Ramadan Fasting

Home Forum Chat Forum Ramadan Fasting

Viewing 45 posts - 46 through 90 (of 146 total)
  • Ramadan Fasting
  • Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

neil the wheel – Member

A throwaway joke that actually strikes right at the heart of religion.
    You see, it proves that such texts are not the word of God, but the inventions of men who knew nothing of North Poles, equinoxes etc.

Not in the slightest. As I wrote up the page; God is allseeing, his prophets are but men. Taking minutes and data entry are no fun at all, hard enough if He keeps to the job in hand but if He stops and says “Oh, take a note Mohammed, this won’t make any sense to you but believe it or not, in 2000 years people will be living at the top of the world where it never gets dark! Mad eh? Anyway, this is what they should do in Ramadan…”, then you’re never going to get anything done.

loum

wwaswas – Member
    there was a Muslim officer on one of those police progs a while back who had to give up on a foot chase because it was Ramadan and he had no energy to keep running.

POSTED 3 HOURS AGO #

There was another officer too, who had to give up on a foot chase ‘cos he was so bloated from his midday bag of doughnuts.

edlong

50% useful, 50% presumptive twaddle.

Mark et al: I think we’ve inadvertently found a great strapline for the forum…

jekkyl

edlong – Member

50 10% useful, 50 90% presumptive twaddle.

Mark et al: I think we’ve inadvertently found a great strapline for the forum…

FTFY

edlong

Yeah, I thought the ratio might get reviewed….

Mr Woppit

Northwind: As I wrote up the page; God is allseeing

Bit like a creepy cosmic voyeur.

Do think about that next time you’re on the toilet or knocking out a quick one, won’t you?

gonzy

Ramadan is the ninth month of the Islamic calendar; Muslims worldwide observe this as a month of fasting. This annual observance is regarded as one of the Five Pillars of Islam. The month lasts 29–30 days based on the visual sightings of the crescent moon. Fasting is obligatory for adult Muslims, except those who are ill, travelling, pregnant, diabetic or going through menstrual bleeding.

While fasting from dawn until sunset, Muslims refrain from consuming food, drinking liquids, smoking, and engaging in sexual relations; in some interpretations they also refrain from swearing.

Ramadan is a time of spiritual reflection, improvement and increased devotion and worship. Muslims are expected to put more effort into following the teachings of Islam. The fast (sawm) begins at dawn and ends at sunset. In addition to abstaining from eating and drinking, Muslims also increase restraint, such as abstaining from sexual relations and generally sinful speech and behaviour.

The act of fasting is to redirect the heart away from worldly activities, its purpose being to cleanse the soul by freeing it from harmful impurities. Ramadan also teaches Muslims how to better practice self-discipline, self-control, sacrifice, and empathy for those who are less fortunate; thus encouraging actions of generosity and compulsory charity.

It becomes compulsory for Muslims to start fasting when they reach puberty, so long as they are healthy, sane and have no disabilities or illnesses. Many children endeavour to complete as many fasts as possible as practice for later life.

Exemptions to fasting are travel, menstruation, severe illness, pregnancy, and breast-feeding. However, many Muslims with medical conditions insist on fasting to satisfy their spiritual needs, although it’s not recommended by the hadith. Those who are unable to fast still must make up the days missed later.

Charity is very important in Islam, and even more so during Ramadan. Zak?t, often translated as “the poor-rate”, is obligatory as one of the pillars of Islam; a fixed percentage is required to be given to the poor of the person’s savings. Sadaqah is voluntary charity in given above and beyond what is required from the obligation of Zak?t. In Islam all good deeds are more handsomely rewarded in Ramadan than in any other month of the year. Consequently, many will choose this time to give a larger portion, if not all, of the Zak?t for which they are obligated to give. In addition, many will also use this time to give a larger portion of Sadaqah in order to maximize the reward that will await them at the Last Judgment.

In many Muslim countries, it is a common sight to see people giving more food to the poor and the homeless, and even to see large public areas for the poor to come and break their fast.

