Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 225 total)
  • Random observaation, Scottish identity
  • Spin
    Free Member

I think they are trying to promote the language, and perhaps encourage more people to speak it.

Like I said, an agenda.

Interesting what you say about lots of Welsh people having had some exposure, for most lowland Scots Gaelic is centuries and hundreds of miles away. It’s flogging a dead horse, spend the money on summint else.

molgrips
    Free Member

How do the Lowland (for want of a better word.. should I say something else?) Scots think of the Highlands? Does it feel as much a part of their country as anywhere else? What about the Islands? How do the different parts of the country relate to each other?

igm

In antiquity as I recall, lowland Scots would have spoken Welsh as they were ethnically British like the Welsh. (Useless fact – the only character from the Arthurian legends known to have existed is Merlin a Welsh speaking lowland Scottish monk from near Dumfries, added to the tales by a Frenchman who re-wrote them – fact. Period.)
    More recently they spoke Scots. Arguments have raged about whether this is s language or an English dialect.
    My view? Don’t get into an argument about it in Glasgow on a damp Tuesday night.
    The highland clearances of course brought a fair Gaelic speaking population into the big west coast lowland urban areas – by which I mean Glasgow and it’s surrounds – so there is some Gaelic for that reason.

And the vikings brought some language too – Brodick on Arran for example (Broad Bay but you probably knew that). So I suppose that needs both a Gaelic name and an English/Scots/Welsh one in addition to its actual one.

Daft.

Spin
    Free Member

How do the Lowland (for want of a better word.. should I say something else?)

I think that’s the right terminology.

I also think Scotland is pretty cohesive. Glaswegians can generally relate to islanders and islanders definitely feel part of Scotland. People from Edinburgh are arseholes though. 😉

seosamh77
    Free Member

Some people do have the connection, but for various reasons the connection was lost.

I can personally relate to it somewhat, my own grand parents spoke it, was native to them, Ulster Gaeilge (which, I’m lead to believe, is closer to Gaidhlig than it is to other forms on Ireland). This imo is because there’s a massive shared history between the north of Ireland and Scotland going back millennia.

In regards to my Grandparents, by the time I came along they’d completely turned to English(even by the time my Father came along, which I’ll describe below). I never actually heard them speaking it in the 20 odd years I knew them. I can only speculate as to why that is…

My impression is that, in Donegal the families were completely bi-lingual(I’d guess that happened sometime in the 18th/19th century). I’ve found census record for both families going back to the 1901/1911 Irish census(searchable online if anyone is interested. http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/ it’s all free). It’s interesting, seeing people you know on a 1901 census! We also actually still own the land my grannies family come form in Donegal. Nearly lost it due to time, but my Da claimed it all legally ad paid the dues, just bits and pieces here and there, not worth anything bar the connection, I’m rambling!

In the context of my own grandparents, my granny I know moved back and forth between Scotland and Ireland in her earlier years (she was born in 1928) I think she went up north somewhere for school, before ending up in Glasgow. My Granda I know came over here in the 40s to go fishing in Aberdeen, he was born in 1922(actually interesting, My da’s still got his first passport allowing him to come over here and work during the war, I just didn’t make a connection he’d have needed one, was a bit of a surprise when I found that).

So they’ve both been very young and Glasgow around that time would have been majorly English speaking. Pockets of Irish would still have been about, large scale Irish immigration to Glasgow/Scotland/Britain really started after the famine(Glasgow took the most post famine as far as I knwo), but there’s been plenty of subsequent flows since, largely down to economic necessity. Anyway they ended up in the Gorbals, so I guess they just went with the flow language wise because they came over so young.

So by the time my Da came along in 1953 the established dominant language would have been English in the family home and at School and among friends. I’d also guess in the context of a poor working class family living in Scotland, the parents perhaps wouldn’t have recognised the benefit in teaching him Irish. Even though my Da travelled back and forth to Donegal a lot in his youth, spending summers there and stuff, and worked there for a number of years too in his 20s. He still didn’t learn it.

English is the dominant language even in Donegal. But IMO, the English language take over there is much later, early 19th/around the turn of the 20th century going by my own personal census records, they’d have been typical of Donegal natives as far as i know. Irish still exists fairly strongly as it has been promoted in schools for years, and because the history of it still exists in the generational memory going back not too far. The change could well be earlier than my assertions though, happy to be schooled by any Donegal natives on that(I have no particular strong connection to Donegal, few distant cousins around letterkenny but that’s about it.)

tbh I don’t really know the relevancy in all that, just a one example of how the language did actually die in practice within a family unit, that I thought might be interesting..

