Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)
  • Raptors being shot and poisoned in large numbers.
  • Oh – and once again I did not say all estates – I said the criminality runs right thru the “sport”

And I’ve already said that is tantamount to meaning one and the same thing.

And never mind, I found one myself, wasn’t that hard.

map

Based on that, yes, it does seem endemic amongst a majority.

You could have saved a lot of hassle if you had just painted a full picture from the start.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

Walk up shooting at least looks like it’s got more skill to it.

Yeah.

All those deer ‘forests’ without a tree in the way and massive overpopulation of any species you can shoot.

null

Premier Icon ratherbeintobago
    Subscriber

@matt_outandabout Compared with driven grouse shooting.

Not defending any of it.

He was talking about grouse, not deer. And prolific or not, it still takes skill to land a clean, humane kill, more so when your quarry can clearly see you.

Premier Icon dissonance
    Subscriber

And never mind, I found one myself, wasn’t that hard.

Aside from that isnt an overlay since, for the reasons given, its quite hard to give your required level of detail not leasts because the information on grouse moors is pretty slim.

You could have saved a lot of hassle if you had just painted a full picture from the start.

You mean aside from TJAgain giving you a link to the paper. So about as detailed a picture as you could possibly wish for but which you failed to read.

That map gives a good overview of grouse moors so evidently not that **** hard.

I’m done. I asked a **** simple question relating to supplying empirical **** evidence, nobody could provide anything but **** grief then a ten minute sift through dross at the end of my 8th 12 hour shift in 10 **** days produced a map that backed the original point up and your still not **** happy.

No I didn’t read the **** papers because unlike most on here I don’t have 24h a day to sit on my **** arse being obtuse. Excuse me for having a real **** job to do and excuse me for not just taking someone’s word on an emotive **** subject.

Happy **** Friday!

ninfan

indicating that harriers were ten times more likely to die (I and N) or disappear (SNM) in areas dominated by grouse moors

Where would you expect them to die or disappear from?

City centres?

Premier Icon tjagain
    Subscriber

Hi
    Ninfan

The evidence is clear. driven grouse moors are where the vast majority of raptor persecution occurs. 41 of131 tagged golden eagles were killed on grouse moors

Populations of raptors are much lower on grouse moors

The evidence is incontrovertible

Premier Icon tjagain
    Subscriber

Squirrelking

Sorry I took it that you were being deliberately obtuse rather than busy

Lost nuance in text again

ninfan

41 of131 tagged golden eagles were killed on grouse moors

Did you notice that these moors were also, coincidentally, surrounded by sheep farming?

What risk do Golden Eagles pose to grouse shooting?
    What risk do golden eagles pose to sheep farmers

Go figure!

Try whacking this through google translate: https://www.sunnhordland.no/debatt/kongeorna-tek-lam-i-fitjar/

My understanding is that about 50% of eagle mortality in Norway is out down to sheep farmers shooting them. I guess the Scandewegians can’t just conveniently point the finger at grouse moors.

Populations of raptors are much lower on grouse moors

Than where?

Hen harriers generally live and breed near grouse moors, it’s inevitable that if they are going to die or go missing, it’s going to happen from there. It’s like saying that French people are statistically more likely to die in France.

Premier Icon tjagain
    Subscriber

Ninfan read the links. Look at the prosecutions. It’s incontrovertible

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

Not defending any of it.

Neither myself.

I do find it interesting when you look at N America, Europe, Russia etc, the hunter still goes out to the wild place and exercises the hunt. In the UK we’ve removed most obstacles, massively over stocked and reduced the skill of the hunt to a final shot….

ninfan

Look at the prosecutions. It’s incontrovertible

Sounds like Tommy Robinson Muslim rape gang style logic there.

Premier Icon tjagain
    Subscriber

Hey Ninfan I thought you were a scientist! Now have a look at the data and critique it if you like. Draw valid conclusions from the data. don’t just make stuff up

Squirrelking

Sorry I took it that you were being deliberately obtuse rather than busy

Lost nuance in text again

It’s fine, it was a very long weekend.

Premier Icon Stainypants
    Subscriber

The moors around where I live are essentially an all you can eat buffet for Hen Harriers. Strange that in 25 years on living here and spending a lot time running, biking and walking up on the hills. I’ve only ever heard one once in all that time (it was foggy but their call is pretty distinctive). I grew up bird watching so I always have half an eye Looking out for birds.

Premier Icon hamishthecat
    Subscriber

Wow, been a while since Zulu Eleven made an appearance. Predictable on this thread though I guess.

Subscriber

But about this on Countryfile at the moment. Not painting gamekeepers in a good light…

jimw

There was a similarly emphatic report on Channel 4 news on Friday I think it was.
    This is a transcript of the essential part, Hagen being North Yorkshire Police

Alex Thomson: Inspector Hagen told us that of 30 birds he’s collected in the past six months, only one has died of natural causes and his investigations lead clearly to a single group of suspects.

Matt Hagen: All the shooting investigations that we’ve got going on at the moment are involving gamekeepers on grouse moors.

Alex Thomson: All of them?

Matt Hagen: All of them.

Alex Thomson: Every single one?

Matt Hagen: That’s right.

Subscriber

@jimw Aye, pretty much the same conversation had on Countryfile.

Not a good look for shooting moors. I wonder whether the current populist government might be more minded to do something about this.

Premier Icon CountZero
    Subscriber

Look at the prosecutions. It’s incontrovertible

Sounds like Tommy Robinson Muslim rape gang style logic there.

If you say so. Trump fan, aren’t you? It’s his level of deductive reasoning. #rollseyes

Premier Icon tjagain
    Subscriber
Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.