I’m a Muslim and am fasting….does it affect my day to day routine in the workplace?
    No, I still manage to function as normal…
    Does it stop me from doing the things I would normally do outside of work like ride the bike etc?
    No, I’m still getting the miles in where I can…I just go a bit slower and don’t take the camelbak with me…
    Do I get offended if people eat/drink in front of me?
    No, just because I can’t eat does not mean they should not…

Of course as the month progresses it becomes tougher physically and mentally but like many other Muslims, I’ve been conditioned from a young age to be able to do this…but what I tell myself is this…there are many people around the world for whom a typical day during Ramadan is an everyday occurrence…the hardship I suffer is nothing compared to what they go through…at least I have the benefit of a nice meal at the end of the day to look forward to…this is where the charity bit comes in as we are encouraged to do more for the less fortunate, the increased prayers during Ramadan also contribute towards this as we ask god for his forgiveness for any sins we have committed and for the suffering of the less fortunate are eased….this compassion is not just for other Muslims but for all people…you have to remember that Muslims are regarded as people of the book in the same way as Jews and Christians…we are taught to treat each human being as a fellow human and nothing less.

Obviously there are some tosspots in beards who distort and manipulate the teachings of the Quran so that it fits in with their own warped religious ideology….there are people who shame every religion…I mean just look at the priests who like to touch young boys for example…

Unfortunately there are some Muslims who do not observe the month of Ramadan or at least pretend to do so…there are also those who like to do things they’re not supposed to do…whatever they are doing wrong its not for any other Muslim to judge them by as they will have to answer for those actions once they’re in the grave…by no means am I a perfect Muslim…I’ve done some naughty things when I was younger but thankfully those days are behind me

I’ve never had a problem with explaining Ramadan to anyone who is curious about it and in order to maintain my spiritual state I will not allow myself to be dragged to the levels of the trolls on this thread…

Mr Woppit

Religion doesn’t need any help to look shameful.

Murray

Many thanks Gonzy for a sensible reply.

Religions are an effective way of changing people’s behaviour. Bad people use them to do bad things. Good people use them to do good. Sadly, the good don’t always run them.

Mr Woppit

I’ve been conditioned from a young age

There you go.

jekkyl

easy on Mr woppit, he gave a full & mature reply, no need to berate him for his choice. Thanks for your reply gonzy, it must be tough not being able to drink all day, I think if it was me and I was not allowed to drink anything, once my mouth became parched my mind would fixate and I would cave in, how do you manage?

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Exemptions to fasting are travel,

That may cover the North Pole thing eh?

Woppit – did you read Gonzy’s post? How exactly is this shameful?

but what I tell myself is this…there are many people around the world for whom a typical day during Ramadan is an everyday occurrence…the hardship I suffer is nothing compared to what they go through

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

I will not allow myself to be dragged to the levels of the trolls on this thread…

Won’t stop them trying though.

Woppit, rein it in for once, hey? You might not agree with religion – I don’t either – but that doesn’t mean we can’t have an interesting discussion about it.

gonzy

I’ve been conditioned from a young age
    There you go.

maybe i should have been a bit clearer in this bit…the 5 pillars of islam consist of:

1. Shahadah: sincerely reciting the Muslim profession of faith
    2. Salat: performing ritual prayers in the proper way five times each day
    3. Zakat: paying an alms (or charity) tax to benefit the poor and the needy
    4. Sawm: fasting during the month of Ramadan
    5. Hajj: pilgrimage to Mecca

the shahada is the first thing i heard when i was born, as every born muslim is read the call to prayer which contains the shahada…as a born muslim i am therefore gong to follow in the footsteps of my parents…you would do the same if your parents practiced their religious belief…
    whilst growing up i was also taught how to perform the salat…i am a long way off from saying that i know and understand all aspects of this but one day i’ll get there…
    i never did the zakat thing as a child as i did not have an income, but i’ve always been encouraged to compensate for this with charitable acts…
    the fasting bit was the bit i always wanted to do ever since i was in primary school…i saw my family do it every year and i wanted to have a go…my parents refused to let me fast but every now and then they would let me do a couple of hours on a weekend…as i got older they would extend the time…i was 10 when i kept my first fast, but i was about 12 when i started to fast regularly…this is where the conditioning comes into play…you start early and soon you get used to it
    as for the Hajj…pilgrimage is something i will be looking to do with the wife and kids when they are old enough…

Religion doesn’t need any help to look shameful.

neither do you…..

AdamW

Mate of mine answered some questions I had about musliming.

If you’e in the Arctic circle then for Ramadan you take the nearest Muslim area (like if you’re near Norway a mosque there).

Apparently if you’re in Mecca you pray pointing towards your own temple or group.

Mr Woppit

neither do you…..

Bit personal. I thought you were supposed to be getting all perfect and holy and that? I expect you’ll just forgive me though.

