Raspberry Pi gurus

Home Forum Chat Forum Raspberry Pi gurus

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Raspberry Pi gurus
  • Premier Icon zilog6128
    Subscriber

Finally found an actual use for a Pi! Assuming what I want to do is feasible without too much hassle? Is this gonna work?

Basically want to be able to plug my iPhone in via USB with Personal Hotspot on and then have the Pi (running headless if possible) automatically create a Wireless Access Point (there’s no WiFi network). My original Pi doesn’t have WiFi but the Pi Zero W does so can I just buy one of those for a tenner?

Found this link which will hopefully take care of the internet connection (although it’s a few years old now) https://www.daveconroy.com/how-to-tether-your-raspberry-pi-with-your-iphone-5/

Premier Icon GrahamA
    Subscriber

I’m not an Iphone users so I may be misunderstanding you but if you are using your phone a hotsport why do you also need to use the Pi as an access point – can’t any Wifi device just access the iPhone hotspot?

Premier Icon colp
    Subscriber

You can also use a Wifi USB adapter instead of buying a Pi Zero.

I’ve done quite a few hotspots with a Pi, not used a phone like you describe but I don’t see why not

Premier Icon brassneck
    Subscriber

I’m not an Iphone users so I may be misunderstanding you but if you are using your phone a hotsport why do you also need to use the Pi as an access point – can’t any Wifi device just access the iPhone hotspot?

I am an iPhone and Pi user but – wot he said?

Plus isn’t the Pi Zero a little low rent for any kind of routing? USB Wifi on a real Pi would be better.

Premier Icon leffeboy
    Subscriber

With a user name like yours I would assume you would know better than most of us 🙂

Premier Icon zilog6128
    Subscriber

I’m not an Iphone users so I may be misunderstanding you but if you are using your phone a hotsport why do you also need to use the Pi as an access point

It’s for running Zwift in my gym where there’s no WiFi already. Basically Zwift have a companion app that you can run on your phone. If your phone is on the same WiFi network as the computer/tablet running the main Zwift app then you can use the companion app as a remote control with some cool features. HOWEVER if you use the Personal Hotspot function on the iPhone (which I have to as there’s no internet access otherwise) then – possibly due to a quirk of how Hotspot works, I don’t know – the iPhone itself isn’t on the wireless network, so I can’t use the companion app properly.

The workaround apparently is to use USB tethering to set up another PC as a wireless access point from the iPhone and then everything (INCLUDING the iPhone) connects wirelessly to this access point & it’s all happy. Even better if I can use a Pi!

Yes, it is confusing & annoying 🙂

With a user name like yours I would assume you would know better than most of us

lol, might just buy a Zero and give it a go, it’s only a tenner after all!

Plus isn’t the Pi Zero a little low rent for any kind of routing? USB Wifi on a real Pi would be better.

I don’t know much about Pis tbh, but if that’s the case then yes! I’ll look into it, ta. I do have one of the original ones knocking around that I could get a WiFi adapter for.

sharkbait

I’d go with the Zero W. I think it’s a powerful as an original Pi but if it doesn’t work then I’ll take it off your hands because you can’t have too many Pi 🙂

You could also run the Pi off a phone charging battery as well if needed.

Premier Icon zilog6128
    Subscriber

You could also run the Pi off a phone charging battery as well if needed.

Yeah that was my thinking! Power not really an issue but I can run the Pi, my phone & my iPad off a single USB power hub thing which would be pretty convenient!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.