Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 131 total)
  • Rapha article in guardian…..
  • PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Aldi does a cycling jersey for £15 to £20

I would be asking questions of how it’s made, where it’s made and who makes it. But then I’d also be asking that of Rapha.

mickyfinn
    Free Member

Buy what you like, wear what you like and ride your bike, that’s all that matters. It’s amazing that we have a thread being snobby about a supposedly snobby bike clothing brand.

I prefer Retro style roadie jersey’s to either Gnar Core baggy or Fluro poly so I buy from the company that makes the best ones for the money (That’s Torm in this instance. If Torm didn’t make them I’d probably stump up the extra to buy Rapha) I’ve bib shorts from Castelli and DHB both are good on the long rides Castelli are more comfortable but there’s not much in it and they both look fine!

Oh and Tea is wayyyyy better than bloody Coffee!

legend
    Free Member

mickyfinn – Member

Buy what you like, wear what you like and ride your bike, that’s all that matters. It’s amazing that we have a thread being snobby about a supposedly snobby bike clothing brand.

I prefer Retro style roadie jersey’s to either Gnar Core baggy or Fluro poly

Says the guy looking down on “gnar core” and “fluro”

mickyfinn
    Free Member

Says the guy looking down on “gnar core” and “fluro”

Where did I look down on it? I used the term prefer which is saying I’m stating my personal preferences. If you have issues with my terms I’m using the ones frequently used on here for reference.

Ladders
    Free Member

What I want to know is where all these coffee shops were 10+ years ago that Rapha thinks roadies used to ride too back in the day?

The uk road scene use to be Cafe. Cup of Tea. Beans on Toast. But most roadies didn’t do cafe stops back then! #fakeheritage

molgrips
    Free Member

Assos is my benchmark for quality cycling kit. And I’ve only bought two items of it – shorts in 2005 – I still wear them all the time.

Is Assos more expensive than Rapha?

kelvin

The Manchester “club house” is a great cafe, especially when a race is on TV.

Rapha try very hard (too hard for some) to be a brand that is more than just a label on clothing. Good luck to ’em.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Anyone want to do some photoshopping 😉
    How about some Aldi Man with his polystyrene cup of weak tea and one of those cheap as reclaimed meat bacon & sausage sandwich from a greasy spoon and an undeniable air of superiority

mcj78
    Free Member

How about a retro style (similar to a Rapha one from a few years back actually…) jersey sponsored by everyone’s favourite high street purveyor of lukewarm, salty meat based snacks? 8)

scotroutes

molgrips – Member
    Assos is my benchmark for quality cycling kit. And I’ve only bought two items of it – shorts in 2005 – I still wear them all the time.

Is Assos more expensive than Rapha?You know, that’s a really good point. I’ve no idea which is the more expensive. The difference is that I don’t think folk see an Assos ad and think “tossers”. That suggests it’s the marketing and branding rather than the cost that’s the issue.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The difference is that I don’t think folk see an Assos ad and think “tossers”. That suggests it’s the marketing and branding rather than the cost that’s the issue.

No I think it’s you that seems to have the issue. Is everyone you see wearing Rapha a tosser in your opinion?

molgrips
    Free Member

That’s why I’ll continue to (not) buy Assos when I want/can afford expensive kit, and not feel the need to switch to Rapha.

RustySpanner

No I think it’s you that seems to have the issue. Is everyone you see wearing Rapha a tosser in your opinion?

Of course not.
    But the marketing is designed to appeal to people who seem obsessed with kit and image.
    Don’t act surprised when that gets a negative response

I bet John Inverdale wears Rapha, although I see Partridge as more of a full Team Sky kind of chap.

convert

Assos is a good brand to bring up. Similarly priced give or take and 15 years ago bought by similarly wealthy cyclists. I suppose the only difference poor cyclists would save up for the odd piece like the bibs to save their arse. Performances wise it is/was the gold standard and it looked good to roadies and their roadie mates. But to the rest of the world it made you look like a tit. Once you peal away the Rapha hate-on-site merchants I would contend that if you put a gun to the head of your average non cycling bod and said their had to dress up like a mamil I’d put my house on them going for Rapha over Assos every time. It’s also pretty obvious that a lot of the mid range cycling stuff that aesthetically previously tried to ape Assos’s look now do the same with Rapha. Where every other cyclist was previously dressed is in super tight and quite synthetic looking marketing banners or euro pop video pro cycling wannabes it’s all a bit more relaxed cut and muted now.

My feeling is that is it so rials some cyclists partly because of the marketing and the fake exclusivity but also because it’s a reminder that cycling has become more popular, a bit more middle class, a bit ‘softer’. Dare I say it a bit more accessible and desirable looking for non cyclists.

onandon
    Free Member

The difference is that I don’t think folk see an Assos ad and think “tossers”

Funny. It depends where you live. Here in Switzerland the people who are head to toe in assos are usually the ones who are seen as the ones with all the gear and no idea.

Pretty much the same as the UK crowd see Rapha. Maybe people don’t like those who want to buy nice kit for themselves – regardless of Brand or location.

molgrips
    Free Member

Also wool is a crap material for jerseys.