As we’re conversing (and whilst I’m “winding it in”) – here’s a couple of things that’ll inform you as to why your piety is not universally welcome, without me going over the whole tedious thing yet again and besides, much more eloquently than I have time for:

From the late, great Hitch –

And a resource from your own neck of the woods, lest you think it’s just nasty western atheists having a go:

Home

Enjoy, and have a happy ramadan. 8)

gonzy

I think if it was me and I was not allowed to drink anything, once my mouth became parched my mind would fixate and I would cave in, how do you manage?

its not easy but with practice from an early age it becomes manageable…that’s what i mean about the conditioning…kind of like the same way a karate expert conditions them self to be able to punch through bricks without breaking their hand…
    food and water are banned and also any saliva that builds in the mouth cannot be swallowed…you also have to keep your mind pure so no bad thoughts or words should be used…
    there are other variables that can make it more difficult…i’m a smoker so on the odd occasion i start to rattle…but this is part of the test that i have to overcome…

gonzy

Bit personal

no it wasnt….i’m not the only one who noticed that your comments were verging on islamophobia…and they were in response to what i had written so i think i have a right to give you a mild telling off for what i saw as shameful behaviour from you….

I thought you were supposed to be getting all perfect and holy and that? I expect you’ll just forgive me though.

i never said i was perfect nor am i 100% pious…nobody is…but i’m trying to get as close to that as i possibly can…and yes you’re forgiven….

as for your link…i’ll have a look at that either tonight or tomorrow…gotta leave the office now

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash
    Subscriber

I have the greatest respect for any Muslim who can fast properly through Ramadan – I know one of my colleagues will be very tetchy in a couple of weeks time!

I have no religion of my own, but I’m prepared to admire the efforts that some people put into theirs

TuckerUK

Religions are an effective way of changing people’s behaviour.

Of course, that’s why we invented them.

wrecker

gonzy, do you properly gorge yourself in the evenings?
    I wouldn’t go to bed. Just get some fried chickan and eat and eat and eat. It’s beyond me, I’m rubbish if I have to skip breakfast!

Junkyard

Woppit, rein it in for once, hey?

Well he tried …sort of …he is certainly trying

lest you think it’s just nasty western atheists having a go:

No one could accuse you of that

There is nothing wrong with your message but you present it in the style of a hate preacher for atheism.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Mr Woppit – Member

Bit like a creepy cosmic voyeur.

Do think about that next time you’re on the toilet or knocking out a quick one, won’t you?

I do! Gives it an extra thrill.

But also- why assume that everyone that is tolerant of, or knows anything about, religion must be religious?

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

i’m not the only one who noticed that your comments were verging on islamophobia…

Hang on, that’s not the case either. To give Woppit his dues, he’s not Islamaphobic; he treats all religions with equal contempt.

In a thread which is discussing, say, the relative merits of theism vs atheism, then his views are fair comment. On a thread like this where it’s discussing how a particular aspect of a religion works in practice, irrespective of whether you agree with those views, wading in going ‘your religion is shameful and not welcome’ isn’t particularly constructive. It doesn’t progress the discussion, it derails it. Hence my polite request to knock it off. I can do that formally if you’d prefer? (-:

wrecker

That’s cougars way of saying “I’ve shown it to you, if you carry on; I’m putting it in”

On a flight during Ramadan last year I noticed a number of Muslims partaking of the usual fodder that airlines serve up. I thought this was a bit strange, queried it with a colleague and apparently there is dispensation from fasting when travelling. So if you’re a Muslim observing Ramadan it seems as long as you’re eating and drinking on your bike you’re OK. However, he went on to stress that it was written at a time when travelling meant covering vast distances across deserts on the back of a Camel and not intended to apply to those traveling in ‘relative’ comfort of an aircraft, but it seems that some Muslims are happy to take this particular dispensation on face value.

jonba

contains the shahada…as a born muslim i am therefore gong to follow in the footsteps of my parents…you would do the same if your parents practiced their religious belief…

My parents are devout catholics, church every Sunday, confession, lent holy days. They are Eucharistic ministers, do the readings and are members of the st Vincent de Paul society.they sent my little sister to lourdes when she had leukemia. We don’t often discuss religion any more as it seldom ends well. How we laughed when someone bought up the topic of gay marriage. Just because your parents follow a religion doesn’t mean you should. What if they got the wrong one?

popstar

On my previous job I used to work with few muslims. I was curious what ramadan was all about. Did fast with them together. 2 years succesufully and 3rd year didnt complete and abandoned it at half. Went on all inclusive holidays so it didnt make sense to me. I still have translated quaran etc and find it purer than a bible but I ve been raised as christian orthodox so don’t see any need for conversion as in principle its same thing.

