Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Rain in the cold = snow
  • matt_outandabout

So the rain down south have been having has fallen on the hills up here as white stuff…

This is the same pic from the carpark at Glencoe, two weeks ago and yesterday… 😯

http://saisglencoe.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/lots-of-snow-in-glen-coe.html?spref=fb

piemonster

Liked

peterfile
    Free Member

Funnily enough, I hiked up behind the guys yesterday and took a photo of them taking a photo at that exact spot (that’s someone’s head poking out) 🙂

First tracks were, well, amazing 🙂

zippykona

Makes a welcome change to looking at peoples flooded houses.
    More pics please.

matt_outandabout

This the classic Hill snow though – little below about 4-500m, then suddenly BOOM, loads…

Bunnyhop

Brilliant – more snow than the alps.

Drac

Excellent!

The Cheviots are still pretty white too but they’ll be no where that much of course.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I dont want to be too pedantic but that is the Ski Patrol Hut at approx 860m, whereas the Carpark is at about 360m. I skied past it on friday and raised an eyebrow. you’d only know it was there if you knew it was there, if you know what I mean.

Normally the floor of the hut is about head/chest height of the skiers queueing to get on the T-Bar. I have never seen accumulations like it at Glencoe.

matt_outandabout

I thought it was the car park hut?

rickmeister

Guess there is a certain amount of ironing with that lift and that amount of snow,,, guess it isnt running… same as perfect conditions on the hill but the ski road is closed…

scotroutes

Not too shabby a day in the Cairngorms either.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

But is it just wind blown drifts or true depth across the hill?

Give it a day or two and it will be all gone 🙁

peterfile
    Free Member

Give it a day or two and it will be all gone

Lol. No 🙂

I’ve never seen the hills so loaded. I headed up to have a look at Rannoch Wall on the buachaille after I’d been skiing on Saturday. No idea how people are ticking routes off at the moment.

There’s about 5 metres on glencoe and it’s still dumping a foot or sometimes substantially more each night.

footflaps

Cairngorm elevated railway:

passtherizla
    Free Member

My brother and his buddies are up there this weekend… He said it’s been amazing. Did his first front flip outside of the fridge. they stayed in one of the huts and were able to ride to the door. Hope it lasts until 8th march 🙁

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Give it a day or two and it will be all gone

No chance, at this rate the Scottish ski resorts will be open into the Glasgow fair!.

peterfile
    Free Member

passtherizla, trust me, it will last until 8 March.

I’m struggling to work out how the higher peaks are going to rid themselves of all this snow before next winter (being serious here, particularly the Ben)….anyone know at what point things would tip towards having a permanent snow/ice cap at 1400m? There’s quite often year round patches in Point 5.

passtherizla
    Free Member

Ah thanks Peter… Gives me hope. It was good a few weeks back I’ve ridden there in all sorts of conditions but this snowfall is immense.

peterfile
    Free Member

Although it was great this weekend, it was slightly marred by the huge numbers of incredibly loud cockney families who couldn’t afford to go to Meribel for half term, so instead decide to CONSTANTLY SHOUT to each other ALL THE TIME in voices that sounded like someone grating a cat. Plus lots of middle aged dads wearing go pros and ski suits and SHOUTING orders at their kids up and down the lift queues and who didn’t quite work out the concept of doubling up when the t bar is busy 🙂

matt_outandabout

I have skied on summers solstice in Scotland – on back of Lawers three years ago. 8)
    The current build up will likely leave many patches this year.

Northwind

It’s not proper scottish skiing if there’s full snow cover, how are today’s kids going to learn to dodge rocks?

footflaps

I have a set of special Scottish skis, with the base completely worn away from skiing on a unique mix of heather, rocks and a dusting of snow.

peterfile
    Free Member

I’m the same footflaps!

To be fair, even with all this snow, scottish folk go hunting for heather and rocks 🙂 I was doing laps of the approach chair and down to the car park because the drag lifts were busy. Lovely 45 degree powder for a few hundred metres and then progressively greener 🙂 We never learn

piemonster

I may have picked a reasonable year to learn to ski.

alpin
    Free Member

was at 1800m yesterday in the Bavarian Alps… in places there was about 40cm of week old snow. otherwise it was pretty bare. more slush than snow…. oh, and it was 18°C! crazy!

passtherizla
    Free Member

Ha ha dodge rocks!?!? I have a board that is just for Scotland. I embrace the rocks. It’s Delammed,got a piece of missing edge and the base has canyons in it I have to fill with wax still rides like new though so I’m not retiring it until it snaps.

nbt

Hmmm. we’re supposed to be going to North Wales for mayday week, but I might suggest a change of venue and head up to scotland – I’ve done 2* mayday ski weekends in recent years and I reckon there’ll be a third one on the cards this year

molgrips
    Free Member

anyone know at what point things would tip towards having a permanent snow/ice cap at 1400m?

I had heard that it would only take a 2 degree reduction in average temperature to result in permanent snow cover and some small glacier formation.

Year round snow cover is not rare though is it? I went up to Scotland in late August a few years ago and there was snow on the Ben then.

Bunnyhop

Ah yes the joy of skiing heather and rocks.
    nbt – I’m in 🙂

scotroutes

Cairngorm have had to suspend ticket sales today as they’ve reached maximum capacity. They”ve so been working to get the Ciste chair operational.

bruneep
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Rain in the cold = snow’ is closed to new replies.