Here in Switzerland the people who are head to toe in assos are usually the ones who are seen as the ones with all the gear and no idea.

Whatever you wear, don’t wear the same brand all over. Absolute faux-pas that 🙂

mancunianmtb
    Free Member

Rapha and the Guardian in the same sentence. Nauseating.

antigee

Dare I say it a bit more accessible and desirable looking for non cyclists. for those who previously would have taken up golf

onandon
    Free Member

Molgrips. I totally agree with you on both counts 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

for those who previously would have taken up golf

HOUSE!!!

convert

Dare I say it a bit more accessible and desirable looking for non cyclists. for those who previously would have taken up golf

Your point is caller? You are probably right but does that mean that the Rapha ire is a misplaced flounce by the cycling old guard (or those that would have been anyway if they were cycling before the mass uptake) at the golfists have parked on our lawns?

Got to say though – have you seen golfists waving their sticks? Sartorially closer to the Assos aesthetic in their natural habitat.

antigee

mikewsmith – Member
    for those who previously would have taken up golf

HOUSE!!!

glad to be of service 😀

Klunk
    Free Member

Interesting that rapha do plain “unbranded” jerseys now, I’m going to fix some white tape to the sleeve of my plain blue aldi merino jersey to return the complement 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

There’s only one thing worse than being talked about, eh?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

sad isn’t it how people seem to want to hate that people might actually want to take up cycling without. Given the fact we have an obesity problem and an increasingly more sedentary lifestyle to get so upset that people are riding bikes and people like Rapha have found a way to motivate people and get them riding seems to upset people even more. I pity the poor souls who can’t ride without hating, maybe they need to ride a bit more…
    Rocking the Rapha on the Sunshine Coast training for a big charity ride
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/NMKVrw]It of warmth before heading back south[/url] by Mike Smith, on Flickr

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member
    RustySpanner

Mike, that’s a great hat fella.
    😀

I love the fact that cycling is more accessible and popular.
    Equally delighted that the focus on bikes and kit has moved away from race rep wannabees towards the more useful and practical.

But as good as the clothing may be, the marketing just puts me off.

Most of the people I’ve met wear Rapha because they put the miles in and want the best.
    No issue with that.

But the marketing is designed to appeal to people I’d usually cross the road to avoid.

Sorry.
    🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m holding back on the Strava Jersey pics in case some of STW havn’t had time for their meds yet

greentricky
    Free Member

I never get why Rapha get the hate they do compared to Castelli or Assos which you never hear people slagging in the same way

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Especially if you put “assos bibs” in a google image search, up there with Maxxis and 661 from a while back

legend
    Free Member

Totes sexist

kerley
    Free Member

The Rapha stuff I have is well made, fits well, washed well, lasts a long time and looks good.
    Other stuff I have (that happens to be cheaper) does most of that but never looks as good.

Do I care what I look like when cycling (or doing anything else) – yes
    Is it worth paying more to look better – yes
    Does it all really matter – no

I beg to differ.

onandon
    Free Member

This should send a few into meltdown 🙂

Click.

MrSparkle

Wind them up, Shirley?

molgrips
    Free Member

I beg to differ.

Goes baggy when wet, doesn’t wear well, costs more. Not seeing the advantages.

eshershore
    Free Member

I’ve been given a few pieces of Rapha (bibs, winter jacket, knee warmers, gloves) over the past year as gifts when its been on sale, and its actually very good. I split the stitching on my recently new Merino leg warmers, admitted it was my fault (clumsy hands) they gave me new ones free.

I’ve worked in shops where we sold a lot of rapha, but not to “cake stop” customers but proper riders putting in lots of winter miles and long distance commuting all year round

I don’t ride much with others, so don’t care what others do or wear, as long as its not causing negativity in cycling to detriment of others. hating on brands is pointless.

crazy-legs

Goes baggy when wet, doesn’t wear well, costs more. Not seeing the advantages.

Pure wool does but if you mix merino with the right amount of polyester and lycra, it becomes very very good indeed.

I’ve got several wool blend Rapha jerseys and although the sizing can be a bit hit and miss, the brevet jersey is one of my favourite tops. And that’s had a LOT of use and it still looks like new.

Daffy

My older 2012/13/14 Rapha gear is of MUCH better quality than the newer stuff that I ordered and sent back last year. Better fit, better material, nicer design touches.

I like Rapha gear, but am not a fanboi; I’ll pay the price if I think the quality and total package are worth it – last time it wasn’t. My olderst jersey and bibs are coming up on 6 years commuting abuse…maybe 30-40k km.

The general tone of the article is one of disdain from the author, picking up on as many negatives and detractions as it’s possible to get from an interview.

Goes baggy when wet, doesn’t wear well

Not in my experience, but perhaps true in the 1950s.

Also add – comfortable to wear, warm when wet, doesn’t need a base layer, doesn’t stink after 5 minutes.

Polyester washes easier and the separate base layer supposedly offers some crash protection, but I much prefer wool or a wool mix. (Not necessarily Rapha).

I even use merino bibs (again not Rapha) – now they ARE expensive (and hard to get hold of).

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 131 total)

The topic ‘Rapha article in guardian…..’ is closed to new replies.