Now for more practical things:

We had an incident tied to this…
    Company had won 2 new contracts to operate bus routes.
    Struggling driver has lost concetration and totalled his brand new bus (90k worth) into another brand new one (190k double decker). Luckily passengers and passers by werent hurt but it was a nasty one.

There are many muslim drivers to follow it this year, and it looks like weather will get even hotter. Unfortunately company cant and wont listen to good reasons and give holidays to people, maybe they will change their minds but i hope nothing serious will happen.

Or in this climate, they might ignore any future employment with said religous group.

This is purely from my experience in transport industry.

I did ask guys if -travellers rule- could exempt them from struggles, but they just laughed at me.

twoniner

2 Muslims were arrsted last week for crashing a boat into the Thames Barrier. Apparently it was the start of Ramadam 😆

The forces have policies in place for any serving Muslims who want to take part in Ramadam.

Premier Icon Hanky
    Subscriber

I respect it but It affects our staff – the late nights, almost no sleep nicotine and caffeine withdrawal, sugar rush etc. one of them ended up in hospital last year. It also doesn’t improve the driving out here either…

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

If they work in the NHS they’ll be just like everyone else and not get time to eat.

crikey

I seed that binners eatin’ a vegitable once.

bigrich

I think it’s probably about time God popped down and update the rules? They could get a twitter account, or send an email to everyone, easy. If they could add a bit about cheap bikes for everyone, that’d be great.

5thElefant

contains the shahada…as a born muslim i am therefore gong to follow in the footsteps of my parents…you would do the same if your parents practiced their religious belief…

I’ve got missionaries in my family tree a few generations back. Luckily my family kicked the habit shortly afterwards. I didn’t meet anyone openly religious until uni. I really thought all religion was dead. I still find it very hard to believe it’s not a big wind up.

crikey

I seed that molgrips thinking about eatin’ some cheese on toast once.

crikey

…and I just seed that Rachel, eatin’ a cheesey tater and bacon pie…

Re the OP – its a good question. A few years ago, I was in a car driving from Dehli to Agra to see the Taj Mahal (tip, go by train its much less stressful). Long and tiring journey on dangerous and busy roads. On the way back, I was increasingly concerned about the Muslim driver (although I was not conscious of his religion at the start). He was starting to fall asleep at the wheel. I asked him to pull over and take a break and I offered to buy him a meal. He declined, explaining that it was light and Ramadan. After a quick discussion, we agreed to wait til dusk – he got his meal, and we got a less stressful journey!

I really thought all religion was dead.

Why do people post nonsense ?

I’m not sure its nonsense. There does seem to have been a resurgence in the popularity of religion since I was a kid in the ’80’s, though I would’t describe it as being dead. Not sure why this is – I’ve read somewhere that due to our ‘survival of the fittest’ style of capitalist economy where people succeed and thrive at other peoples expense (i’m no socialist by the way), that the general feeling amongst most people is one of unhappiness and pessimism so they turn to religion. I have no idea if that is true, but there has definitely been an increase in popularity in all religions over the last 20yrs or so – unfortunately.

crikey

I seed that ernie lynch eatin’ the heart of a guardian reader once, and it was still beatin’.

I’m not sure its nonsense.

Of course it’s nonsense. When the poster made the comment “I really thought all religion was dead” he knew full well that he didn’t believe that.

He would have been fully aware throughout his life that churches and mosques existed, that the Queen is the head of the Church of England, that Northern Ireland had some religious issues, that bishops sat in the House of Lords, etc, etc.

At no time did he think that all religion was dead.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

A sausage is a vegetable, right?

crikey

It is if you eat 5 a day.

cheekyboy

I’m not sure its nonsense. There does seem to have been a resurgence in the popularity of religion since I was a kid in the ’80’s, though I would’t describe it as being dead. Not sure why this is – I’ve read somewhere that due to our ‘survival of the fittest’ style of capitalist economy where people succeed and thrive at other peoples expense (i’m no socialist by the way), that the general feeling amongst most people is one of unhappiness and pessimism so they turn to religion. I have no idea if that is true, but there has definitely been an increase in popularity in all religions over the last 20yrs or so – unfortunately

Fantastic !

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

All that post needed on the end was the old. FACT

Viewing 45 posts - 46 through 90 (of 146 total)

The topic ‘Ramadan Fasting’ is closed to new replies.