Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Rapha / Gore Tex jacket half price any good?
  • oldfart

Blue one is £137 classed as weather resistant not waterproof?

johnnystorm

I’ve got one as couldn’t resist at the price. I’ve only worn it on one ride but that was where the in the last hour the rain got progressively worse.

It was OK to wear even when it wasn’t raining as it breathes well and the zip is smooth enough to be usable one handed.

While it might not be “waterproof” by Gore Tex standards, I’ve certainly had “waterproof” jackets that haven’t felt as dry after a hour’s rain! 🤣

titusrider
    Free Member

Yeah it’s not waterproof to gore standards but it’s damn good as a single jacket to cover a lot of bases. Been out in mine in some real filth and it has stayed dry. See the mbr group test win review for a bit more detail!

Mtb review

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    BadlyWiredDog

Blue one is £137 classed as weather resistant not waterproof?

Technically its not ‘waterproof’ because even though the fabric, basically Gore Windstopper is functionally waterproof, Gore doesn’t class Windstopper as such. Two reasons: one is that Windstopper garments are rarely taped – I don’t know if this is the case with the Rapha jacket, can’t tell from pics on the site – and they will eventually leak from the seams. You can get round this a bit by using as few seams as possible and locating them so they’re less exposed, eg: on the inside of the sleeves, not on the top of the shoulders etc.

The second reason is a little more arcane, and is that Windstopper, while it uses the same EPTFE membrane as waterproof Gore-Tex, doesn’t have a PU element to protect it from contamination. This means it’s more breathable, but early Gore-Tex garments using similar fabrics, were vulnerable to a process called reverse osmosis, where water could be pulled inwards through the fabric due to contamination from sweat or sun cream, bodily oils etc. I don’t know for certain, but I suspect in the longer term, this will still happen with Windstopper, because it is very similar to first generation Gore-Tex from the 1970s.

My guess is that Rapha chose this fabric because they reckon – correctly – that Gore’s waterproof fabrics simply won’t be breathable enough for mountain bike use with its high peak efforts, but still wanted lots of weather protection. Haven’t used one, but I suspect it’d be pretty good.

Sorry for the geekery…

snooze
    Free Member

This may be of interest:-

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Gore-Wear/Spirit-Jacket/T2JR?s=1

As far as my unexpert eye can tell it’s the same Gore fabric as the Rapha jacket, cheaper but no hood. I bought one and have had a couple of rides in it, including a shower and so far been very impressed. Very breathable, but still windproof (how do they do that?). Not particularly thick, but the cut allows for laying underneath and kept the water out during the shower. No taped seams so I guess it will leak after a time.

BadlyWiredDog

This may be of interest:-

Road jacket, same membrane, different fabric. Face is polyester rather than nylon, so almost certainly less durable, but looks a good deal for a road top.

jam-bo

Infinium is great but I wouldn’t class it as better than showerproof.

snooze
    Free Member

Not MTB specific, but the cut is more all round and it isn’t particularly roadie/fitted. I’ve worn it with a base and mid-layer underneath and there was plenty of room

I’m using it for mountain biking so it will be interesting to see how it holds up to brambles, gorse and the inevitable falls etc etc, but at that price you can’t go to far wrong….

johnnystorm

Out in the rain again in mine. The seams are taped with something…

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

What’s the sizing like for those that have bought a Rapha one?

Merak

@ the op. In a word, no. It’s water resistant for £137…

Kuco

£137 is the sale price, £275 if the full price.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Might just order a small and medium

Sizing wise what people thinking?

johnnystorm

@oscillatewildly

I’m 5′ 11″, 42″ chest and the large is a good fit. Not too baggy, can fit some insulation underneath and the sleeves are a good length.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Thanks @johnnystorm

I’m a 37 chest 6ft and about 11.5 stone really not sure which to get so might try both

johnnystorm

It’s free post and returns over £100 so if your visa has the space it makes sense to try a couple.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Yep worth a shot to do that, how long was free delivery?

Says 7-10 days which is a bit mad in the modern world

footflaps

Yep worth a shot to do that, how long was free delivery?

Yep, Rapha delivery is a bit old school, normally several days before it ships, then RM next day.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

@footflaps great might well just try it out then thank you

joepud
    Free Member

I have one, also picked it up in the sale. Not used it on the bike yet (just not been cold enough.) but walking to the shops and town it does the job. full price seems far to much for a jacket that isn’t fully waterproof but for 130quid its worth a go.

tall_martin

I was out for two days in the pouring rain last weekend in a gore gore infinium jacket.

