Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • RANT – Evans Cycles – Are my expectations to high?
  • tomhoward

No one should be told to get a credit card if they don’t want one.

You mightn’t want a cc but that’s exactly what you’ve used paypal for….

outspoken
    Free Member

except I’m not paying interest and can’t spend anything extra on it?

tomhoward

You don’t on a cc if you pay it off at the first asking (usually 30 days after, not 14) and you can set a credit limit.

Next?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

maybe take advice from their “Knowledgable staff”

IMHO from what you describe the member was knowledgeable in telling you they didn’t have anymore in stock and so was who looks after their twitter in telling you how to solve your problem.

Yes reading is that hard when they say they stock a VAST array of clothing instore

I would have more sympathy for you if it was a more mainstream item. But waterproof trousers just aren’t a high priority in terms of cycle clothing. the fact they had a pair in shows its a product they stock, just not at the specific time you went in. I wish I could go shopping all the time and find everything in stock.

Anyway wouldn’t Waders be better in this weather for living under a bridge?

imnotverygood

Yes reading is that hard when they say they stock a VAST array of clothing instore

If they meant that they had loads of different waterproof trousers in the store I believe the correct terminology would have been : ‘An ENORMOUS array of clothing instore’

HTH

Dickyboy

my opinion of twitter users is clearly not wrong

outspoken
    Free Member

I would have more sympathy for you if it was a more mainstream item. But waterproof trousers just aren’t a high priority in terms of cycle clothing.

i’m not looking for sympathy, it was purely a RANT as per the title. also Sorry for wanting to stay dry when i cycle. Obviously some of us are not as hardcore as others.

Anyway wouldn’t Waders be better in this weather for living under a bridge?

Not sure what your implying by this.

‘An ENORMOUS array of clothing instore’

Well they quoted VAST? but I’m sure 1 pair is not VAST but maybe not Enormous?

eshershore
    Free Member

its tricky expecting a retailer to stock every product in every size in store

yesterday I went into a Specialized Concept Store to buy some winter tights for road cycling

found some big gaps in their stock levels – could not get a popular “roubaix” winter tight in medium, because Evans and Cycle Surgery bought out Specialized UK’s stock on the first “drop” that landed, and smaller retailers (including many of these concept stores) were left without stock…

funny business, the bike industry! and I work in it…

gwaelod
    Free Member

Evans in Cardiff are dissappointing

I called in a fortnight ago to pick up a pack of shimano sis gear cables – none in stock. I’d have thought they would be a staple for any bike shop to keep in stock. To make sure the next time I went there I checked on their website that the cassette I wanted was in stock…it was..it said they had two…so I walked across cardiff in the rain…only to be told they couldn’t find any in the shop.

FFS

I got shimano cables from Clas Ohlson, chain reaction delivered me a cassette 2 days later for £9 less than the ones Evans didn’t have.

lesson learned.

matt1986
    Free Member

I work for Evans and to be fair my shop carries 3 types of waterproof pants. Now the problem is each shop is given a rating for what everything from tools to clothes. This rating from abcd will effect what stock they carry an what brands they stock.

But in 2 years working at my store I don’t think I have ever sold a set of waterproof pants they just don’t sell that we’ll.

With regards to the gear cable most shops only get stock replenishment once a week so you may of called in before they received that which is unfortunate but its not viable to deliver replenishment everyday.

Also paying for the item to be delivered can be a pain but there is a cost in transporting the goods and if you order 10 and take one there is 9 items left to be returned to the wearhouse where shipping docs have to be created by the store re packaged and sent off. Now I know it’s not ideal but what else can Evans do? It’s like I had a guy order in a £6k super six just to size himself up that could of got damaged on the way and he had no intention of buying it. It’s all swings and round snouts

nealglover
    Free Member

No one should be told to get a credit card if they don’t want one.

Why not ?

Your “problem” would be solved instantly if you had one.

If you don’t want people to solve your “problems” for you online, then tell everyone what your having problems with.

loddrik
    Free Member

Always slagged Evans off, but after some recent dealings with Evans in liverpool my opinion has changed. Decent lads who all ride and have gone above and beyond even when not required. Ok the bikes they stock aren’t really my cup of tea (lots of 29ers and Specialized, but no Mavericks ) 😀 but I can’t fault the staff.

I’ll be using them more often.

outspoken
    Free Member

OK so i appreciate the logistics and runnings of a shop.

I don’t have a problem with Evans or any other store for that matter. I obviously underestimated the demand for people wishing to stay dry below the knee line.

AdamW
    Free Member

I have sympathy for the OP and lets face it, Evans are one of the worst shops for bikes I’ve ever frequented. The idiot who sold me my Trek Fuel EX9 was a perfect example of how not to sell a bike. (Saying that I find I usually want to strangle the assistants at leisurelakes…)

What Evans should have said was “Sorry, not in stock but we’ll order down a few sizes, call you when they’re in and you can come and try then buy the ones you want.” You shouldn’t have to slap a wodge on *your* credit/debit card for them to get your business.

wonkey_donkey
    Free Member

i’m with the OP – it’s pis* poor to be expected to buy 4 pairs of items just try them on, i mean wtf?

outspoken
    Free Member

it seems people are of a split opinion on this one.

I can see both sides, i guess my main “Beef” when i look back on it is the expectation for me to have to buy 4 pairs of trousers and front up the money to do so! regardless of whether it would be refunded or not.

As for the Credit Card debate, its a personal thing. Been there, done that, had my fingers burnt as a youngster and still not wanting to get another one.

tomhoward

You dont have to buy them all up front though, if money is that much of an issue buy the one you like the look of best, in what you think will be the right size. If it turns out to be hideous/the wrong size, take it back for exchange for other style/size. Not hard is it? It’s not like they make you buy every size and style!

endoverend

What Evans should have said was “Sorry, not in stock but we’ll order down a few sizes, call you when they’re in and you can come and try then buy the ones you want.” You shouldn’t have to slap a wodge on *your* credit/debit card for them to get your business.

Sorry, completely disagree with you on this one, the problem here is people are out of touch with what large companies have needed to do to stay afloat during the downturn. This large company has a vast array of obscure products kept at the warehouse, and a sensible selection in store – do you really expect them to shift stock around the country at a financial loss on a whim? They’d go under in no time. Can you do the same with the internet only giants?

Yes, the OP’s expectations are unrealistic, It’s just not the nice fluffy world we live in anymore.

outspoken
    Free Member

think your missing the point Tom. I want them for the weekend, i do not have time to order and send back, order and send back. Also i wouldn’t bother going to a shop to do so… My expectations of a shop are to hold stock of stuff for people to see and try on.

nealglover
    Free Member

I want them for the weekend

You could have been better prepared then ?

Also i wouldn’t bother going to a shop to do so… My expectations of a shop are to hold stock of stuff for people to see and try on.

Try and find any bike shop that has multiple different types of waterproof cycling trousers available in a range of sizes ?

Having trouble finding one ?

Thought so 😉

They have a range of stuff available in a range of sizes.

They just don’t stock stuff that not many people buy. It wouldn’t make any sense to do so.

scrumfled
    Free Member

If a shop doesnt stock stuff and has to ‘order it in’, it then has to have some value add over and above just ordering it on the internet. If theres no value add, people will just order online.

outspoken
    Free Member

Note to self must remind my rational mind to kick out one of its 2 million thoughts quicker so as not to inconvenience a retailer!

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘RANT – Evans Cycles – Are my expectations to high?’ is closed to new replies.