?

footflaps

will the Velux frames take the armoured glass?

Armoured glass, that’s for amateurs, I’m having shutters made up from decommissioned explosive reactive tank armour…..

qwerty
    Free Member

50mm steel back door

I’d love to own the tool that could prise apart and penetrate your back doors prior to bashing them in good and proper.

😉

Sidney
    Free Member

qwerty, I’d imagine a few pints should achieve that

pingu66
    Free Member

Ooo er qwerty!

Footflaps sounds like you need to watch your er “back door”.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

50 mm back door will be a lock formed steel hinge door with two 1.2 mm (18swg) zintec sheet type door with a rebated 3 sided frame, circa $100 from ping pong land. Great door for this application with three point locking in a primer finish. Expect to pay £300 fitted. 900 x 2100 mm standard size. You can get in em with a crow bar if you know what your doing. Easier to drop through the velox though. 😆 ( may have a U value of 1.43 W/m2K)

davidjones15
    Free Member

( may have a U value of 1.43 W/m2K)

Are people still fitting windows with such poor U values?

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

davidjones15 – Member

( may have a U value of 1.43 W/m2K)

Are people still fitting windows with such poor U values?

Thats the door.

davidjones15
    Free Member

It was the Velux bit that confused me. Comment still stands. 😀

footflaps

Since the back door is only for occasional access, I don’t mind the poor U value as I’ll make a celotex cover to fit inbetween the returns.

Door is this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STEEL-DOOR-EXTERNAL-SECURITY-GARAGE-HOUSE-WOOD-UPVC-FIRE/261128088771

bruneep

Since the back door is only for occasional access

My back door is exit only.

JoeG
    Free Member

he shell will come in at £15k

You could buy a car several really nice bikes for that ! 😯

qwerty
    Free Member

Here is some progression on ours

It is great to see the walls going up on my project that Google/STW have helped out on. The difference between the brickies blocks and my attempt with the retaining wall is pretty stark to say the least!

footflaps

You could buy a car several really nice bikes for that !

The way I see it, is a small family car costs the same, but you only get 10 years out it, plus massive running costs. This workshop will still be here in 100 years time and will require very little maintenance…..

wwaswas

glitchy bump

footflaps

querty – what type of blocks are they – really odd colour?

qwerty
    Free Member

Their local blocks for local people. made in South Cerney, available nationally, fair faced, costa lotta but leaving as single skin nekkid so no render (except maybe to hide my 4 courses of butt fugly block work).
    I’m considering using the length of the wall as a climbing wall for our son.

footflaps

Anyone else find this thread doesn’t load properly when a new page starts? I get the old page until about 4 new posts have been made on the new one.

flatfish
    Free Member

The weak point of that door is the euro cylinder lock, takes me about 20 seconds, tops, to break into one of those, so I expect scrotes to be off with your bikes in no time at all.

Pigface
    Free Member

Footflaps its a problem witht the board when threads get to long, the problem on the Rugby threads get people very vexed 😆 it’s better than it used to be but is a pain.

footflaps

The weak point of that door is the euro cylinder lock, takes me about 20 seconds, tops, to break into one of those.

I’m not too worried about the lock, I can just bolt it from the inside or possibly weld a plate over the external key hole so you can’t access the barrel from outside.

meehaja
    Free Member

or buy a decent anti snap lock for about £40 and not worry about it?

footflaps

or buy a decent anti snap lock for about £40 and not worry about it?

I’ve looked at these, not really sure how good they are eg Avocet do anti-bump and anti-snap euro locks.

I’m not sure the one that comes with the door is a standard Euro lock as it has two installer keys which only work until a ‘standard’ key is used, at which point the installer keys no longer work – not seen that before.

footflaps

Chippies finished last night:

Untitled by brf, on Flickr

Rafters fitted by brf, on Flickr

Rafters fitted by brf, on Flickr

Rafter / Ridge Beam Joint by brf, on Flickr

Double timbers around Velux openings by brf, on Flickr

Rafter & Wall plate interface with Fascia board and soffit fitted by brf, on Flickr

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

He arrived at 8.30 and GF said he left at 4

14 pages and no one’s asked if Mrs flaps seemed unduly upset by him leaving?

I once saw a house where the man cave was built by a guy who owned a building reclamation yard. It was a miiturised church complete with stained glass windows, solid oak door, gargoyles, the lot! I did wonder if the workbench was an altar.

wrightyson
    Free Member

After everything else it’d nice to see you managed to get a good joiner! Nice few bits of attention to detail, nicely trimmed out for the velux’s etc! Onwards!

footflaps

After everything else it’d nice to see you managed to get a good joiner! Nice few bits of attention to detail, nicely trimmed out for the velux’s etc! Onwards!

Cheers wrightyson, good to know he’s done a good job!

blurty

I’ve often wondered why designers use steel at the ridge, if you thini about it it could be a thin pice of board really (The two sides/ pitches of a properly designed roof should balance out hence no steel required)

trail_rat
    Free Member

Steel ridge the garage is no bad thing . Some where to anchor the block and tackle 🙂 – just lifted an old boiler into my van on my jack jones and regret it ….. Wish i had an aframe sometimes.

footflaps

I’ve often wondered why designers use steel at the ridge

In this case it’s because there are no A frames, to keep the whole roof open for a mezzanine floor to be fitted.

Steel ridge the garage is no bad thing . Some where to anchor the block and tackle

yep, will be fitting a tracking block and tackle to it at some stage….

therag
    Free Member

Yeah, chippies have done a top job!
    Get them to do your fascias & sofit if you havnt already.

andylaightscat
    Free Member

nice tight joints/details there,going to bolt or Timberlock the doubled elements around the roof lights together?

senorj

best thread ever.
    puts my 8×6 shed into Sunday league status.
    Will you be fitting it out for Christmas??

footflaps

nice tight joints/details there,going to bolt or Timberlock the doubled elements around the roof lights together?

They were supposed to bolt them but forgot to do them, so I’ve got them back in ‘detention’ tonight to fit the bolts….

You have to watch everyone like a hawk in this building game 😉

Get them to do your fascias & sofit if you havnt already.

yep they have added that on as well.

footflaps

One question I have is why do Building regs insist on ‘twist nails’ for the joist hanger brackets?

andylaightscat
    Free Member

🙂 if they use Timberlocks they’ll need to use 4-5 times the number of bolts they were going to use.

Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 749 total)

The topic ‘Rate my Brickie….’ is closed to new replies.