Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Raspberry Pi running Windows 11
  • epicyclo

Got bored, so instead of mangling bikes I loaded Win 11 on my Raspberry Pi 4 (4Gb)

Runs very hot, and slow. Didn’t bother trying anything fancy on it.

However I got interested enough to order a Pi4 with 8Gb to see how it handles that. When it arrives I’ll have another go.

sirromj

Runs very hot, and slow.

So would I if you installed Windows 11 on me 😉

oldnpastit

I used a pi4 running Linux (xfce4) for daily work duties. Jira, conflurnce, etc. It was surprisingly OK. But after a week I replaced it with a regular pc, just a bit too slow.

geomickb
    Free Member

Next time forget Windows and install Retropie.

Earl
    Free Member

I’ve got a HP ‘netbook’. Win10 somehow takes up 30 of the non-expandable 32gb.

Hell knows why Windows is so bloated when 99% of us only want to surf the web and watch a movie.

How much more powerful is a Pi than Apollo 5? and Windows brings it to its knees?

zilog6128

However I got interested enough to order a Pi4 with 8Gb to see how it handles that. When it arrives I’ll have another go.

there’s a few people on the Pi groups have done it (as an intellectual exercise, don’t think anyone’s really been able to show a practical use for it!) and apparently the 8Gb is significantly better.

I used a pi4 running Linux (xfce4) for daily work duties.

I’ve got a Pi400 in the shed which I use for programming, web surfing, etc. It’s fine although slow. Think if I was using it all day it would get frustrating though!!

Next time forget Windows and install Retropie.

yeah! this is mine. (still needs a bit of work, like all my projects 🤣)

Cougar

I’m astonished that a Pi runs W11 at all.

@zilog6128
    > I have X-Arcade envy, I’ve lusted after that controller deck for years. A mate of mine is currently in the midst of an arcade cab build, maybe I should just do that also.

zilog6128

I have X-Arcade envy, I’ve lusted after that controller deck for years.

it’s awesome, highly recommended, nicely made! It’s very versatile obviously & if I ever build a full-size cab I can just drop it in. I found it years ago, in TK Maxx of all places, for not much at all so obviously could not resist! It was essentially a keyboard (came with an old-style ps/2 lead) but I recently re-wired it with some USB controllers off eBay so now it’s seen as 2x USB gamepads.

footflaps

I have no interest in running W11 on my W10 laptop, let alone on a Pi……

squirrelking
    Free Member

I have no interest in running W11 on my W10 laptop, let alone on a Pi……

Why? Serious question. 10 is coming up on 7 years old this year.

Why? It’s been designed to run on ARM chipsets and a Pi4 is a long long way from the original 256Mb Model B.

leffeboy

That.  It’s amazing it runs at all.  It’s impressive for all sorts of reasons

weester

I had the misfortune to work on a Windows 11 laptop (upgraded from 10 and the use hadn’t even realised) and it was awfull.

Windows 10 might be 7 years old but the latest update isn’t.

mattyfez

I’m half thinking about a super small PC to hide behind/gaffa tape to the back of a tv.
    Pi would be good but would need to be able to do 4k video and for web browsing/general media, with usb, LAN port and modern wifi card.

I’m guessing a very small PC running windows like a NUC might be less of a headache than a pi, but open to ideas if anyone has any?

The menu design on win 11 is seriously pissing me off, to remame a file you have to jump through into the old windows menu to get the rename option, it’s like they intoduce extra faff for no reason at all.

jamesoz

Slight thread hijack.
    Why is it all the small hdmi screens have the ports on the side? It’s really annoying.

I’d wanted a small screen to integrate into my car dash. Running an existing app the pi will show engine info, like oil temp, economy, boost etc. That all works fine but I don’t want to hack the dash around so am limited to something like a 3.5″ screen in the single din slot.
    I’ve tried a screen that plugs straight on the pi but it was a pain for reasons I can’t remember, possibly resolution.

molgrips
    Free Member

I have a Vaio P series with a dual core Atom 520, and it’s fanless. Runs W10 okay, you just can’t surf modern websites on it because all the Javascript is too much work. And it’s fanless, so it gets too hot and has to slow down. It speeds back up if you blow in the airvents 🙂 The latest Pi is probably much more powerful.

As for bloatware, my Mac updated itself recently and it was a 12Gb download. For an update! Barely anything has changed.

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

That’s the most interesting thing about this whole thread.!!  Where on earth did you find Pi’s in stock.? Let alone the 8GB ones which are like hens teeth.!!

scruffythefirst
    Free Member

Have you tried opening the window to let some air in and cool it down?

chevychase

Pfffft. I managed to get Windows Server 2019 running under the 4k of non-connected address space that’s reserved for input-output devices in the ROM of my stock Commodore 64.

I’m sure you’ll admit that is impressive for a computer with a 16-bit address bus.

zilog6128

Why is it all the small hdmi screens have the ports on the side? It’s really annoying.

because they’re hdmi? Where else is the port gonna go lol. You need something like this instead: https://thepihut.com/products/3-5-ips-dpi-capacitive-touchscreen-display-for-raspberry-pi

jamesoz

because they’re hdmi? Where else is the port gonna go lol

On the back? Like a TV or Monitor, or just in a bit so a right angled connection doesn’t overhang.
    I tried one of those plug on screens, used an old hard drive cable but from memory the resolution didn’t play well with the app.

Cougar

Why? It’s been designed to run on ARM chipsets and a Pi4 is a long long way from the original 256Mb Model B.

Because Windows has historically been awkward on the Pi, W11 has a higher spec requirement, and I wasn’t aware that the Pi had a TPM.

The menu design on win 11 is seriously pissing me off, to remame a file you have to jump through into the old windows menu to get the rename option, it’s like they intoduce extra faff for no reason at all.

This sounded odd so I just tried it.

1) The new right-click context menu has Rename as an icon at the bottom rather than a word in the menu. It’s easy to miss.
    2) The context menu has More Options which gives you the old context menu.
    3) Selecting a file and then clicking it again (so a slow double-click, if you like) goes directly to Rename.
    4) Keyboard shortcuts still work like they have for decades, so F2 will Rename.

What is weird is that Shift-F10 has been synonymous with right-click since like Windows 3.1, now right-click gives you the new context menu and Shift-F10 takes you to the old one.

zilog6128

but from memory the resolution didn’t play well with the app.

what res do you need? Waveshare alone do 80 different displays for the Pi! 😂
    Assuming it’s not possible just to adjust the res in the app? What’s the project?

https://www.waveshare.com/product/raspberry-pi/displays.htm

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Raspberry Pi running Windows 11’ is closed to new replies.