Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Rannoch route problem
  • scratch
    Free Member

Bare with me on this,it’s probably more complecated than it needs to be. I’m looking at riding from Dalwhinnie (or another station on the Edinburgh-Inverness line)
    to Oban to get the ferry for a few days island hopping.

Any route suggestions Dalwhinnie – Oban?
    The top bit is causing the most problems, currently I’m looking at riding out over Ben Alder and staying out somewhere on the hill overnight. Then heading towards the Devils staircase / Glen Coe area the next day.

I did two routes between Ben Alder and Glen Coe last year, neither i’d look forward to repeating
    1.Ben Alder (Great singletrack) push down the valley towards Loch Ossian (not so great)
    2. Black Corries Lodge push Rannoch station – needed to be done at the time but I’d rather not spend an afternoon repeating.

Is there anything else worth a look in the area?

druidh
    Free Member

Off the top of my head, is there no way of heading down the side of Loch Garry and out SW that way??

druidh
    Free Member

Dammit. I was thinking Loch Garry, Bridge of Gaur, Loch Tulla, Glen Kinglass, but there’s a 5km section between BoG and the A82 at Achallader with nothing marked on the 1:50k map. There must be something, as there’s a power line shown through the forestry area.

scratch
    Free Member

I’ll check that for the return route, I’ll need to get from Skye to Dalwhinnie to get back. Looks like it’ll hold a few options.

5k’s a nice stroll if nothing else comes up.

scratch
    Free Member

Nice one Druidh, just had a quick look at that, Loch Garry/Tulla route,
    exactly what I’m after, I’ll head for the railway line and push down through the forestry for that 5k.

Thanks!

Stu_N

The most rideable route would be from Dalwhinnie southwest to Loch Pattack, north the west following the River Pattack, down the side of Lochan na h’earba, NW towards Laggan Dam, S down the strath ossian road to Loch Ossian then from Loch Ossian to Loch Treig (the path running NW from loch bypassing station is better IIRC). That’s all landrover track and reasonably easy going. From Loch Treig it’s about 6km of on/off the bike to Meanach then you can follow the Loch Eilide track to Kinlochleven.

From Kinlochleven could go S over the Devil’s Staircase to Kingshouse, then WHW past Ba Cottage to Loch Tulla, W to Glen Kinglass and SW to Taynuilt – again that’s virtually all rideable – top bit of Devil’s staircase (after you leave the hydro road until A82) would be a bit on/off but rest is fine.

Could go via Lochs Ericht and Pattack to Culra bothy then Bealach Dubh, trackless to Ossian then pick up the route suggested above. Harder, more mountainous but probaly half the distance of the rideable route. EDIT – just realised you’ve done that, d’oh!

HeatherBash
    Free Member

not bad ’bout 2 miles of hikeabike between the forest road and Gorton bothy…

Glen Lyon / Loch Lyon is all rideable out to Auch (yeah I know it’s not marked on the map but it’s there – an estate track all the way around LL)

Or go via Ben Alder cottage, Rannoch, back over to Ossian, Loch Trieg, Glen Lolairean, Blacwater reservoir and down to KLL.

Neither option very direct and the latter fairly committing – depends what you’re used to 😉

Stu_N

Glen Lyon / Loch Lyon is all rideable out to Auch (yeah I know it’s not marked on the map but it’s there – an estate track all the way around LL)

So the the track on the north side of the Loch and Allt Kinglass join up? Excellent news, will remember that!

I had some shonky recollection of it all being trackless but must be a dozen years since I was last along there, and can’t quite remember whether it was that glen or Glen Corallan/ Abhainn Ghlass we walked.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Does indeed – the House of Trevor has its uses 🙂

coffeeking
    Free Member

Get the route on Bikely so we can all see your trip! (and steal it for our own uses!)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Rannoch route problem’ is closed to new replies.