As to the wider question of Gaelic on the British isles, it’s history is much wider than a lot of people generally know, imo. Molgrips is along the right lines. In Scotland the Picts and various British/English/Welsh Celtic tribes, spoke a more welsh style of Gaelic. I think around 800 or so, the scots came over from Ireland and merged/dominated the local Picts. By all accounts it wasn’t a massacre, more a merging of Kingdoms, but the Scots(Irish) culture dominated. MacBeth is actually very important in that history if I remember right (there’s also heavy Viking influence in the islands of Scotland. Form the Northern islands, right into the Clyde and the Western and Southern islands, as well as in Ireland too). From then only you’d had various other language developments in England(I’ll leave that outline to someone else!), which starts to push up, both naturally and forcefully, which push the Gaelic languages into the periphery of Scotland, into Wales, and there’s a push back in Ireland too(the latter probably much later and slower).

By the time you get to the 13/14/1500’s English is starting to become the dominant language on the island. (It’s around this time, I think a lot of Scots begin to forget the shared gaelic history with Ireland/England and Wales. Not just the Scots, I’d guess that applies to the British population in general around that time).

Anyway, that’s a fairly simplistic view and you can get much more local within Scotland and England etc(Scots, and Doric histories for example), but you’ll need to do your own research there. Magnus Magnusons book is very good(well half if it is, I only got up to around the 11/12/1300s and I would need to re-read it again anyway) But the above is my general view, and I think it rings fairly true as a quick overview. As ever though, I’m open to other opinions, and pliable with my own.

Magnus Magnussons book if anyone is interested:

Spin
    Free Member

And the vikings brought some language too –

Dingwall in the Highlands is viking in origin meaning meeting place of the assembly or some such. Gaelic though is Inbhir Pheofharain. Never heard anyone actually call it that.

tjagain

Molgrips – its fairly much thought of as one country. Soapdodgers in Glasgow but even with the weegies we think of them as the same country. surprising amount of lowlanders have never been north tho

seosamh77
    Free Member

However i know BBC Alba exists but that is the only evidence i am aware of. So do Scots regard Gaelic as part of their identity, and their heritage so why no attempt to teach more broadly?

To answer this question above, I’m forever told I’m Scottish(even though I put no stock in nationality, largly because I identify with a smaller area that straddles countries) if I try to relate to what I’ve just written(this is another aspect of recent Scottish history(early 1900s onwards), that I’ll not go into too much, as it’ll derail the thread, but I do need to comment a little).

No, as a “Scots” man, I don’t see Gaidhlig as part of my identity, the Scots side of my family are all lowlanders on my mothers side, and even the majority of those lines go back to Ireland, Ulster again largely around Antrim this time, but those moves happened much further back in time.(My mum did a family tree years ago which is fairly extensive).

So, I’d view my historical heritage as Gaeilge/English(Scots largely, but I largely view Scots as an English dialect.)

Problem there, is Scotland does’t recognise it’s Irish history, so how can they seriously begin to address the question of Gaelic, when they don’t even recognise the largest group of peoples history that have the closest connection to Gaelic?

IMO, if you are putting Gaelic bilingual signs up in Glasgow, they should be in Irish/English.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I guess my thoughts above, show a small part of the difficulties in trying to define a nation. (Alot of Scots won’t even recognise the point of view, as I’m sure I’ll have difficulty in recognising other unique views and the shades in between..)

molgrips
    Free Member

And the vikings brought some language too

It’s all around the coast of Britain. Two islands in the Bristol Channel called Flat Holm and Steep Holm. Holm is modern Swedish for small island.

In regards to my Grandparents, by the time I came along they’d completely turned to English

My Nan’s parents were native Welsh valleys people rather than industrial incomers, they were native Welsh speakers. But they didn’t teach Welsh to their own daughter. Back then the dominant thinking was that trying to teach two languages to kids would confuse them and slow their educational development. Now we know that it can slow them down a bit at first but later on it is actually beneficial.

