Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Randomise Democracy?
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

Interesting thought tbh! Do away with elections, choose a random, truly representative, selection of people and fire them into partliament for 4/5years.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

choose a random, truly representative, selection of people

And after 4 million years the computer produces the criteria …

Sorry I think there is a flaw at step one there

ninfan
    Free Member

Would you want me representing you in Parliament?

I rest my case

jam-bo

The lunatic fringe needs representation too.

Spin
    Free Member

There is an excellent Jorge Luis Borges short story called ‘The Lottery in Babylon’ which deals with something similar but more extensive.

rene59
    Free Member

Take any scenario where a bunch of random people are put into a group to do something and there will be a very small percentage of ‘natural leaders’ who will try and take charge from the beginning and end up arguing amoung themselves making zero progress whilst everyone else switches off and daydreams about something more interesting.

It will just end up like what we have now.

athgray
    Free Member

For this to truly work, then the people running the ‘lottery machine’, would have to know a heck of a lot about us to allow it to be sufficiently random.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Would you want me representing you in Parliament?

I’ve always felt that where we are now has a bit to do with UKIP voters having little or no representation at Westminister, despite their share of the vote. There’s probably a constituency of even more swivel-eyed headbangers that need representation too, so you can have a seat. I don’t think you’d last long in real life, but it would be fun watching.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Facebook have the data. IIRC the Greeks used to do this – the form of government, not Facebook.

athgray
    Free Member

The Greek method was dicussed in the link. FB does have a lot of data, although we generally don’t like it. I still think they would need even more data. There could also be data creep, in the interest of being even more representative.

As mentioned in the clip, democracy has expanded massively in the last 100 years. It is still effectively in its infancy.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Randomise Democracy?’ is closed to new replies.