• This topic has 48 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by mefty.
Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Random q: saltmarshes and grazing
  • mefty
    Free Member

you’ve lost me, what have red trousers got to do with anything?

The clientele of Robinson’s are quite partial to them.

cinnamon_girl

Oh dear, they won’t serve me then! Where do you go for meat?

jambalaya
    Free Member

So there is no excuse.

I’m not looking for one 8)

@welsh “liked” that page !

If the Red Trouser Brigade keep open a real local butcher they should be saluted for that. My parents don’t shop there as it’s too expensive.

mefty
    Free Member

The outlet shop of this outfit in Appleshaw when I am around, which sadly is not often these days.

mefty
    Free Member

Oh dear, they won’t serve me then!

I am sure they would, the people who work there are charming, they just appeal to people who not only just must have their meat for their dinner party, also have to make sure everyone else knows about it.

irc

If I may drift a short distance OT, is their such a thing as machair-raised lanb or mutton? Thanks.

Not sure about Machair specifically but my mum who was raised on the island used to make a point of buying lamb from Lewis.

The sheep and lambs there are on either the machair or the moors. It tasted great.

Can’t tell you which butcher she got it from but there is a couple in Stornoway and google found this place which does mail order mutton.

http://www.hebrideanmutton.co.uk/hebrideanmutton.html

The other Lewis or rather Ness delicacy she used to get was the guga.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I am sure they would, the people who work there are charming, they just appeal to people who not only just must have their meat for their dinner party, also have to make sure everyone else knows about it.

My parents don’t shop there as it’s too expensive.

We appear to have a very different experience of the place. I shop there because they have excellent meat (And cheese, actually!). I’m willing to pay more for good meat, in the same way that I use the local greengrocer for veg. Better stuff costs more. See also, bikes.

Good things in being a bit more expensive SHOCKAH!

Anyway, back on to lamb, and two tales from my old butcher in London.
    1 – He would always try and have high quality Welsh lamb in season. It was always delicious. Lady came in, asked where the lamb was from. Butcher replied that it was from Wales, grazed on the green, green grass of home, etc. Lady asked if he had any French lamb instead. Butcher replied, “I think madam should try Tesco”. WIN!

2 – He also had some seasonal lamb from the Romney Marsh area when he could get it. And it was, to put it mildly, astonishing. Stunning stuff, a really delicate salted flavour to it. Brilliant.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

irc – thanks, bookmarked: over for this year.

mefty
    Free Member

We appear to have a very different experience of the place. I shop there because they have excellent meat (And cheese, actually!). I’m willing to pay more for good meat, in the same way that I use the local greengrocer for veg.

To be fair, I have probably been slightly hasty in reaching a conclusion as my family have only frequented the place for 45 years, I should probably wait a couple of generations. In the interim, I am intrigued in how you can tell the difference between the meat there and that at other local butchers who use the same sources.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Random q: saltmarshes and grazing’ is closed to new replies.