Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Random chain slip/jump issues??
  • renton
    Free Member

Ive recently rebuilt my bike and have rode it a few times since and I am having a problem with the chain.

Basically without warning it will jump or slip, not doing it under load and not necessarily happening over rough ground as it happens on the road too.

Its not constant though and only happens really quickly and quite randomly

Any ideas what would be causing it??

cheers

Steve

jekkyl

Could be any manner of things, ime it’s normally down to a worn cassette and/or a worn chain. As soon as mine starts skipping I know it’s time to get a new one. But could also be a worn chain ring, a bent mech hanger, a tight or stiff chain link and perhaps a missing or bent tooth on one of the chain rings.
    Have you recently replaced anything on the drive chain?

JoeG
    Free Member

It could also be the freehub slipping due to worn springs, pawls, teeth, or similar.

jam-bo

Stiff link.

renton
    Free Member

Nah not changed anything on the drivetrain, if anything I have give everything a really good clean.

If I had put the chain on the wrong way round from last time it was on the bike would that do it??

Or would running a 9 speed sram powerlink on a 10 speed chain cause it?

jekkyl

in what situations and how is your bike when it’s doing it?

only in middle ring for example or in one of the higher gears (smaller cogs) at the back?

renton
    Free Member

middle ring at front and bottom 4 cogs at back and it happens at any time without warning?

not even under load?

jekkyl

If it only happens when in the middle ring there’s your answer. Middle rings can be very cheap to replace and take less than 20 mins to fit.

billyboy
    Free Member

A cracked frame can also do that!

renton
    Free Member

Frame deffo isnt cracked !!

pipiom
    Free Member

I had the same…..one link joint was virtually locked….two pair of pliers, loads of lube and sorted…took a while to find it mind

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Random chain slip/jump issues??’ is closed to new replies.