Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 91 total)
  • Random Access Memories
  • binners

They’re on 6 Music with La La now

Started with some Chic. Which can only ever be a good thing. The volumes just been cranked right up here

codybrennan
    Free Member

Can’t go wrong with Chic, Binners. Whoever plays bass on “Get Lucky” is channeling the ghost of Bernard.

There’s a fair old Earth Wind and Fire influence on some tracks too.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Just downloaded this album now. It’s glorious from start to finish.

mactheknife

thank God, someone else who loves this. 🙂

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

😀

jekkyl

If you do it right
    letting go all night
    shadows on you
    break out into the light…

getting obsessed about this track, just wish the secondary vocal wasn’t as annoying.

jam-bo

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/5764ccf637/daft-punk-andrew-the-pizza-guy

on spotify now too so i’ll have a couple more listens.

jekkyl

I think the whole album needs to be remixed, harder and faster, taking out a lot of the shit bits and making the most of the great bits. I love the way moroder says ‘synthesizer’ for eg.

asherh
    Free Member

Another one who loves the album here… Just waiting for the CD to arrive so I can blast it out in the car!

Must admit it took me 5 or 6 listens on the iTunes stream through before the genius of certain tracks hit me, definitely a slow burner.

mactheknife

asherh – its one of those albums that’s best listened to in one go with no distractions IMO. There was an excellent review of it in the Guardian ( i know :-)) that went quite in depth about the background of the album.

Compared to the complete dross being pumped out at the moment i love experimentation. It can either work beautifully or fail on every level. For me this works so so well. 🙂

wrightyson
    Free Member

I got a message from spotify at lunch today telling me it was now available. Never had that before from spotify!

grievoustim
    Free Member

Well , I got it on vinyl today and …..

I think it’s glorious. Best sounding record I’ve heard in a long time. I’d listened a couple of times on the iTunes stream and wasn’t 100% before, but I’m completely sold now

Love it

(But then I do love disco, early 80s fm rock and the doobie brothers – if you are wanting a hard and fast dance album you need to look elsewhere )

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Popped into Rise in Brizzle today to pick up The National’s Trouble Will Find Me but read this thread while I was having a coffee. Was convinced to give it a try based on those who dislike it so much.

jekkyl

yeah I was after something you know..harder, overall a bit better, there are too many slow tracks (track 4 is awful) so something definately faster and this is a bit weak so stronger would also be good.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Get Lucky has put me off listening. However, this is all kinds of awesome:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXpn8thEGbE[/video]

grievoustim
    Free Member

Got Trouble Will Find Me too! Not listened to that yet though – the National are more suited to a late night listen

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It’s awesome grevioustim! 🙂

(Although, as it’s The National, it should be a 😐 )

somafunk

Seeing as a mate’s record label first brought Daft Punk to the masses back in 94/95 with “Da Funk” you’d expect me to sing the praises of it but i have to say i am seriously underwhelmed save for a couple of tracks, “lose yourself to dance” and “get lucky” which are aided by the voice of pharrell williams. It pains me to say the rest of the album leaves me shaking my head and hoping, just hoping that the coming remixes will be outstanding as i know a few folk who are working on them at the moment so fingers crossed they’ll be soundtracking my summer to come.

On a few of the tracks there is nice ear worms of funk and disco that only daft punk can carry off but then they don’t progress and develop the few snippets that grab your attention so it’s a big thumbs down from me, tiz’ a shame as i was so looking forward to it.

CountZero

Compared to the complete dross being pumped out at the moment i love experimentation. It can either work beautifully or fail on every level. For me this works so so well.

I don’t mind experimentation, or whatever, but there’s nothing experimental about this, it’s just Chic samples, or might as well be, mixed in with laptop generated, fairly predictable dance beats.
    For more experimental, I turn to The Knife, or Crystal Castles, recycled 80’s disco electro-funk is just so, well, 80’s.
    I’ve heard it all before, it didn’t excite me last time around.
    And the producer bloke gushing about it on 6 this morning was just so embarrassing! He really deserved the American pizza piss-take.

grievoustim
    Free Member

I don’t mind experimentation, or whatever, but there’s nothing experimental about this, it’s just Chic samples, or might as well be, mixed in with laptop generated, fairly predictable dance beats.

Nothing laptop generated about it – the album was recorded “live” using legendary session players

Not saying this means you have to suddenly start liking it mind

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Nothing laptop generated about it – the album was recorded “live” using legendary session players
    Not saying this means you have to suddenly start liking it mind

Oops.

😆

scratch
    Free Member

RIP Romanthony.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kN6Ix9lv_k[/video]

Mooly
    Free Member

Personally quite like the album. Its definitely going to grow very subtly. Probably a lot more depth as you repeat and zone in. However saying that – this is incredible.[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5Cp55MvX54&feature=player_embedded[/video]

madhouse

I really like the album. I agree it’s not like the Daft Punk of old but then I don’t want it to be, I’d rather they tried something new than tried to emulate what’s been done before, every album has it’s place in life and this one is finding its place in mine.

mactheknife

Instant crush – on a permanent loop here 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Was convinced to give it a try based on those who dislike it so much.

*waves*. 🙂

I’d rather they tried something new than tried to emulate what’s been done before

Yeah, me too. Me too. 😆

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Beats the shit out of LanaDelRey DezzieBee 😀

DezB
    Free Member

Lana Del-who 😉

Mooly
    Free Member

It’s just a total grower and requires you to not lazily expect Daft punk to churn out the same style of tunes. I personally think its great to see a group move away from what everyone expects and try something else. Stick with it doubters and eventually the light will go on. Giorgio is amazing.

DezB
    Free Member

Come on, if it wasn’t Daft Punk it wouldn’t have even got a release.
    Bland bland bland.

binners

It gets better and better with repeated listening.

The refreshing thing about it is that they’ve clearly recorded the album they really wanted too, the way they wanted to do it, despite taking years, and at enormous expense.

They’re happy with it, and they clearly couldn’t give a flying one what, you, me or anyone else thinks about it. A refreshingly French approach 😀

DezB
    Free Member

Repeated? I couldn’t even get through it the first time. Nah, there’s way too much interesting new stuff about to repeatedly listen to something boring and nostalgic until it works!
    (I keep posting cos I’m quite annoyed at how bad it is!)

binners

What? Don’t you like it?!!!

DezB
    Free Member

It’s BRILLIANT!

ocrider

Gave it another listen and have come to the conclusion that its a documentary rather than an album. If you were a young North American, into Skrillex, Crapmau5 an ting, then this would be the start point for discovering everything dance music before all that tosh. Otherwise its an interesting listen, but nowt amazing. I’ll be waiting to hear some remixes.

darrell
    Free Member

Heard it all before and it sounds like this album from the 90’s

Darkdancer

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

The production quality is so good it makes my ears bleed. 😛

jekkyl

I agree mr no eyes dear, the drums and and claps are so crisp and pure, and yes repeated listens brings rewards. It’s like a piece of art, one to be admired and repected, pondered and savoured. There’s a sense of what I can only describe as melancholy throughout the album, as a cohesive collection of tracks, yes that’s it, reflective melancholy but it’s not depressive.

ianv
    Free Member

I like it and love the moroder track. There seems to be a lot of jean Michel Jarre influence running through the album (in a really good way).

redsox
    Free Member

Having had another listen today I’m part way taking back what I said previously. While I’m not giving it genius status just yet, it does benefit from several listens.

Also I didn’t realise that it was a bit more “live” than usual Daft Punk stuff 😳

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘Random Access Memories’ is closed to new replies.