Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Rainlegs
  • fadda

Has anyone tried these, to keep legs drier, without being restrictive?

Not sure whether they’d be a great compromise to avoid boil-in-the bag waterproof trousers, or whether they’d just be a bit crap…?

TIA

jimdubleyou

If anybody else (like me) doesn’t have a clue, these are Rainlegs.

Or if you prefer, dayglo

I don’t think that bit of me gets especially wet when it’s raining so I can’t really see the point.

nedrapier

I can see it being handy to stop the rain dribbling off your jacket and soaking your crotch, but where does the water go after that? Dribbles down further and soaks your barse? No ta.

warpcow
    Free Member

I’m tempted. Was chatting to a guy about them a couple of weeks ago and he said they worked really well for commuting. Be interested to hear other experiences.

simon_g

They work well if you’ve got mudguards (else you’ll get soaked by water being thrown up at you) and are wearing “normal” trousers. Regular fabrics stick when they get wet, and that bit on top of your thigh isn’t a great place for things to stick with all the movement as you pedal. Quicker and easier to put on than waterproof trousers, and you can have them rolled up around your waist if it’s not raining now but looks like it’ll pour soon.

When I did a lot more Brompton miles, I kept my set in the bag along with a light waterproof jacket and that was good enough for most downpours in normal clothes.

If you’re wearing proper cycling gear, not a huge benefit really.

warpcow
    Free Member

They work well if you’ve got mudguards (else you’ll get soaked by water being thrown up at you) and are wearing “normal” trousers. Regular fabrics stick when they get wet, and that bit on top of your thigh isn’t a great place for things to stick with all the movement as you pedal. Quicker and easier to put on than waterproof trousers, and you can have them rolled up around your waist if it’s not raining now but looks like it’ll pour soon.

This is why I think they’d work for me. Might just order a pair.

damitamit
    Free Member

I always have a pair in my commuting pannier (they roll up tiny).

Great when you’re commuting in normal trousers and can’t be arriving to work in wet trousers that you’ll have to sit in all day. I used them a couple of weeks ago and was amazed at how dry my trousers were (also have full length mudguards).

pictonroad

I used them on a LEJOG. Through the land that weather is invented in (To the North of England) they were great. It was constantly changing from rain to sun* and back again, they were good for short showers, not sure they’d survive a long ride/prolonged soaking.

cheddarchallenged
    Free Member

I bought some for use on my moped and they were great. Used them quite a few times cycling to work and they worked surprisingly well for that.

Whilst on a couple of business trips there I noticed they are quite popular in the Netherlands where most people cycle and the weather’s just as bad as here. For £20 they are a winner.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

they look hilarious!

stumpy01

Didn’t a bloke pop up on here a while ago with a similar waterproof overtrouser idea – I think he might have been dutch & it was a kickstarter idea…..I seem to remember the name being a bit silly.

Here you go….The Legs Jacket…..

I think it’s actually quite a good idea – easy on & off & roll up small. They even have a shoe protector….

fadda

Thanks for the replies all. A friend mentioned them, as she has horses, and she wondered if they featured in the cycling world.

As I suspected, they seem to help on a roadie/commute,but not so much maybe for actual mountain biking.

For the money, they’ve got to be worth a try!

spooky_b329

I would go with waterproof shorts (Altura) and the new knee high sealskin socks.

I was hoping to get some of the socks for Christmas but no such luck!

kayak23

You can get ones with tassels on too.

benp1

For cycling in normal clothes they’d actually be pretty handy. Wet thighs aren’t fun in the office if you’re in jeans/chinos, take a while to dry out

On one trip I can remember I went down to the gym and used the hairdryers to dry my trousers!

Might be handy for the Brompton!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Who knew these were a thing. Look ideal to avoid damp crotch on my short drizzly commute.

molgrips
    Free Member

My lower calf also gets wet from road spray, that’s not caught by mudguards.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Rainlegs’ is closed to new replies.