Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Rapha touring shorts
  • hilldodger
    Free Member

Yes I know, it’s Rapha, it’s overpriced poncemongery but there seems to be very few alternatives, and those I’ve found are in the same price bracket
    http://www.cafeducycliste.com/en/product/paulette-short-dustyblue
    http://www.vulpine.cc/Shop/Mens/New/ICAT1024/MENS-SUMMER-SHORTS/ITM1104

So anyone using these or other “non baggy” cycling shorts ?

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

Hi. I bought some a year ago. Buy them. Wear them with bibshorts and you wouldn’t know you had another layer on. Fit really well and I have pretty chunky thighs. Also have a good bit of stretch to the fabric. Front pocket is only really any good for the door key and/or a bit of cash. The rear is good enough for a phone and a few essentials. Branding is discreet if that bothers you.

One of my best bike related purchases.

Klunk
    Free Member

endura singletracks make a good touring short, nice fit, vented and very hard wearing.

hilldodger
    Free Member

sp, thanks – sounds like a good product, not worried about branding 🙂
    klunk, yes I have singletracks, OK but slightly chunky for road riding

tonyd

I got some Adidas ones in the sale at Halfords, think they were £30 or thereabouts. Fit well, lightweight, very nice too. I bought them to go over bibs for commuting as I’m a bit too chubby for full on lycra and was upsetting the receptionists.

I expect the Rapha ones are nice, if my budget went that far I probably would have tried them.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ve been using the Rapha ones for years of commuting on the bike. They’re very good, slim fit, don’t notice I’m wearing them over bibs and they pocket on the back is great for an iPhone.

They do last very well too, the stitching round the crotch on mine burst but I’ve had them for years and wear them for at least 120 miles every week. Stitched them up and they’re fine.

toons
    Free Member

What Gary said

I use them and they’re v comfy.

Look on ebay there’s loads.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I love em, not used them for riding yet though 😆

maccruiskeen

The Surface Liquistetch shorts are a similar kind of thing – very light and not very baggy baggies, worn over lycra you wouldn’t know they were there really except that you’ve got a working set of pockets when mooching about off the bike. Its a shame they stopped doing the trousers because they worked really well too.

I’m not sure if its still the case but there was at least one batch of shorts that were labelled incorrectly size wise and were a size bigger than they should have been (that or there was an error with the sizing info on the website), I don’t know if that error persists so you might need to allow time to return a pair if you’re ordering.

MoreCashThanDash

Love my Surface shorts. Disappointed about the sizing problem, was convinced I’d lost weight…..

rendo
    Free Member

I have rapha touring shorts and like them a lot, very office friendly.

but i am looking at swrve for a similar short, i use their long trouser in the winter and they are a good fit and comfortable, so expect shorts to be similar. probably not much cheaper than rapha.

is rapha that overpriced compared to others, it is very good quality kit.

grahamg
    Free Member

shorts

Got the older WWR shorts – utterly bombproof, used and abused almost daily on a three month tour and still looked good after. Ignore WWR bit of the description though, utter bollox as it’s gone after one wash. Also, I don’t think they’re as thin/lightweight as many options out there so worth considering if wearing full lycra underneath.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Surface shorts were my first thought but they seem to be discontinued and out of stock everywhere in my size 🙁

Oh swrve stuff looks good, thanks for the link 🙂

will be up near Rapha store at w/e, will pop in and try the fit

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Save yourself a packet…. (hope they have your size)

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/151796/products/union-34-elements-water-resistant-mens-shorts—patriot-blue.aspx

(the blue is a darker in real life, if you are bothered but such things)

Got the Rapha one as well, which are a slimmer fit on the legs but a little longer in leg length.

Wear both with a Decathlon MTB “inner” padded short.

The Union shorts can be happily worn down the street… in fact my wife commented on how smart there are ….. Only had em a month or two so can’t comment on how long they will last…. but just buy 3 pairs !!

hilldodger
    Free Member

…is rapha that overpriced compared to others, it is very good quality kit.

No I don’t think so either, but it does seem to be “the stw approved” viewpoint”

maccruiskeen

With Rapha you have two diminishing returns rather than just the one

london_lady
    Free Member

it’s overpriced poncemongery

….for goodness sake do not look at the new Giro range of cycle clothing then!

hilldodger
    Free Member

Ro5ey – Member

Save yourself a packet…. (hope they have your size)

Thanks 🙂
    how do they size up? I’m usually borderline 32/34 depending on fit

hilldodger
    Free Member

london_lady – Member

….for goodness sake do not look at the new Giro range of cycle clothing then!

Too late, already eyeing up their lace up ‘urban cycle’ shoes 😕

bikebouy
    Free Member

Giro Empires?

OOOhhhh, I have a pair, they’re very good 😀

Gary_M
    Free Member

One of the reasons I really like the rapha shorts is the back pocket. It sits high up just under the waistband so its not on your butt cheeks like the other shorts I’ve looked at. Its more in the small of your back so you don’t really notice a phone in there and its not going to get knocked on the saddle for example.

I can’t find another pair of slim fit cycle specific shorts that have a pocket in that place.

crazy-legs

I find the Rapha Touring Shorts a fraction short in the leg for me but, as my forum nickname suggests, I do have abnormally long legs so it’s probably me that’s freakish rather than the shorts.

Leg length discrepancy aside, they’re very good; extremely lightweight, comfy and reasonably water-repellent.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Hill d … I’m a 32 most of the time and l’ve made them tighter using the little tab/tabs on the back…. guess i bought the 34s …will check this eve.

Unions are heavier than the Rapha with deep deep front pockets…. have done my 20 mile commute with my phone in there no worries

Gary_M
    Free Member

A phone in your front pocket for 20 miles – was that not incredibly annoying?

If you want something waterproof I also have Gore Alp-X Paclite shorts. Similar in shape to the rapha shorts with a rear pocket in the same place – although I find it too deep so I put a row of stitching across it.

Again very hard wearing, I’m only on my 2nd pair in 7 years of commuting so they’ve also done lots of miles.

ChrisS
    Free Member

Endura MTR – thats what I use and I *think* ticks all of your boxes?

hilldodger
    Free Member

bikebouy – Member
    Giro Empires?

No, the republics

dragon
    Free Member

These are good value

Wiggle Navo short

Maybe not quite as smart as some of the other more expensive offerings, but perfectly good for causal shorts.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Oh…. the unions l’ve got are a 32 and are quite generous even with the tab at the back done up.

Seems like you may have luck out…. sorry

hilldodger
    Free Member

Thanks for checking Ro5ey 🙂

Blackhound

Had some Rapha touring shorts since 2009 or 2010. Still wearing well, got them in a sale but cost per wear is fine. Like them a lot.

scandalous
    Free Member

Love mine. Also have eyes on those shoes! Well, if the camo ones are ‘re released!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Rapha touring shorts’ is closed to new replies.