Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Rannoch windfarm – keep Rannoch wild
  • matt_outandabout

Please read this and get involved. Wind farms and estate roads, when will it end?

http://www.keeprannochwild.org.uk

iolo
    Free Member

So what’s the solution? Where will the electricity come from?
    Coal/gas? – Too Polluting
    Nuclear? – Bloody expensive
    Hydro Electric – fine but locations are very limited.
    Those dead birds at the bottom of the page was a bit gruesome. Is there actual data that birds die any more than flying into houses and sky scrapers?

Jamie
    Free Member

Matt’s a NiMBY.

Who’d a thunk it.

Northwind

Jamie

Matt’s a NiMBY.

It’s Rannoch Moor, it’s not in anyone’s back yard. I think that’s kind of the point.

The website feels a little bit nutterish but I can’t help but agree- is this really the best place?

footflaps

I like wind farms, they look magnificent, whereas Rannoch Moor is pretty bleak at the best of times….

seosamh77
    Free Member

Looking at map doesn’t look like it’ll be near rannoch moor. Its north of rannoch loch and east of loch ericht. Which is the middle of nowhere in amoungst some peaks. If they do it right I’d guess it could be fairly hidden.

johndoh
    Free Member

I like wind farms, they look magnificent

Agreed – I love watching the blades spinning, especially when set against a stormy dark sky – something like this….

anagallis_arvensis

Rannoch moor isnt wild

jamesybob

If you have ever been up Ben Alder or any of the nearby hills or ridden the classic Ben Alder loop you would realise that it is a pretty amazing area with little sign of human intrusion, short of the bothy at Ben Alder cottage and the path. It takes a few hours to get there by bike and probably a day by walking if you start from east, west or north. There are no turbines visible anywhere near it just now. It is not a good place for a wind farm. There is also no centre of population nearby to use the power. Why not stick them on the south downs and they can power London without cables the length of the country?

gobuchul
    Free Member

Windfarms are shit. Offshore wind even worse.

jaaaaaaaaaam
    Free Member

I agree, lets build some new thorium reactors.

hora
    Free Member

Will it affect your views OP?

scotroutes

Not true at all.

johndoh
    Free Member

little sign of human intrusion

Then surely it’s the best place for a windfarm – there will be fewer people to piss off when they put it there.

jamesybob

So what signs of human intrusion are there then? Once you’re over the bealachs heading west past Ben Alder there’s basically nothing bar a couple of small forests and you don’t really see them much of the time. Was through there at Easter and just looked back through pictures. If you come in from the south there is a bit more granted but it is out of sight from Loch Ericht.

jamesybob

The point is if you keep putting them where there is little development very quickly there is no where left that has been not been developed and it is a lot harder to go back from that. SNH includes this area in it’s core wild land map and I fully agree with that.

Jamie
    Free Member

I thought tidal power was the future? Always on etc etc.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Desolate grazing land. It’s not like you could make it uglier.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis – Member

Rannoch moor isnt wild

It’s bloody wild if you get caught there in bad weather, believe me. 😀

grum
    Free Member

Keep Scotland in its natural state (of being a huge shooting estate)!! 😡

Seriously though – mixed feelings about this one…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’d build windfarms all around new estates and their lego houses. Would improve the look of the houses no end…

scotroutes

You really don’t see the irony in that, do you?

If you come in from the south there is a bit more granted but it is out of sight from Loch Ericht.

You do know that Loch Ericht is an artificial construct with dams at both ends?

cynic-al
    Free Member

jamesybob – Member
    Why not stick them on the south downs and they can power London without cables the length of the country?

Someone else’s back yard?

jamesybob

To me it is a bit different, yes it would be great if it was all natural forest or whatever was there at whatever random point in history suits you for that argument but currently there is water and plants and mountains, all stuff that is not obviously man made for about as far as you can see. The forests are not always visible but 400 foot turbine would be. So while I understand your point I don’t agree with it. You might as well cover all the highlands in turbines and be done with it in that case.

johndoh
    Free Member

I thought tidal power was the future? Always on etc etc.

They tried that but it kept sucking the electricity back out when the tide went out.

jamesybob

Somebody else’s back yard yes, where there is obvious development all around and a huge market for the power within eyesight. Why change areas that are a natural as is possible now in the UK when there are plenty that are near the population centres and already covered in roads, houses pylons etc

scotroutes

Or are killed by cats?

Estimates of how many creatures are killed by cats each year vary significantly.
    The most recent figures are from the Mammal Society, which estimates that the UK’s cats catch up to 275 million prey items a year, of which 55 million are birds. This is the number of prey items that were known to have been caught; we don’t know how many more the cats caught, but didn’t bring home, or how many escaped but subsequently died.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/gardening/unwantedvisitors/cats/birddeclines.aspx

Northwind

jamesybob – Member

To me it is a bit different, yes it would be great if it was all natural forest

I thought the current wisdom is that most of the deforestation there is natural? Warming causing the original forests to die off, then the short cold wet spell damaging the land enough to prevent easy return?

iolo
    Free Member

Or are killed by cats?

Will these turbines have cat bodyguards?

Nipper99
    Free Member

I have a real hatred of wind farms. Not only are they ugly and ineffective but also a scam – cut the subsidies and see how many schemes move forward. We seem to be inudated with them around here s/mid wales – they create no local jobs and our gov’t has no say over the larger schemes which are imposed by the Westminster Gov’t- I wouldn’t mind if say they were built here or serviced and maintained here or I could hold our gov’t to account. The Melincourt wind farm (the one now at Afan)is serviced from Germany or Denmark. A few wind farms in the Chilterns, South Downs on the Malvern Hills? HS2 and the world is going to end!

scotroutes

Nuclear

iolo
    Free Member

OP, I presume you use electricity. How would you prefer it be produced?

matt_outandabout

I posted this as I think we need to get fussy about the little wild land we have.

I am aware that the term wild is relative. The whole of that Valley is man affected – forests cleared and Loch Eric is artificially flooded, and the current and ruined roads and buildings. However, it is almost as good as it gets in the UK, and the solitude up there still impacts those of us fortunate enough to visit.
    The thought that we could put in such massive structures, that would be visible from all sorts of places (see Muriel Gray’s comments about seeing Shiehallion from every other top) is just beyond me.

It is not just wind farms – see the new access roads everywhere, and maintenence of massive sporting estates is also a big issue.
    http://www.christownsendoutdoors.com/2014/05/the-devastation-of-eastern-highlands.html?m=1

matt_outandabout

For those asking about my power use and preference for generation – I live in the shadow of the braes of Doune wind farm. I think it is great – on the edge of a town, near a main road, next to grid tie etc.
    What iI want is us all to use less, much less, and throw money at house insulation and efficiencies.

Jamie
    Free Member

Or are killed by cats?

*continues drinking*

iolo
    Free Member

Top work Jamie

jaaaaaaaaaam
    Free Member

Jamie – Freeloader! But we still like him
    Or are killed by cats?

*continues drinking*

I can hear Bill Oddie crying.

fergal
    Free Member

Are you going to stop driving because of potential road kill.

PS. Don’t let facts get in the way of a good bit of hyperbole, the farm site isn’t on the Rannoch moor neither.

footflaps

have a real hatred of wind farms. Not only are they ugly and ineffective but also a scam – cut the subsidies and see how many schemes move forward

If you cut all the subsidies everyone would just build gas fired power generators. All very good and cheap in the short term, but does nothing long term for sustainability or CO2 levels…..

buenfoxa
    Free Member

Where do I sign to support it?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Rannoch windfarm – keep Rannoch wild’ is closed to new replies.