In the 30s you’d get punished for speaking Welsh in school, and made to stand in the corner with a knotted rope around your neck – the Welsh Knot. However, even though the English had actively tried to stamp it out in Tudor times, in the 30s they were just trying to improve the kids’ prospects.

scotroutes

There’s a pretty good history of Scots Gaelic here – including how it was the Vikings that were responsible for spreading it south, and how it fell into decline.

https://cranntara.scot/gaelic.htm

FWIW, my Hebridean wife didn’t speak English until she started school.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s around this time, I think a lot of Scots begin to forget the shared gaelic history with Ireland/England and Wales

Good post but I’ll just correct you on this. There are two linguistic groups of British Celts – Goedels and Brythons. Gaelic is Goedelic and Welsh/Cornish/Breton is Brythonic. So whilst Welsh is pretty different to Gaelic although related, Breton is mutually intelligible to a Welsh speaker. I’m told.. I can’t pick any words out as a learner mind. So the Welsh are Celtic (for whatever that means) but not Gaelic.

jimjam
    Free Member

seosamh77

English is the dominant language even in Donegal. But IMO, the English language take over there is much later, early 19th/around the turn of the 20th century going by my own personal census records, they’d have been typical of Donegal natives as far as I know. Irish still exists fairly strongly as it has been promoted in schools for years, and because the history of it still exists in the generational memory going back not too far. The change could well be earlier than my assertions though, happy to be schooled by any Donegal natives on that(I have no particular strong connection to Donegal, few distant cousins around letterkenny but that’s about it.)

Nope. It’s much more complicated than that. In Donegal there was a concerted effort to eradicate the Irish language and effectively anglicise the native population from the plantation of Ulster c 1609 onward (same with all of Ulster). There was a revival of Irish language and culture throughout Ireland in the mid 1800s ultimately leading to the Easter Rising and independence. The Irish language was only really brought back into daily use again after the establishment of the Republic .

In Donegal the Irish language only really survived in the west of the county, particularly around the coast. East Donegal still has the highest concentration of protestants to be found in rural Ireland, many of whom still speak something of an Ulster Scots dialect.

mefty
    Free Member

My father-in-law is a Shetlander, he has very little affinity with the Scots despite living there. Associates himself much more with the Norwegians, wouldn’t dream of wearing a kilt. In Aberdeenshire, where they have lived for years, some of the old locals still speak Doric as noted above – is that a dialect of Scots, are both dialects of English, or are they all languages? Foos yer doos

molgrips
    Free Member

Associates himself much more with the Norwegians,

Without wishing to sound too personal – how do Shetlanders associate? Do they keep up with what happens there, do people visit Norway or Norwegians visit Shetland? Not accusatory, just interested.

seosamh77
    Free Member

jimjam – Member
    seosamh77
    English is the dominant language even in Donegal. But IMO, the English language take over there is much later, early 19th/around the turn of the 20th century going by my own personal census records, they’d have been typical of Donegal natives as far as I know. Irish still exists fairly strongly as it has been promoted in schools for years, and because the history of it still exists in the generational memory going back not too far. The change could well be earlier than my assertions though, happy to be schooled by any Donegal natives on that(I have no particular strong connection to Donegal, few distant cousins around letterkenny but that’s about it.)

Nope. It’s much more complicated than that. In Donegal there was a concerted effort to eradicate the Irish language and effectively anglicise the native population from the plantation of Ulster c 1609 onward (same with all of Ulster). There was a revival of Irish language and culture throughout Ireland in the mid 1800s ultimately leading to the Easter Rising and independence. The Irish language was only really brought back into daily use again after the establishment of the Republic .

In Donegal the Irish language only really survived in the west of the county, particularly around the coast. East Donegal still has the highest concentration of protestants to be found in rural Ireland, many of whom still speak something of an Ulster Scots dialect.

Ta, as I said, happen to be schooled, I’m aware there will be massive gaps in my perceptions in relation to donegal. In reality, my largest core identity is as a Glaswegian/Ruglonian. But Aye, it’s the Rosses my grandparent come from, the gaeltacht, anagary and rosapena/downings to be exact, so aware it’s just the west it really stuck.

Do you know of any Donegal history books? I’d love to get a hold of one specifically about the west.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

surprising amount of lowlanders have never been north tho

Very. I’ve a few colleagues at work who are Jockanese (racist!!)
    One lass is from Greenock & asked ME where the best places were to visit in the Highlands!

mefty
    Free Member

UP Helly aa, but Bergen is as close as Aberdeen on the ferry.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Fascinating discussion.

