• This topic has 53 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by GJP.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Railway tickets around christmas are disgraceful
  • Joe

A Single from Edinburgh to London on the 2nd of January is over a £100.

What kind of lunatic system is it which allows the railways to profiteer so horrifically from anyone needing to get anywhere over the festive season.

I expect its because there are a million tourists going to hogmanay or whatever the hell its called, BUT it is still absurd that the railways are run on some kind of lunatic for profit bonanza.

nammynake
    Free Member

It’s called capitalism (or greed).

Drac

£63 on train line.

just5minutes
    Free Member

That’s only 25p a mile though

cynic-al
    Free Member

Up, blame Thatcher…..or just book in advance.

postierich
    Free Member

Probably cost the same driving from Edin to London! is it the same price for a return maybe do a deal with some one! needing to get fom London to edinburgh

fatboyslo
    Free Member

maybe all the cheaper tickets have already been bought

possibly by folks who made plans a while ago ….

for balance an ” anytime single ” the week after is £150 so 100 is still a discount 😉

you should try planning a trip from Yorkshire to Cornwall at any time of year if you really want to see “pricey ” train tickets 🙁

nammynake – Member
    It’s called capitalism (or greed).

or supply and demand

Stoner
    Free Member

£100 is pretty cheap given the distance. which is a bout 30p per mile.
    Bargin.

It’s £100 for a standard peak ticket from Bristol to London which is about 90p per mile.

allthepies
    Free Member

Drac

No wait sorry I was wrong. It’s £50 on train line.

http://bit.ly/1jx34xg

jambalaya
    Free Member

Single’s are always relatively expensive compared to returns. 2nd Jan is a peak day for travel, you seem to be booking quite late. At least there are still tickets available, trains are like planes there are only so many seats available. On that note you might check prices of a plane ticket.

Pigface
    Free Member

trains are like planes there are only so many seats available.

You are kidding plenty of standing room on the train, yes pay full fair and don’t even get a seat

bensales
    Free Member

And the price on 2nd January is no different from the price next Thursday.

Flaperon

If you went on the 1st or the 3rd you could fly for £32. The 2nd is full. 🙁

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So have we established that it is the same price as normal then? Just the cheap seats are booked up.

I’m sure I used to pay nearly that for the 7am Glasgow to Warrington train on Monday mornings

Drac

Plenty of cheap seats available but the OP didn’t see them, even 1st class is less than £100.

brakes
    Free Member

His point still stands. Trains are very expensive, and the prices change massively to suit demand. You don’t get that on the bus do you? Or in the car? And booking in advance isn’t always an option.

Drac

Trains can be expensive but with some careful planning they’re not often less than half the price you may first think. Buses prices don’t alternate no but coaches yes they might but never use them so not sure. Car no why would private transport fluctuate? But see how expensive a taxi is at Xmas or New Years Day. The prices alter purely based on demand very similar to many things.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

brakes – Member
    His point still stands. Trains are very expensive, and the prices change massively to suit demand. You don’t get that on the bus do you? Or in the car? And booking in advance isn’t always an option.

But you do with planes and coaches (there is nearly a 100% difference in National Express coach fares around that time) with the coach costing about £50 and taking longer, the train is £50-65.

If you can get the £50 fare that works out at about 13p/mile which is rather good.

project
    Free Member

12 quid on http://www.megabus.com

10 hour journey though

somafunk

Drac : Have you made a start on the xmas sherry?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

if thats too much then you can fly (note planes don’t leave/arrive in the city centre and it probably costs loads to get too and from the airport)
    http://www.skyscanner.net/transport/flights/edi/lond/140102/airfares-from-edinburgh-to-london-in-january-2014.html?rtn=0

Sandwich

A quick check on distances shows that it would take about £40 of diesel to run the car (the Sandwich motor, others are available) from London to Edinburgh. Train price doesn’t look too bad by comparison.
    Drac has TJ logged in as you? 8)

Drac

I know me defending trains there’s something wrong there but for one person travelling alone they can be not too bad. I’m off to Leeds on Wednesday I got a return for about what it would cost to with first class return too.

Once you go over one person car is cheaper.

GJP
    Free Member

It is the basic pricing economics of supply and demand. If you don’t like the price travel on the 3rd or 4th of January. Or better still you should have got your act together and booked earlier, if you were unable to confirm your plans earlier then you can hardly blame the train company for selling the seat earlier to another passenger at a lower price.