It let a bit of water in after an hour in direct driving rain.

It was distinctly more breathable than the paclite gore jacket it has replaced

nickc

Plus they use Evri.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

link?

nothing seems to be that price

Rubber_Buccaneer

link?

nothing seems to be that price

Here, blue or green are £137 other colours more

https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/mens-trail-gore-tex-infinium-jacket/product/SHE01XXCFPMED

dhague

Thanks to the OP for the heads-up – made a dent in the credit card this evening, but Rapha kit at sale prices does tend to be good VFM.

oldfart

I’ve deliberated over it , convinced myself it’s only a bargain if I need it and I don’t 🤔

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

well ive taken a punt – i need a new jacket and given its gore-tex im expecting decent things from it

ive never found a jacket as good as my gore tex of years ago, nice and lightweight, kept the wind off completely and relatively waterproof when needed – hoping this ones just as good at half price cant really grumble theres not much else out there around this price that i know will be as well made and have gore tex

ordered both sizes so will report back to help anyone else with sizing

chakaping
    Free Member

This looks really good, I’d happily accept slightly less waterproofness for a jacket being more breathable.

Fortunately I don’t need one, as I already have a Rapha City waterproof jacket (from a previous sale obvs) which works great for wet MTB rides and is quite breathable for a full waterproof.

Sorry for the geekery…

Not at all, I always appreciate your geeky outdoor textile-related contributions.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

yeah this is my thinking – im lucky i can work around the weather generally and dont have to ride on set days even at the weekend (most times) so if its forecast awful all day ill likely wait it out, i dont mind getting caught out in heavy rain and most non full waterproof jackets have sufficed – especially my old gore – as you say the breathability is more important to me, bonus of it sounding like its incredibly showerproof on top of that – hopefully its a good fit being specifically designed for MTB

wzzzz
    Free Member

I have an Infinium jacket made by Gore.

It’s a great “in between jacket” for when it’s raining a bit / going to rain but not constant.

A good spring/autumn shell where you can be warm enough to shake of a bit of damp.

I can wear it longer than my “waterproof” as its more breathable.

I also still carry my waterproof in winter in case of downpour.

hirise

Hi – do you mind me asking if there is a draw cord around the waist of the jacket? Hard to tells from Rapha’s site. Cheers.

johnnystorm

@hirise there’s a drawcord around the bottom of the jacket of that’s what you mean…

cannondalem500

Sale ends today and there is still quite a lot of availability on the jacket. The US Rapha site has a bigger percentage discount on the jacket and I’ve not looked at Rapha sales before. What are the chances of it being available at a lower price on sportpursuit or on the Rapha site in a few weeks time?

johnnystorm

The prices on sport pursuit never seem that good and I don’t know if they have freepost/returns like Rapha. Even when the sale finishes Rapha often have an “archive sale” tab for reduced stuff.

razorrazoo

On the Rapha sale I’ve picked up ss and ls jerseys, shorts and socks.  I’m an Rapha Core fan for ‘reasonably’ priced road kit and the MTB stuff is just as good imho. All fit true to size, good quality with repair patches and depending on size / colour there are some good bargains.

Very tempted by the rain jacket but none left in large and I do tend to be a fair weather rider.

Rapha stuff on SP always tends to bias on the small sizes.

razorrazoo

Change of plan, a few large have reappeared on the site so I’ve pressed the button.

iainc

I have a large jacket on the way, I like the look and feel of rapha kit and the quality is decent. My road kit is now largely rapha and I’ve never paid full price for anything. In the sales it seems ok vfm.

allyharp

My size Medium arrived on Saturday and I’m torn on whether to keep it or not.

It looks nice, and feels nice. The sleeves feel short at first but actually they’re probably spot on, and it’s the unfamiliarity of elastic cuffs that’s catching me out. The hood is massive, though clearly marketed as an over-the-helmet job which has its upsides.

The shoulders and waist are perfect for me too, but there’s an annoying “ruffle” in the zip at the bottom of the sternum that just sticks out too far. Almost like the fabric is too wide, or too long, but I can’t even work out which.

My (ripped) Madison Flux is a better fit for me personally, and I don’t think I’ll be retiring it soon.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.