Have been to the Celtic Music Festival in Lorient in Brittany (the road signs in Brittany are in both French and Breton) close links to Cornwall, Wales, Ireland and Scotland – basically all accessible by boat so you can understand the movements and cultural ties. As I understand it Gaelic is one of the Celtic languages

seosamh77
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    It’s around this time, I think a lot of Scots begin to forget the shared gaelic history with Ireland/England and Wales
    Good post but I’ll just correct you on this. There are two linguistic groups of British Celts – Goedels and Brythons. Gaelic is Goedelic and Welsh/Cornish/Breton is Brythonic. So whilst Welsh is pretty different to Gaelic although related, Breton is mutually intelligible to a Welsh speaker. I’m told.. I can’t pick any words out as a learner mind. So the Welsh are Celtic (for whatever that means) but not Gaelic.

Cheers, aye there’s many gaps there, so any more please correct.

Aye, Celtic to me means the ancient British isles, the archipelago. It’s a catch all for the tribal culture that stretches back on these islands to pre roman times.

But it’s an even wider term than that, and is the lose connection of related tribal cultures that covered the Baltics to Spain to Donegal and the vast history that includes.. (Celtic is strong in relation to the British isles, because that’s the direction the Romans pushed the ancient Celtic cultures back to.)

Celtic is a term that has a few meaning depending on how you look at things in the timeline of European History, going back thousands of years.

Northwind

David Mitchell’s thing is pretty good except from the “nationalist politicians”- the SNP don’t give that much of a shit about gaelic, a lot of gaelic advocates consider it basically a betrayal. The previous lab/lib administration was much more into it, launching dual language roadsigns and spending more. (depending on who you ask, the government spending on gaelic may be a revenue generator- tourism and job creation)

Not fussed, it’s not my language. Though I did used to love that gaelic DIY show where all of the technical words were in english. “Failte! Dè a’ phrìs tha seo Damp Proof Coursing? Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein loma-làn easgannan”

jimjam
    Free Member

Do you know of any Donegal history books? I’d love to get a hold of one specifically about the west.

I can’t say that I do to be honest. I just know what I know on account of being a native. If I was buying I would be looking for books dealing with the plantation, the flight of the earls, O’ Doherty’s rebellion and maybe the famine. Perhaps the Boundry Commission. Those would be the main events that shaped the county that I can think of off the top of my head.

tjagain

My favourite Gaelic thing is the rugby on alba – with gaelic commentary from Hugh Dan the man – who has become a cult figure in Scottish rugby for his wonderful excited but incomprehensible commentry

seosamh77
    Free Member

jimjam – Member
    I can’t say that I do to be honest. I just know what I know on account of being a native. If I was buying I would be looking for books dealing with the plantation, the flight of the earls, O’ Doherty’s rebellion and maybe the famine. Perhaps the Boundry Commission. Those would be the main events that shaped the county that I can think of off the top of my head.

Cheers, i’ll have a look into those.

tjagain

Part of my family comes from Cornwall. We share a name common in Cornwall with people in Brittany and northern Spain. Its a rare name outside of these places

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Forget trying to learn Gaelic, just get your heads around pronouncing

Milngavie
    Leuchars
    Kirkaldy
    Etc

who needs the complication of another language?

seosamh77
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    So the Welsh are Celtic but not Gaelic

btw, I’d never even thought of it that way, guess it makes sense to what I’ve written above actually, with the Scots(Irish) take over of Scotland seeing the end of welsh style language in Scotland(Which I think the pictish language, was closer to? Again happy to be corrected there). And it ties in with the term Celtic, not being one homogeneous society. As I say, it’s just a term for a collection of ancient tribal cultures(that until the 4/5th centuries were largley oral in their traditions. Which is why I think it’s difficult to define Celts, when they didn’t write anything down for thousands of years, and would have had many languages and customs the length and breadth of Europe.)

CraigW
    Free Member

Forget trying to learn Gaelic, just get your heads around pronouncing

Milngavie
    Leuchars
    Kirkaldy
    Etc

who needs the complication of another language?
    Which are probably all derived from Gaelic. Who said Gaelic was never spoken in the ‘Lowlands’?

gordimhor

a dhol a Lunnainn airson a reic do na h-easgannan
    You might get a better price for your eels there Northwind

I’m from Ayr with family ties to Islay and I very much feel that Gaelic is part of my identity. This is partly because Gaelic of a kind was widely spoken throughout south west Scotland for hundreds of years. The Gaelic spoken there was as others have said close to welsh, the Gaelic name for Galloway is Gal-gael meaning the stranger gaels.
    As for roadsigns I believe the budget for that is 2 million and they are put uponly when existing ones need to be replaced.
    It’s very common for any language to borrow words from another language or to construct new words when there’s no existing word for something.

