Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Rain X
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Urban snake oil mythery at its finest or does it work. I’ve just dropped 14 quid on exterior and interior treatments for the banger noms audi as the daughter isnt liking driving at night in the rain, obviously of late that has been the only type of driving after 4pm.

bsims
    Free Member

Have you tried glass polish inside and out? Auto glam do one if not, it will help to reduce that starry blueing effect.

ta11pau1

Rain X on the windscreen is brilliant so long as its applied properly. In heavy rain you barely need the wipers on as it just beads off. Put it on the drivers and passenger windows too.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    pipm1
    Free Member

I put it on my windscreen once, never again. It makes driving in rain like going into hyperdrive which I found quite distracting. Then I possibly made a mistake by putting my windscreen wipers on & it made some sort of horrible smear effect I could barely see through.

I like it on the side windows though as it helps keep them clear.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Mixed reviews so far. I’ve used normal glass cleaner inside before and I found that caused no end of problems with fogging.
    No doubt it will.be the driest winter on record now I’ve invested..

scotroutes

I’ve found it pretty good. Found some screenwash with similar properties though. I’ll try to link it.

DezB
    Free Member

Rain X on the windscreen is brilliant so long as its applied properly. In heavy rain you barely need the wipers on as it just beads off.

+1
    Baffled by people who say it makes visibility worse. Absolutely baffled.
    Rain X screenwash works ok, but not as good as the treatment.

BadlyWiredDog

Someone once applied Rain-X to my windscreen without telling / asking me. Had no end of problems with smearing. I suspect that it wasn’t properly applied or something.

I use PIAA silicone wiper blades which deposit a thin smear of silicone on the glass and give a similar beading effect with minimal hassle. They last ages too, when they get dirty just give the rubber a wipe with isopropyl alcohol. They’re also far and away the quietest wiper blades I’ve ever used.

Coincidentally a mate was telling me the other day how much he liked Rain-X, so I guess I may just have had a bad experience with the stuff. It was a pig to get it off the windscreen too.

gnusmas

Used rain x for years, brilliant stuff. I normally do all the windows, mirrors, front and rear lights and wipe what’s left on the cloth on the number plates. Keeps it all nice and clean. Never had an issue with it and like above rarely need wipers. The heavier the rain the better it is in my opinion.

Onzadog
    Free Member

The exterior treatment works well but I found the internal stuff disappointing.

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, the interior anti-mist stuff doesn’t work

matt_outandabout

Good wipers for the win.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I use it, have done for years.

I think it works as well as can be expected.

johnners
    Free Member

Rain X on the windscreen is brilliant so long as its applied properly. In heavy rain you barely need the wipers on as it just beads off.

Totally agree. It has to be properly applied though or you’ll get the smearing people complain about. And get a decent screenwash and don’t be shy about using it, I get great results from Prestone. It should go without saying that the inside of the glass needs to be clean too, clean it until you’re sure it’s spotless then spend the same time again cleaning it some more.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Rain x is good. I use a metal and chrome polish (cant recall brand a the mo) which the makers website recommends for glass too. Just as good as the rain x and cheaper

Smearing I found was often a sign of a wiper that needed replacement. The very thin layer of water on top of the rain x looked like a cloudy residue.

spursn17
    Free Member

Good stuff, I used to use it on my crash helmet visor and it was a revelation in the rain.

nofx
    Free Member

I use it. I use the one that you put in the washer bottles (there’s 2 in my shogun). Works a treat 😁.

nofx
    Free Member

I use it. I use the one that you put in the washer bottles (there’s 2 in my shogun). Works a treat 😁.

Del

Used to use it on my tvr because the wipers were shit. You need to apply it carefully and use the screenwash too, or it will degrade quickly. Driving down the motorway at 70 in heavy rain without wipers is a revelation, but it takes looking after and reapplying fairly frequently.

oldtennisshoes

I tried it a couple of years ago. It was great for shifting the water, but the wiper chatter it created was terrible. I tried cleaning and then changing wiper blades to no affect. I was glad when it finally wore off.
    Research I did at the times suggested some vehicles were more susceptible to it than others, but I’ll not be repeating the experiment with my current car any time soon.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Not used it.

However, for the inside of the screen, fairy liquid and water on a clean cloth and give it a good old clean, then dry off with scrunched up newspaper.

Repeat.

Really helps visibility.

