Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 131 total)
  • Rapha article in guardian…..
  • vondally
    Free Member

Sorry if this has been done but….

Rapha article in guardian

Mottram acknowledges the brand is out of reach of some pockets and last year it launched a range of more affordable gear that included jerseys for under £100. “We have carved out a market at the top,” he says. “The future is to keep that quality but to reach more people. Aldi does a cycling jersey for £15 to £20 but we won’t do that because that isn’t really a cycling jersey – it’s a piece of polyester. But we do need to make our pricing more accessible.”

Dislike the brand more now….and to be honest not impressed with the items I have bought

eddie11
    Free Member

Erm. That business strategy wasn’t a secret…

I think Rapha have made a lot out of cycling but also put a lot back in. They have supported domestic racing in uk and us from really early on and their events like supercross were in the right direction. They do seem to have knocked the outgoings on the head with sale which is a shame.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

“The amount of people on bikes was amazing because it was a sunny morning but actually nine out of 10 looked absolutely appalling,” he says. “Not only did they look terrible but the stuff they were wearing …” He tails off muttering about sweaty high-vis jackets and the probable chafe caused by baggy shorts.

😀

I think for at least 9 out of 10 people, looking good on a bike means wearing anything other than lycra.

butcher

My Aldi winter cycling jersey was a revelation to me, and works just as well as much more expensive gear. Often the biggest downside to cheap clothing is the fit…

People buy into it, believing that anything less than Rapha is a lesser product. And so they must have it.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

Whereas I like the brand even more… strong mission statement, good clothing, and when it boils down to it, there are many many more expensive brands out there.

Sales are on at the mo with 25% off everything for doing a survey.

Everything I’ve bought has been perfect and washes well and lasts.

Love it.

I’ve had aldi bibs and thought they were the bee’s knees… but the truth is they’re not half as comfortable as rapha, Morvélo or endura… and they look s***e

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

fashionable cycling gear

latent demand for fashionable cycling gear and opened stores – or “clubhouses” as it calls them

Mottram’s commuting outfit of reflective jacket, tights and overshoes would give little change from £500

It even has its own riding club with 9,000 members paying £135 a year for perks including free coffee in its clubhouses.

Inside, the white-painted brick walls are adorned with cycling memorabilia, while the reception cum coffee bar buzzes like an Apple store.

Has there ever been a worse time to be a cyclist?

MoreCashThanDash

I like their kit, it’s comfy, it lasts and it has some clever features, and I buy it when it’s at a price I can afford, either on sale or on ebay. They have done a lot of good for cycling in the UK as mentioned above, and made no secret of their views on pricing and image as part of the process.

And I’m now a “brand ambassador” for another cycle clothing brand, so I have to be careful no one sees me in Rapha socks if my others are in the wash….. 😉

Rubber_Buccaneer

cum coffee

Think I’ll have a tea thanks

vondally
    Free Member

Okay, tell me what they have done for cycling in the UK ?

onandon
    Free Member

I’m not a member but if you live close to one it’s a cheap way to get coffe and discounted cycling gear.
    I’m also not a fanboy but there are plenty of fat lads on here who should check out their policy for allowing you to buy bigger sizes and change for highly discounted smaller gear as you loose weight.

If you don’t like it, don’t buy it. No need for a snide thread on the forum every week.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The only reason their kit lasts really well is because it’s worn by fair weather cyclists who ride no more than three thousand miles per year.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

davidtaylforth – Member
    The only reason their kit lasts really well is because it’s worn by fair weather cyclists who ride no more than three thousand miles per year

LOL, that’ll get a few 😉

nickc

Dislike the brand more now.

why? Beacuse they won’t make a £20 cycling jersey? seems an odd reaction

MoreCashThanDash

Stop trolling taylforth! 😆

What have they done – they’ve sponsored and run their own successful UK based cycle team with Condor, they’ve set up/supported a load of different cycling events over the years, races, gravel rides etc, and they had those 3-4 years with Sky.

They’ve never hidden the fact that they think they are the bees knees and will happily take all your money IF you want to give it to them.

on an on – with my brand ambassador hat on, there are other cycle clothing retailers who also cater for the Fat Lads (and Lasses) who like their lycra 😉

crazy-legs

Okay, tell me what they have done for cycling in the UK ?

Oh where do you want to start?
    At pro level they sponsored the Rapha-Condor-JLT squad for many years (probably one of the best and most consistent domestic UK teams)
    They’ve organised dozens of CX races (the Rapha Supercross events)
    Theyve sponsored loads of local level races too – near me in Manchester they’ve done the local hill climb, the Tameside circuit races and down in London they did one of the Eastern Region road race league events.

They’ve coordinated with Strava to do the Festive 500, various climbing challenges and other things like the Women’s 100 to get people out on bikes.

Regular rides go out from all their clubhouses, they also use them as a base for talks, exhibitions & social nights.

They’ve brought smart practical kit to people who would never have bought into the fluoro Euro look (at a time when that was really all that was available)

Klunk
    Free Member

it’s a piece of polyester.

meow, feel the burn 😀

vondally
    Free Member

you don’t like it, don’t buy it. No need for a snide thread on the forum every week.

Surprisingly I was reading the Guardian and was taken aback by the staggering hubris, tremendous marketing and self aggrandisement of the CEO and brand. In a capitalist consumerist buy the life style brand then you pays your money and makes your choice.

No longer buy after found it pretty poor quality for money, merino wool jersey especially. In contrast my aldi base layers from last winter have been pretty amazing in wicking away sweat from my body.

