Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 131 total)
  • Rapha article in guardian…..
  • crazy-legs

AFAIK the free repair service is only for kit that was damaged in a crash or an accident – my stuff just fell apart……..

I’ve got one of the early (2006 I think) Rapha Softshell jackets which is superb. However the thumbloops came unstitched after a while so I sent it back along with my card details.

It was returned to me a week later completely restitched and free of charge.

Never actually had to use the repair service outside of that. I did have the zip come off a pair of overshoes (they don’t repair zips…) but the overshoes still work albeit it’s very fiddly now.

nickc

Mavic seem better priced, Endura works just fine too.

so, just cheaper then? But then that’s true of most gear. 😆

Never seen a brand make people froth as much as Rapha.

bikebouy
    Free Member

H8terzgonnah8.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mrlebowski
    Free Member

o, just cheaper then?

Yes & does the job just as well.

Why line someone else’s pocket when there’s mine to take care of?

tomhoward

Yes & does the job just as well

Spam fills you up just as well as fillet steak.

nickc

Yes & does the job just as well.

well, depends… Given the amount of threads on here slagging off Endura’s sizing (for instance) they seem to have some work to do (especially their shorts). but you know, whatever. No is forcing anyone to buy Rapha stuff are they?

vondally
    Free Member

Brands

Scott… especially in the start cycles discount
    Rivelo…
    Mavic
    Ground effect
    Troy Lee….in more muted shades
    Endura

Kuco

Rapha top paired with dhb shorts.

Thats me 😆 better when I wear them with my baggy endura shorts though.

As for Mavic I own some of their gear. I like their helmets and shoes but the mountain bike shorts suck. A couple of muddy rides and they look like the arse is going to fall out of them.

montgomery
    Free Member

I was unaware of Rapha until somebody wearing it head-to-toe sat in a train carriage opposite me, and proceeded to drop his orange peel and banana skins all over the floor until I pointed out there was a bin behind him. Tw@+

Sanny
    Free Member

Like most brands, they make some nice stuff and some stuff that is a bit crap (except for Endura who just make crap in my experience). Wind jacket – very expensive but long lasting with a really nice cut and fit. Their original sport wool tops were sized for blokes with wee shoulders and fat bellys while the inner face fabric separated from the garment after a handful of washes. Their original softshell had all the water resistance of a soggy tea bag.

Personally, I prefer the likes of the traditional brands such as Castelli. Each to their own though. 😀

onandon
    Free Member

All brands will have their good and bad gear. Keep the good, send the crap back and keep peddling.
    The only true cycling knobs are the pro team ankers

grum
    Free Member

Bit of a shame how incredibly uncool he looks in his picture extolling the virtues of ‘trendy’ super-expensive cycling clothing.

plus-one

I was a staunch rapha hater for years !! Family member got me pair of rapha arm warmers 8 years ago they are worn to death and only now showing signs of wear.

Have two winter jerseys and they are my most worn top on colder days and washed lots and look good as new.

Had a pair of pro shorts over year old I remember pulling at a thread on leg band(after washing it was hanging off) sent back and received brand new pair no quibbles.

Had winter tights for few months but always felt they were not as snug as I’d like. Again sent back and swapped for smaller size no problem.

Only bought my kit in sale and I’ve ridden around 20 years now and I’ve tried pretty much every make of kit on the market in that time ..

The kit I have works very well and I ride all year round

Have few casual bits of rapha kit and it’s refreshing in the sea of “superdry” clones 😉

RustySpanner

“The amount of people on bikes was amazing because it was a sunny morning but actually nine out of 10 looked absolutely appalling,” he says. “Not only did they look terrible but the stuff they were wearing …”.

“Aldi does a cycling jersey for £15 to £20 but we won’t do that because that isn’t really a cycling jersey – it’s a piece of polyester”.

