• This topic has 14 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • random question. Why does a heartbeat sound like it has an echo
  • weeksy

My 12 year old and his mate are discussing heartbeats..

My lad thinks they go bum-bum-bum-bum

his mate thinks it’s

bumbum-bumbum-bumbum-bumbum.

Why does it sound like it’s an echo/second heartbeat….

BTW i don’t think either of them actually have an issue, just a perception thing, but i can’t find a google explanation.

big_scot_nanny

One bum is the atria contracting, the other is the ventricle

https://www.heart.org/en/health-topics/congenital-heart-defects/about-congenital-heart-defects/how-the-healthy-heart-works

blood arrives in heart in the atria, they squeeze blood into the ventricles, ventricles then squeeze blood to either lungs, or around the whole body.

pretty awesome really

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’d hazard a guess that one beat is the two sections of the heart that deal with the blood vessel loop to/from the lungs and the other beat is the two heart sections that loop around the rest of our body.

jca

It’s because it is an echo…your son and his friend are hollow…

weeksy

your son and his friend are hollow…

The way they eat sometimes makes me think they have hollow legs yeah 😀

fadda

Lub-dub, as I was taught in school (long, long ago)
    As above, two separate contractions, doing two separate pumping tasks.

meikle_partans
    Free Member

And the correct scientific nomenclature is not bumbum it’s lub dub!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Why does this remind me of a joke about 3 doctors and a hippo farting under water?

notmyrealname
    Free Member

The lub dub sound is a result of the heart valves closing.

It’s explained fairly well here

qwerty
    Free Member

The sounds of the heartbeat comes primarily from blood turbulence caused by closing of the heart valves.

During the cardiac cycle, four heart sounds are generated. In a normal heart, however, only the first two are loud enough to be heard by listening through a stethoscope.

The first sound = “lubb” is a bit louder and longer than the second sound, and is the sound created by the blood turbulance associated with the closure of the atrioventricular valves.

The second sound = “dupp” is shorter and not as loud as the first sound, and is the sound created by the blood turbulance associated with the closure of the semilunar valves.

lubb, dupp, pause & repeat……

Principles of anatomy & physiology, Tortora & Grabowski

DickBarton

Just tell them they are hearing the echo as they are listening with their ears which are connected to their head, but as they are young, their head isn’t full of useful stuff yet so it creates an echo…when they get older, they won’t hear the echo as they will be intelligent and have their head full of interesting knowledge.

(That will not be believed but it is the sort of mince I would have been told by my grandparents if I’d asked them this kind of question)

DezB
    Free Member

Wait til you’re in AF, then you don’t get no boring bumbum-bumbum-bumbum-bumbum
    More like b-bu-b-b-b-bum-bum—bum-b-bu-bu-b——(Am I dead?!)-bum-b- etc. Much more interesting 😛

(Coincidentally, it was on a weeksy arranged STW ride at Swinley that mine first made itself known! I nearly died 😀 )

nbt

As above, for a human heart, it’s the sound of the valves ineach chanber opening / closing in sequence

there’s a fan theory (disproven, but nice) that the Doctor Who theme is based on the dual hearts of the timelord

weeksy

(Coincidentally, it was on a weeksy arranged STW ride at Swinley that mine first made itself known! I nearly died 😀 )

I didn’t think i was that quick !

DezB
    Free Member

I didn’t think i was that quick !

You arranged it, but didn’t turn up that day 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘random question. Why does a heartbeat sound like it has an echo’ is closed to new replies.