Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Random TDF Q
  • footflaps

Where do all the special jerseys / team strips appear from eg Cav is now in an all green ensemble (must be winning the sprint points thing). Do all the teams carry Yellow, Green, Polka dot full strips for all their riders just in case they get someone in the lead?

Or does someone print them off on a machine over night to order, a generic green cycling set and just add logos for whichever rider it is?

beej

Or does someone print them off on a machine over night to order, a generic green cycling set and just add logos for whichever rider it is?

This. There’s a video somewhere of the presentation jersey being printed before the ceremony.

beej

Here.

footflaps

This. There’s a video somewhere of the presentation jersey being printed before the ceremony.

Did wonder about that!

They messed up the one in that film, the transfer thing is too low in the white box!

footflaps

I guess the green / yellow bikes are up to the team to sort out, or does someone do an overnight respray?

didnthurt

I’m sure one year a frame was rushed from the factory to the race all spray painted. Can’t remember which rider or team tough. 😂

footflaps

I’m sure one year a frame was rushed from the factory to the race all spray painted. Can’t remember which rider or team tough.

Wasn’t that Sky / Ineos and a Pinerello? Was in an artcile in Cycling IIRC.

You’d think they could strip, re-spray and re-assemble a bike over night, might not be the best paint job, but it only has to last one stage.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah it’s great how they do it all. I am really enjoying the yellow/green/polka dot masks this year 🙂

I also like how they do stuff like get their bars taped the right colour. “Hey, Ineos, can we have some of your yellow bar tape now you don’t need it lol”

theotherjonv

There’s also supposedly the disadvantage of not wearing your tailormade hand sewn with latest aero tech skin suit in the TT if you’re unexpectedly in a leaders jersey. I suspect the bigger teams (ie those with a genuine GC contender) can get prepped or even have someone sewing all night to make one, the green / polka dots are generally not targetting TT’s anyway so the marginal gains are a bit ‘so what’

didnthurt

Might have been Sky. 👍

Houns

The Oakley’s (Kato’s in this instance) are painted beforehand and given to the rep covering the race

sparksmcguff

Suppliers have provided kit overnight when an unexpected rider has taken a meaningful jersey and wants s to ride in there own kit. Jumbo and Ineos carry stuff like yellow bar tape/ finishing kit.

dannybgoode

You’ve then got the little touches. Noticed Cav’s bike computer had green flashes and then there’s the helmet and stuff. Thing is – miss a part and it will stand out like a pit bull’s pleasure sack

TiRed

I suspect the bigger teams (ie those with a genuine GC contender) can get prepped or even have someone sewing all night to make one

No self respecting TT rider wants to wear a Le Coq skinsuit. They are measurably slower than the kit the riders will have tested in the wind tunnel. Teams have people to make adjustments the night before. In the case of Sky they rebuilt the suit. Sometimes an undergarment has been worn to add aero texture to the yellow skin suit to replicate Endura.

As for frames. Well teams will take a bike frame if they believe it’s a prospect. Normally for the last stage celebration. You won’t tend to see a yellow TT frame. Frames are built up pretty quickly. Bikes can be taped daily anyway. The lead team (hello Movistar) will have their own yellow helmets. And yellow tape for the final.

footflaps

There’s also supposedly the disadvantage of not wearing your tailormade hand sewn with latest aero tech skin suit in the TT if you’re unexpectedly in a leaders jersey.

I was thinking that.

“Hey, Ineos, can we have some of your yellow bar tape now you don’t need it lol”

I bet they have a couple of yellow frames at the back of the truck!

footflaps

Reminds me of this excellent Matt Stephens video

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Skinsuits for the jersey wearers have been custom made overnight for several years now. Chris Boardman was saying that they are no longer the disadvantage they once were.

Surprised to see Cav going full green already, I thought the done thing was team coloured shorts until Paris. Or did they have his skinsuit from yesterday washed and dried overnight?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Random TDF Q’ is closed to new replies.