After actually reading the article, I’ve changed my mind.
    He can throb off.
    🙂

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Given the amount of threads on here slagging off Endura’s sizing (for instance) they seem to have some work to do (especially their shorts). but you know, whatever.

Which is odd as I’ve never experienced any of that…. 😕

legend
    Free Member

Scott… especially in the start cycles discount

Bought some Scott tights from there, good for the £30 paid, shit for the £95 rrp. Rapha Core bibs i have on the other hand still look and feel brand new after a fair amount of use*

*riding in fair weather and sitting in coffee shops

SaxonRider

davidtaylforth, that quote you posted was very good. But there are a few things to be said in response.

Henrie Westlake is 42 and has been road cycling all his adult life, but would never contemplate wearing Rapha’s clothing. His choice is not down to the cost, nor the quality. “It has become the uniform of a certain sector of ‘new’ cyclists,” he contends, “and by that I refer to the stereotypical cliché of ‘all the gear, no idea’.

This is true, but then again, it has always been true. I remember riding in a provincial cycling championship back in Canada in my teenage years, and showing up to ride in a simple pair of black lycra shorts and a cotton nike shirt. I didn’t even really know that proper kit was available. But there were kids at the race fully kitted out in 7-11 Team gear, and they didn’t do any better than me in the race.

“I’ve frequently heard cyclists say that you rarely see a good amateur cyclist in Rapha.”

I don’t think this is entirely fair. I hate the fact that here in the UK, people tend to get categorised by what they wear/ride/drive and a whole host of other things. The man may have a point, but I figure, if your concentrating on getting better, yourself, then how do you have time to notice what others are wearing?

Live and let live (x1000000000). The fadders will weed themselves out.

In his opinion, “the best way to look good on a bike is to drop everyone on a climb.”

And this I agree with 100%. The thing is, as I said above, if we all actually lived by this, then we wouldn’t be at all bothered if others wore Rapha or anything else!

SaxonRider

Maybe it’s worth adding that I get most of my tights and shorts from ebay (Tenn stuff has been brilliant!), while I tend to get my jerseys from sales, whatever the brand. Consequently, I have stuff from Stolen Goat, Northwave, some brand I found on Sport Pursuit, and… Rapha.

But man, do I ride.

So I guess that makes me another one of those Rapha + dhb offenders.

mooman
    Free Member

Rapha? it could be worse. They could still be wearing their replica Team Sky kit.

anagallis_arvensis

I dont like Rapha because of the brand styling and what you are buying into. Its just not me I see it as just for knobbers riding 4k aero bikes round Richmond park.

vondally
    Free Member

AA, after they have watched England at Twickers…???… 8)

anagallis_arvensis

You’ve got it…
    Bloody rugby I won second prize in a Telegraph ( I know!!) competition to win a trip for two to the Lions first test last week…lwts just say second prize wasnt as good as first!!

vondally
    Free Member

Ahhhh so a Rapha sky kit?

homer

It’s clothes. Wear it, don’t wear it…each to To their own. But if you judge someone for what they wear, or the bike they ride, then it’s you that’s the knobber , not them.

scotroutes

True – and some folk don’t want to wear kit sold by such knobbers.

butcher

It’s clothes. Wear it, don’t wear it…each to To their own. But if you judge someone for what they wear, or the bike they ride, then it’s you that’s the knobber , not them.

I’m genuinely not sure if you’re referring to people on this forum, or Rapha themselves?

Personally, I completely agree. I have nothing against Rapha. Some of their stuff does look pretty good. It’s obvious they put a lot of thought into it. But when they start calling people out for what they wear, yes, they sound like complete nobbers.

crazy-legs

Its just not me I see it as just for knobbers riding 4k aero bikes round Richmond park.

Maybe – just maybe – that “knobber” only has the one bike or perhaps it’s a nice day so he/she will use their best bike.
    Perhaps they’re cycling slowly because it’s a recovery day after their epic race the previous week or they’re on a taper before their triathlon next week or maybe they’re recovering from illness/injury. Or they’re on a warm down lap after a 100 mile ride. Possibly they are actually a beginner but they’d appreciate some support and encouragement rather than a sneering reference to “Rule 5” or some other such shit.