Placed the thread really to see what people thought, suprsingly in a forum on bikes and biking.

mr_stru

tribal cycling community

There is at least one bit of the article that everyone can agree on at least 🙂

I’ve got some Rapha stuff and it’s nice. It’s probably not 10 times nicer than the stuff from Aldi (I don’t own any stuff from there so I can’t say) but it’s all diminishing returns with these things. If someone is happy to spend the cash on it then that’s fine. Equally if you’re happy with kit from Aldi then that’s fine too. It does the job you need it to for the amount of money you’re willing to spend.

It’s only cycling kit after all.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Henrie Westlake is 42 and has been road cycling all his adult life, but would never contemplate wearing Rapha’s clothing. His choice is not down to the cost, nor the quality. “It has become the uniform of a certain sector of ‘new’ cyclists,” he contends, “and by that I refer to the stereotypical cliché of ‘all the gear, no idea’.

There are sections of the cycling community who are dismissive of those who spend more time talking about kit in the cafe than actually riding a bike. “I’ve frequently heard cyclists say that you rarely see a good amateur cyclist in Rapha.” In his opinion, “the best way to look good on a bike is to drop everyone on a climb.”

😀

onandon
    Free Member

vondally Sorry, that wasn’t directed at you. Just a general,FFS, another Rapha thread with a load of the usual bitching.

vondally
    Free Member

Crazy legs thanks for the detail…..great they are promoting cycling but ( for debates sake) didn’t and don’t local cycle shops and clubs do that?

Excellent point on the euro fluro colours and kit sponsor’s.

On and on…no worries and I was am interested in the thoughts, like crazy legs pointing out what they do

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Equally if you’re happy with kit from Aldi then that’s fine too

Yeh, but it’s not though is it?

You look like shit wearing it, and hence do untold damage to the image of the sport.

Klunk
    Free Member

Can see why Sky ****** off to Castelli now, MD of Rapha comes across as a complete knob.

butcher

why? Beacuse they won’t make a £20 cycling jersey? seems an odd reaction

Don’t think it is anything to do with a £20 jersey. Rather the fact that the bloke comes across as a complete tosser.

anagallis_arvensis

I was out on a group ride this weekend, noticed a rider in a Rapha top paired with dhb shorts, made my inverse snobbery monitor go into meltdown.

Anyway Rapha is for knobends assos is better kit, luckily I cant afford either!!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

vondally
    Free Member

my inverse snobbery monitor go into meltdown.

😆

MoreCashThanDash

Rather the fact that the bloke comes across as a complete tosser.

That’s not exactly news though, given interviews he’s done in the past. He’s very driven and been very successful. A lot of those type of people come across as complete tossers, though that might be my jealousy talking.

yossarian
    Free Member

Who is worse? Frapercino rapha hipster wannabes or total mix and match pro kit ****? At least with the first lot they are buying into the latest fashionable hobby. With the mix and matchers they always offer the excuse that it was cheap and it works well. Yeah right, you love the advertising! Makes up for all of the disappointments in your life. Don’t even get me started on the retro jersey lot. Insufferable bellends.

nickc

Rather the fact that the bloke comes across as a complete tosser.

I’ve read the article again, and I can’t see it myself, but haters gonna hate I guess.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Not a fan, I tried some stuff a few yes ago which fell apart in no time.

Personally I think there’s better availabile for less.

As for looking good?

When your kit is spattered in mud, snot, sweat & your heart is beating fit to burst……how good do you look then??

tomhoward

didn’t and don’t local cycle shops and clubs do that?

Yep, but none on the size and scale of the Rapha events. How many other multinational clothing manufacturers organise stuff like this?

I know a lot of people have a chip on their shoulder about them, they need to get over themselves. It’s cycling kit, I find it to be very good cycling kit, not the cheapest, but definitely the best I own which is what I care about, rather that who else is wearing it, or what others think of me wearing it.

Rarely ride without their bibs, on or off road, and the brevet jerseys are pretty much my default jersey on all but the hottest days.

That said, I don’t care for their marketing…

Not a fan, I tried some stuff a few yes ago which fell apart in no time.

I assume you used the free repair service?

mashiehood
    Free Member

A successful British brand – let’s shoot them down for their success.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I read the article and didn’t detect any particular bell-endery on display.

I don’t own any Rapha stuff and probably never will, but it looks like good kit and I don’t see any problem with spendy kit existing and people buying it who haven’t necessarily been riding for 20 years.

A lot of the Rapha/MAMIL bashing strikes me as a variation on tedious pub bore snobbery and people showing off the chips on their shoulders. Cycling has no shortage of people desperate to tell others that they’re doing it wrong.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

That is amazing 😯

mrlebowski
    Free Member

AFAIK the free repair service is only for kit that was damaged in a crash or an accident – my stuff just fell apart……..

Mind it was about 10 yrs ago, they may well have improved the quality of their products since then.

I still think there is better available for less..

RustySpanner

I’ve no issue with the gear itself.
    The replacement policy makes the shorts good value if you put in the arse miles, as it were.

It is occasionally worn a little over enthusiastically by a certain type of ‘buy a lifestyle’ throbber.
    You can spot them on threads like this now and then…..
    🙂

nickc

I still think there is better available for less

Such as?

vondally
    Free Member

The thing outsiders don’t realise is how pure what we do is. I’ve been allowed to create the perfect model of what I think a consumer brand should be.”

That there is hubris and self aggrandisement, or a very aware of what they are doing as a consumer brand, or a combination of both.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Mavic seem better priced, Endura works just fine too.

They may not have the “style” of Rapha but I couldn’t give a hoot what someone thinks of what I look like when I’m on my bike.

I’m a cyclist, not a frikkin clothes horse..

there is hubris and self aggrandisement

😆

Also known as knocking one out over your reflection in the mirror!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 131 total)

The topic ‘Rapha article in guardian…..’ is closed to new replies.