VanHalen

I use it on my T2 van as the wipers are shit. It’s good in heavy rain but light drizzle it’s not so good as you get small beads of water sitting on the windscreen and at night it makes it hard to see. No smearing here just light refraction like a light diffuser on a torch.

It’s ok.

footflaps

I find polarising sunglasses really help when it’s really wet (even at night).

shuhockey
    Free Member

Try aquapel, one application lasts at least a year in my experience, was still going strong two years on the last car. It also stops the ice and snow sticking to the screen as much. rain X can be brought from Costco if you have a card, I did get some but it just isn’t as good.

fooman

I find Rain X works but doesn’t last long, well maybe a few weeks and I can’t be bothered re-applying after that, at least not until the cars once a year pre MoT wash.

P20

I’ve used it in the last with general,y positive results. I prefer it to using wipers. I might give it a go on the T6.

filibuster
    Free Member

Used on my van.

Previously had Carglass so Sonne treatment for an extra 50 bucks when getting a new windshield fitted. Worked, but for 50 notes not worth it given the small amount I drive. Found a bottle of rain X from 2012 in the workshop and applied it to the van. It worked. Didn’t last a lifetime but I didn’t bother much trying to clean thec windshield.

Will use it again. Biggest but bear of mine is the intermittent effectiveness of the rain sensor on the van. Rain X negates this.

filibuster
    Free Member

Also, stepper windscreen helps. My other half had an mx5 and rain X is only effective at higher speeds.

Northwind

Anyone used the duxback stuff that halfords do?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Rain X worked for me. If it smears then it’s not been applied properly. You have to make sure the window is clean and grease free before hand and you don’t need to apply alot of the stuff.

It helps the water run off so less or no windscreen wiper use, keeps the windscreen clearer when windscreen wipers are in use and causes the water droplets to form in much smaller globules so nightie visibility and dazzling of oncoming headlights is much reduced.

wrightyson
    Free Member

So it looks like I’ve got a bit of the aforementioned fog/smearing on the outside. Theres 144k miles of dirt on the screen so what’s to do now?

Simon

I like Rain X, the stuff in the small bottles is great, just clean the windscreen with household glass cleaner and apply, never had a problem with smearing.

Tried the Rain X 2in1 spray cleaner/rain repellent and it was rubbish, smeared and didn’t bead the rain off as well.

juanking

I’ve got it on the shower screens as well!

martymac

I use rain X, it works.
    I’ve tried the version that goes in the washer bottle, it works too.
    Having bought a new (to me) car this year i have applied meguiars ceramic wax, which takes a fair amount of time, and 5 months later my car still shines up with minimal effort, and my screen still beads as if rain X was applied yesterday.
    So, my opinion is, rain X works, but (some) other products work for a lot longer.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Good wipers for the win.

Use rain x, only need wipers at low speed.

It’s brilliant stuff.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

So what is the correct way too apply it then? I’ve followed the instruction exactly as they written are on the bottle and its made no difference whatsoever.

bigjim

I don’t like it, if your wipers are a bit worn it just smears and I don’t really like the hyperspace effect, also at lower speeds in mizzle it creates this dense beading of tiny little droplets on glass without wipers which is hard to see through.

ta11pau1

So what is the correct way too apply it then? I’ve followed the instruction exactly as they written are on the bottle and its made no difference whatsoever.

Just as it says in the instructions.

Clean windscreen (make sure it’s really clean!)
    With a decent microfiber cloth, apply in circles, then leave for a few minutes
    Buff off with a second cloth.
    Spray some water over and use a paper towel to further remove any haze.
    Make sure it’s buffed off properly or else you’ll just end up smearing what’s not been removed.

You may see some wiper ‘judder’ at the start but once it’s had a good bit of rain on it it’ll stop doing this.

Once you’ve done this you should see any water just sheeting off, the difference will be very noticeable.

damascus
    Free Member

Yeah, the interior anti-mist stuff doesn’t work

We use it for work, I did my side, colleague did his. My side never mists up, his does. If it doesn’t work then it’s user error.

I’ve been using rain x on my van for years. I also think it helps the screen from freezing over night compared to my neighbours cars.

breadcrumb

I used it years ago with good affect on my AX, but found it poor in my Prelude. At the time I put this down to angle of the windscreen, but it could of just been poor application.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Rain X’ is closed to new replies.