Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Random Strava Followers
  • mccraque

Does anyone else have this? My account is locked down so is fairly private and you have to request to follow.

Of late, there seems to be a surge of kudos coming from people in Brazil, Hong Kong and other odd places. Other than a stroll along the Nathan Road, I’ve never done anything much in HK and never been to Brazil.

My sister is having similar issues. What’s the all about. And how do these guys even stumble across a pootle through a woods several thousand miles from their own homes?!

chambord
    Free Member

Maybe they are fishing for info about where people with expensive bikes live (If you haven’t turned on the option to hide your home)?

I only just started using it so can’t say I’ve had a similar experience.

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Usually find you through strava clubs you join, it’s for this reason I ditched a couple of clubs!

zilog6128

I’ve had a few people from far-flung countries try to follow me/give me kudos (including kudos for a very ordinary commute on one occasion!) which I’ve never been able to understand plus one local guy trying to drum up interest in a new cycling club!

jekkyl

I had a guy try to friend me who lived in Singapore, he was a fairly committed cyclist and was showing decent length routes every couple of days. I still declined his following request though.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

YOU ARE NOT ALONE!

Linky link – Strava Stalker

jonba
    Free Member

I occasionally get it. I don’t let anyone follow me who I don’t know.

As for kudos, I occasionally stalk people who ride in areas I’m interested in. If I am looking at a new area I’ll check segments and see who is the KOM and then see what rides they have in the area and use that a as a guide to exploring. Never bothered to give kudos though.

stumpy01

TheDoctor – Member

Usually find you through strava clubs you join, it’s for this reason I ditched a couple of clubs!

Yeah, I think it is mainly this.
    The only ‘club’ I joined was set up by a mate for his business. And there are two blokes in that club who I have never met that Kudos my rides within about 5 mins of me uploading them to Strava; even if it’s a local potter with the Wife…

dave32
    Free Member

I get lots from Donny Perry,doesn’t follow me but likes giving me kudos even on crap rides…think there out just to gain followers and brag about how many they have..

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I tried stalking Brant, to see where he tries out new frames etc. Turns out he is reallu dull and doesnt really use Strava much so ditched him 😆

I have privacy set so some one has to ask to add me.

deadkenny
    Free Member

While my account is public, I don’t get loads of random people following. Always people I know or know of. I don’t join big clubs with random people I don’t know though 😉

Something odd about bikes and people from far east. I’m on Google+ and on UK focused bike groups and there the majority of people who follow me are bike people from the far east.

We get that a bit with Facebook bike groups as well. Specific groups focused on a local area and people request to join from Russia and far east. Though usually there’s some hot babe in the profile.

I set privacy zones for house etc on Strava though not often I ride/track from home anyway. I also have removed the names of my bikes. Just generic ‘bike1’, ‘bike2’ kind of stuff now.

dave32
    Free Member

When you turn privacy on does it put the privacy zone onto old rides?

mrchrispy

I had a couple from local Manchester types and both looked like grade A toe rags (yoofs throwing gangsta shapes) and didnt have any rides logged, fishing for bikes i reckon.

deadkenny
    Free Member

ave32 – Member
    When you turn privacy on does it put the privacy zone onto old rides?

Yes, and you can set multiple privacy zones. The zone size can’t be set but you can put a whole load around your house or area to make it bigger, plus you can exclude other places like a friend’s house etc.

Or you can just mark certain rides as private but then you have to go back and do that.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I share the name of a local pro, people think he is having a weird off season and follow me….

Susie
    Free Member

My partner is in the road cc group and gets kudos from other countries (Hong Kong, USA, Thailand and others). I’m not in any groups and don’t get any other than from people I’ve accepted as followers.

dave32
    Free Member

Cheers deadkenny

joshvegas
    Free Member

I struggle to show interest in my own strava let alone anyone elses!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Random Strava Followers’ is closed to new replies.