Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Rat in a box – what would STW do?
  • BadlyWiredDog

It’s a long story, but the end result is that I now have a rat trapped in a crate of 12″ LP records. It jumped in through the handle slot to avoid me smashing its head in with a very big spanner when I found it under the eaves in our loft room. So now it’s trapped in there. There’s another crate on top and I’ve sealed up the entry point with some rat-proof steel mesh stapled in place. It can’t get out the other end because there’s a shedload of LPs in there too.

So now I’m at a loss as to what to do next. Ideally I’d carry it outside and simply release the little bastard back into the wild, but I’m suffering with long covid and can’t really see myself carrying a heavy crate of LPs down two flights of stairs with the hand holes blocked with mesh – I’d also have to seal the top of it to prevent it from jumping out, which I guess I could manage.

I don’t want to up-end the box and crush it under the weight of the records as that seems unnecessarily cruel. I don’t have an air gun so I can’t shoot it. And I don’t want it escaping into the house.

So, what would STW do?

ElVino

Big bin bag over the box and seal it up, sorry animal lovers rats are vermin

bearnecessities

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    pocpoc
    Free Member

Anything deadly you can spray in to the box?
    How much do you value the vinyl inside? It’s probably chewing/peeing/shitting on your prized LP’s right now.

Drac

They can chew breeze block an LP collection won’t hold them for long.

theotherjonv

length of tube (got any wrapping paper, poster tube, etc.) from the handle into a more portable container?

Once trapped you are not supposed to release in a new area, long thread on this a while back, so put a breakneck trap in that container before connecting it and resolve it that way?

BadlyWiredDog

Anything deadly you can spray in to the box?

Paco Rabanne?

jimmy

drop some rat poison into the box. Wait for the screams as it dies a slow, painful death.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

so put a breakneck trap in that container before connecting it and resolve it that way?

Yep, break neck trap in a suitable “escape” vessel and then let it from one into the other.

Re it being in the box, if you can’t see or hear it, it’s probably not. An average sized full grown rat will fit through a hole the Suze of a 5pence piece. It will also chew its way through most things in short order so unless your LPs are kept in a steel box this probably will resolve its self pretty soon.

BigJohn

If there’s a UB40 album in there it’s gonna fix that rat, that’s what it’s gonna do.

Or phone the council and get their vermin control.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Probably an unpopular opinion but you will earn massive karma points by letting the little fella free outside. I use to have a pet rat named mr sleeks. He was a lovely beast, and super intelligent as well.

Whatever you do don’t subject him to a slow death like the user above who suggested suffocating him to death with a bin bag.

p7eaven
    Free Member

drop some rat poison into the box. Wait for the screams as it dies a slow, painful death.

Zoosadism is pleasure derived from cruelty to animals. It is part of the Macdonald triad, a set of three behaviors that are considered a precursor to psychopathic behaviour.

BadlyWiredDog

There is a UB40 LP in there. There is also very definitely a rat. I stapled some steel mesh over the top, taped some plastic over the top and carried it outside – all masked and gloved-up. My gut instinct is to let it go into the custody of next door’s cat.

Joking aside. I don’t have a problem with externalised rats. I just don’t want them in the house which is now pretty thoroughly sealed up with a rat blocker in the drain seeming to have pretty much stopped all activity bar this little bastard :-/

I’m going to let him out to fend himself in the wild with a stern lecture 🙂

oreetmon
    Free Member

Long length of hose pipe + car exhaust fumes.

BadlyWiredDog

Long length of hose pipe + car exhaust fumes.

In the house? Interesting.

piha
    Free Member

Do you have any friendly crows nearby?

I saw a crow fly off with a rather large rat yesterday, presumably for Mr Crows supper.

BadlyWiredDog

We have a cat, a Westie and a hulking ex-Paratrooper living next door, but no crows. Anyway, the thing is back outside where it belongs now.

Fortuitously the only LP it had contact with was a Deacon Blue album, which is very definitely not mine and I have no idea where it came from, so that’s going straight in the bin. Mr Rat not very lively – I suspect he was tired, hungry and probably in shock. He’s scuttled off into the undergrowth.

Thanks for all the suggestions, useful and otherwise. I’m going to neck a strong decaf coffee – thank you long covid – and do some serious deep cleaning. The A24 rat killer is going into the eaves storage cupboard in case he has any mates. It’s been emotional 🙂

Cougar

At least you let it go with some Dignity.

twonks

If your house is sealed up with rat proof defences, I would just let it go outside.

Don’t like killing creatures so unless it is injured already and you are putting it out of it’s misery, let it go.

Nature will do what it does and the thing will then wither find it’s way to a habitat or get eaten.

Just don’t let it go within 1/4m of your house if it can get back in.

BadlyWiredDog
    fasthaggis

He’s scuttled off into the undergrowth.

No doubt will be heading back to Boomtown 😉

rhinofive

he’s a Real Gone Rat

BadlyWiredDog

🙂

abingham

Nice one OP, some of the suggestions on this thread were pretty heinous. I can only hope they were in jest.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member
    onewheelgood

https://ibb.co/93974WT

That’s not a rat, it’s a Chinese Hamster!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Presumably the only reason you didn’t want it in with your lps is that it was a single

Drac

Late to read the follow up and too late for the Dignity joke.  Damn it.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Rhino got in before me, so I’ll have to go with option three:

Just before the last Friday in the month…

feed

It is part of the Macdonald triad

Kill it quick, but expect repercussions, apparently it’s part of a Scot\Chinese criminal gang 🙂

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

He’s scuttled off into the undergrowth.

No doubt will be heading back to Boomtown 😉

I’d imagine anywhere in your town would do so long as it can take cover from the sky.

donald
    Free Member

If only you’d had a radiocative atom, a detector and a vial of poison.

maccruiskeen

Zoosadism is pleasure derived from cruelty to animals. It is part of the Macdonald triad, a set of three behaviors that are considered a precursor to psychopathic behaviour.

Collect them all, issue one only 99p

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Rat in a box – what would STW do?’ is closed to new replies.