CountZero

Unlike in Wales its only spoken by a tiny % of the population and never in the lowlands ( is that true – help me out more knowledgeable folk) It seems pointless to spend time money and effort on promoting Gaelic when learning a european language would be much more useful

Aye, Celtic to me means ancient British isles, the archipelago. It’s a catch all for the tribal cultre that that stretches back on these islands to pre roman times. But it’s it’s an even wider term than that, and is the lose connection of tribal culture that cover the Baltics to Donegal and the vast history that includes..

Celtic is a term that has a few meaning depending on how you look at things in the timeline of Europe going back thousands of years.
    There you go, Gaelic/Celtic are European, pretty much by definition, or by European do you mean the modern version of trying to subsume minority cultures into one characterless, heterogeneous, bland monoculture.
    One little fact I picked up that I find fascinating is that in the Ukraine, the princes of the Rus, or Russians, were Vikings.
    As were the Normans, who, on killing Harold in 1066, were getting their own back for getting their asses kicked by King Alfred the Great at Eddington in Wiltshire.
    Such a rich and mixed up history, is European history. 😀

seosamh77
    Free Member

celtic culture, is synonymous with the movement of people since time begin, it’s just the end part of one branch in the flow out of Africa. By it’s very definition in that, it’s very changeable and wide ranging.

I’d love to know more about.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Real Scots will be full of haggis neeps and tatties and pissed tonight not debating on the internet.

Its Burns Night FFS 😉

tjagain

craigw

Milngavie is from Gavins mill so certainly not gaelic. the others don’t look like gaelic either

seosamh77
    Free Member

The apparent mismatch between the town’s written and pronounced names stems from the way its Gaelic name was adapted into English. The Gaelic name for the town is conjectured to have been Muileann Dhaibhidh (Scottish Gaelic pronunciation: [?mulan?? ??aivi];[4] “David’s mill”[5][6]), with Daibhidh shortened to Dàidh in common speech,[7] yielding Muileann Dhàidh ([?mulan?? ??ai]). The former may thus account for the spelling “-gavie”, the latter for the pronunciation “-guy”. The stress placement is Gaelic, too, but the first part of the name may have been influenced by its Scots/English counterpart[8] in both pronunciation and spelling, not just reduced; cf. Kirkcudbright.

I’d guess the origins go back to king david?

gordimhor

Spelling mistake the Gaelic for Galloway is Gal-Ghaidheal meaning “stranger gaels

tjagain

seosamh77

thats intersting – the local history has it as a simple corruption from the scots of Gavins Mill. (As I remeber) Mill of Gavin. milngavie I used to live there.

GrahamS

Worryingly so did I TJ.
    (Went to Craigdhu Primary and then Douglas Academy growing up, left around 1992 I think)

tjagain

Actually I lived outside of MIlngavie ( but use to go there all the time) and left in 79. My parents live right in Milngavie now.

tjagain

seosamh77

“An alternative suggestion is that the original translation meant “Gavin’s Mill”, and indeed Gavin’s Mill remains in the town centre to this day”

From what appears to be the same Wiki source you used

“Gavin’s Mill The mill’s significance is such that were
    it not for some alterations to the fabric it would be A, rather than B listed.
    Briefly: it lies at the root of Milngavie’s identity,not only through the derivation of “Milngavie”

http://www.milngavieheritage.org/Heritage_Context.pdf

The first reference to a settlement named “Milguy” appeared on a map of 1654. The origin
    of the name of Milngavie is unclear.
    The “Miln” is undoubtedly a reference to the town’s mill
    on the Allander Water, but agreement has yet to be reached on the latter part of the name(should it be ‘Gavin’ or ‘Davie’?).
    We shall probably never know the true derivation but it
    makes for a fascinating talking point.

http://www.keepscotlandbeautiful.org/media/823609/Milngavie-in-Bloom-2015.pdf

seosamh77
    Free Member

tjagain – Member
    seosamh77

“An alternative suggestion is that the original translation meant “Gavin’s Mill”, and indeed Gavin’s Mill remains in the town centre to this day”
    From what appears to be the same Wiki source you usedyes, tbh I couldn’t tell you which is correct, just putting the alternative view up there for discussion that maybe someone esle could confirm.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 225 total)

The topic ‘Random observaation, Scottish identity’ is closed to new replies.