I long ago gave up caring what people ride or wear.

They’re on a bike. They’ve put money into the cycling industry. It may mean that next time they’re driving their Audi they give the next cyclist just a touch more room because they understand it.

I don’t doubt for a second that there are some knobbers on bikes but then there are knobbers in cars, in the supermarket, in the pub and in the park so at least they’re relatively benign in the knobber scale of things. And what they are wearing is often irrelevant to the level of knobbishness.

mr_stru

This ^^ +1

mikewsmith
    Free Member

bikebouy – Member
    H8terzgonnah8

And the more they hate the more it devalues the Aldi brand 😉 perhaps the only reason you see the slow Rapha riders is that the others dropped you, perhaps they are drinking coffee as they already did their ride faster than you 😉
    In reality they probably don’t want you buying their kit. Marketing is working just fine and for me I really like the jerseys I have.

anagallis_arvensis

Marketing is working just fine

Yes indeed and good luck to them. But any brand that builds such a loyal following, which such an emphasis on “lifestyle” for want of a better word is likely to produce a polarised reaction.

olly2097
    Free Member

I’m glad I ride mountain bikes 99% of the time.

I’d feel a bit shameful going past a “clubhouse” on my mass produced defy, wearing my altura bib shorts and aldi top as those hanging around outside pour scorn on me.

Endura; I agree the sizing is off. Two pairs of shorts from different years: Both L, one fits, one doesn’t.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’d feel a bit shameful going past a “clubhouse” on my mass produced defy, wearing my altura bib shorts and aldi top as those hanging around outside pour scorn on me.

They are probably enjoying their coffee too much to bother with pouring scorn, if it helps you could probably stop and ask them too if it makes you feel better 😉

legend
    Free Member

olly2097 – Member
    I’m glad I ride mountain bikes 99% of the time.

Just swap “Rapha” for “Enve” or “Santa Cruz” you want included in the thread

MoreCashThanDash

Crazy legs for President!

Agree Endura sizing can be random. Mind you, when Rapha started selling in America their sizing changed, and I went from XL to L.

Which was nice.

mt
    Free Member

Well it proves to me that a good portion of society like to belong to something and this is often exploited by many organizations (the list is endless).
    Rapha are no different. Having said that, the group head to foot in Rapha who thought I was in their way in the Etape de Caledonia a number of years ago could have done with some lessons in good road manners and hill climbing skills. They knew how to wheel suck though, which was nice.

johnners
    Free Member

They knew how to wheel suck though, which was nice

Pro skills.

Northwind

“Aldi does a cycling jersey for £15 to £20 but we won’t do that because that isn’t really a cycling jersey – it’s a piece of polyester”.

My Aldi jersey’s my most worn bit of riding kit after my indestructible Altura shorts- done most of the XC races I’ve done, at least half of the commuting, it is awesome. But you can’t buy that exact model any more which is annoying, if Rapha made one just the same I’d be tempted to buy it even at their prices but tbh they don’t make anything I like as much.

Metasequoia

Well I ride my mtb in Rapha…:)

mrchrispy

DHB and Howies short for a long time now but recently bought some Rapha bibs in the sales are they are very nice. However, been a fan of their jerseys for years (after getting some in the sales) but I do find myself going for the subtle stuff, nearly passed on a gilet as it had Rapha on the tail.

Basically haters gonna hate.

tomhoward

Well I ride my mtb in Rapha…:)

Same. It’s a Santa Cruz, and has Enve wheels. I’m powered by a frothing wave of hatred.

Unless I ride the ebike. Then it’s a motor assisted wave.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 131 total)

The topic ‘Rapha article in guardian…..’ is closed to new replies.