Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Random YT Capra request
  • zero-cool
    Free Member

The Missus is thinking of getting a YT Capra and I was just wondering if anyone with a medium could possibly measure how far it is from the ground to the saddle on a small or medium (with or without reverb) as we’re trying to compare it to her current bike.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Tom Kp

Also anyone had any problems with theirs, such as bearings, components etc? She’s probably gonna get the Blue carbon one with Bos kit

Ta

Milkie
    Free Member

There is 695 page thread on Pinkbike all about the Capra’s.

I would take everything on there with a pinch of salt and they get very arsey with each other. When reading remember;, if you have a problem you will tell 9/10 people, if you haven’t got a problem you may tell 1/10 people about how great it is.

I have read many pointless pages and would say I would happily order a Carbon Capra.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I ride with two guys with Capras, on a small but sadly I don’t have access to measure it. Both have the CF Comp and have had horrendous problems with the e13 wheels- both have had to go back at least twice, one three times. There was also a letter in MBR last month from a disgruntled customer who had the same issue.

Other than the wheels they are very happy with them.

thomasgeorge
    Free Member

I’ve got a pro race in medium, and with 35mm of the seat post out of the frame, it’s 1080 mm from the ground to the top of the saddle. So with seat as low as possible, it would be 1045mm.

Not had any issues, but if you take a look at the YT industries UK Facebook page, there are forever people going on about the e13 wheels having issues with bearings and the freehub.

It’s a great bike, not just on the gnarly stuff, climbs well, and equally as happy on gentle trails

honourablegeorge

I’d echo the above, the E13 wheels have some California sealing on them, freehubs just rust away to bits, which is a shame because the rims are good kit.

There were some early chain stay issues, but they made some changes to address that – other than that, they’re a top bike.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I had a scoot through that Pinkbike thread – as one of my riding buddies has had 2 frames crack in the same place (front triangle shock mount) and it does seem to be an ever increasing number of people it’s happening to, there was a guy on there who’s been through 4 frames in a year? 😯

There are some proper mentalists arguing amongst each other too, makes this place look relatively normal!

FWIW, having experienced by proxy the warranty grief I wouldn’t be buying one.

nasher
    Free Member

The YT Capra is the most common bike (along with the SC nomad) on our trips here in Italy.

Now that they have sorted the chainstay/hanger issue, they are awesome machines.

The only issue we have seen are the models with the E13 wheels. We have had to send three to the local bike shops to be re built (the shop has seen over 20 of these wheels for rebuilds) as the spokes keep snapping and one wheel where the freehub seized..

Other than that, no resaon to get one..

RickDraper
    Free Member

Took them 4 weeks to replace the seat stay on my mates one, then they returned it missing bolts. He has had endless issues with the E13 wheels and has given up on them and now he has found the seemingly common crack on the seat tube/ linkage bridge.

droppinneutron
    Free Member

Any broken Nomads yet?

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

This may help you- My medium Capras minimum seat height measures 840mm – from center of pedal axle at lowest position to middle of seat rail(so going by the seat tube lengths of the small and large this same measurement would be deducted to be around 790mm on the small and 870mm on the large).You need to take into account the 150mm drop reverb that limits how far you can lower the saddle within each frame size.
    The measurements to really compare to a current bike are that of Reach and Stack .

nasher
    Free Member

Any broken Nomads yet?

only one….

StuE
    Free Member

Capra AL 1 comes with a DT swiss wheelset and claimed weight is only a couple of pounds more than the CF Pro race

zero-cool
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies. The Alu ones look a bargain, but it’s all about the colour for her 😉
    And to be fair it’s her money and she can afford to get the bike she wants nowadays.
    We’re happy with the reach and stack as the medium is about halfway between my Alpine 160 and her small Covert.
    We’re just trying to get as many measurements as possible to compare with what she’s ridden as she’s only had a very short spin on the small Capra and I’ve tried the Large Alu one.

Anyone know if you can convert a 150 reverb to a 125 travel if necessary?
    I think she’s already budgeted for having to swap to Hope wheels in the near future but I think the e13s have a decent length warranty on them nowadays.

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

You can of course just sell the stealth 150mm drop reverb and buy a 125mm ‘if’ required,I’m sure conversion won’t be simple if any one will do it.Although to me this would ‘maybe’ be indicating your buying the wrong size bike .The main killer of the e13’s is moisture so people getting them now and using them won’t be having the same issues (for a while…..)

scaled
    Free Member

To balance it up with the e13 wheels, the Crossmax’s that came on mine went back to Mavic 3 times ( front once, rear twice) before I sold them.

Other than that, it’s an awesome machine.

droppinneutron
    Free Member

Any broken Nomads yet?
    only one…

Thats pretty good with so many sold

theendisnigh
    Free Member

I have a 2014 capra pro, I also sold the mavic wheels as they were terrible. I replaced with arch on hope and all good now.

I think the Rockshox options are probably safer than Bos, my Bos fork is a bit noisey, it works well but so would the pike. Also the 170mm travel deadens many trails, so the riding can be less fun. Its great on full on dh trails and it climbs well. You can easily ride around xc trails its just makes them a feel little featureless at times. Putting the rear shock into climb mode would probably help, I should try this….

if you get the model with mavic wheels, i’d sell them imediately, you’ll get good money for them as they look so bling. Even second hand mine paid for my new wheels and some cash to spare. and the new wheels are miles better.

pigeonthing
    Free Member

My mate has one…its been great, (local northumberland an the alps) …and he thrashes bikes, and thats from me who has a long history of component destruction..
    the only thing i was going to add was i read a review that favoured the rs versions over the bos… think it was the pb review…just said set up was better on the rs version, and cheaper to boot…

zero-cool
    Free Member

Just another quick question. How tall are you guys with the medium and small Capras? Going by the spec sheetsi’m not sure what size to get. She finds her Small Covert to be as short as she can manage, but also likes the length of my 18 inch Alpine 160 (2012 before they got proper long). So I think it’ll all come down to how tall Capras are.
    Gonna fiddle with her bike tonight while it’s on the work stand to try to recreate the saddle height/reach etc of the Capra for a comparison and hopefully find someone at FOD this weekend with one to sit on for a size up.

Ta

Tom Kp

matther01
    Free Member

5’7″-5’8″ here on a medium. 29″-30″ inside leg.

Ditched the 150mm reverb for a 125mm integra. Still a bit of post showing but better than not being able to reach the pedals!

Currently running the stock 50mm stem with 800mm 20mm rise bars…but will be trying a 30mm stem shortly.

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

I’m 5’7″ with a medium Capra with original 150mm dropper 30-40mm out of frame.I have long legs for my size and ride clipless .

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Random YT Capra request’ is closed to new replies.