I could go onto explain that train, airline, hotel etc pricing and overbooking is almost as Marxist in it principles as it is capitalist. It is in neither in the consumers’ or company’s interests to have static non dynamic pricing, and not to overbook. This is one example where the fat cats really do support the poor. 😆

Oh and that train on the 2nd of Jan may depart with empty seats, and most probably will! 😆 Companies with highly perishable* products do not maximise their profits by selling every product it has – the Marxism bit falls over here a little.

I worked in airline revenue management for many years

* pretty much every consumer product is perishable

brakes
    Free Member

Everyone knows about basic pricing economics, the point here is not that it’s £100 on a Tuesday and £200 on a Friday, it’s that it’s £100 on any day and not £50. Trains are expensive on any day of the week and for some there is no other choice of transport.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

There’s a lot of Stockholm Syndrome on display here.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Oh and that train on the 2nd of Jan may depart with empty seats, and most probably will! Companies with highly perishable* products do not maximise their profits by selling every product it has – the Marxism bit falls over here a little.

National infrastructure is not a “product” to which that methodology should be applied. There’s a big public cost we all bear as a result.

GJP
    Free Member

Everyone knows about basic pricing economics, the point here is not that it’s £100 on a Tuesday and £200 on a Friday, it’s that it’s £100 on any day and not £50. Trains are expensive on any day of the week and for some there is no other choice of transport.

Does not questioning why it is £100 and not £50 demonstrate a lack of understanding in even the most basic concepts of pricing?

National infrastructure is not a “product” to which that methodology should be applied. There’s a big public cost we all bear as a result.

To what extent are the Train Operating Companies part of the national infrastructure? Rightly or wrongly based on past Governments decisions I now find it hard to see them any differently than airlines, buses etc. Is their relationship with Network Rail materially different than an airlines relationship with the BAA or other Airport owner?

Flaperon

Or better still you should have got your act together and booked earlier, if you were unable to confirm your plans earlier then you can hardly blame the train company for selling the seat earlier to another passenger at a lower price.

Yeah, except the railways are a national service massively subsidised by general taxation, so restricting them to the very rich on busy days is a ****** disgrace.

brakes
    Free Member

Does not questioning why it is £100 and not £50 demonstrate a lack of understanding in even the most basic concepts of pricing?

As a consumer, I need to understand the absolute cost of something and its value. I don’t need to understand how the greedy corporations decided on its price to maximise their margins.
    If something is expensive, it’s still expensive regardless of how its price was calculated.
    Cross country train operators cam charge what they like, and so they do.

GJP
    Free Member

Are the railways heavily subsidised these days? I honestly do not know, but the interim results for Network Rail for the 6 months ending 30 Sept 2013 are very healthy. Post tax profits of £861k with a capital expenditure programme of £2.7 in the first 6 months.

Not sure the position was as healthy a few years back.

GJP
    Free Member

brakes. That is where you and I will need to agree to disagree. I as a consumer I only need to understand the value of something.

njee20
    Free Member

Are the railways heavily subsidised these days

Not really, the operators have gone from having significant subsidies to having to pay to operate the franchises, National Express defaulted on those payments, so the East Coast franchise (in question here) is run by DOR – which is the Government.

As a consumer, I need to understand the absolute cost of something and its value

How do you go about deciding the “value” of a train ticket from London to Edinburgh? Do you mean you apply a totally arbitrary number in your head? Or do you sit down and price up the original cost of the infrastructure, the cost to electrify it in the 70s, the cost of the signalling, the upgrades, the train leasing costs, then divide all of these by potential passenger numbers to get a value to you? No, didn’t think so.

TooTall
    Free Member

So. Have we gone from ‘discovering the OP doesn’t know how to look for a cheap seat’ to ‘capitalism and trains’ so quickly?

bonchance
    Free Member

why do you ask? 😀

brakes
    Free Member

a totally arbitrary number in your head?

Let’s not be contrary. It’s not arbitrary, it’s based on what’s affordable for the consumer and value means the cost relative to the purpose of the journey.

You could buy a frozen chicken for £100 or you could buy fresh free range breastfed chicken for £200. Neither represent good value and both are a very expensive meal regardless of why they’re priced like they are.

olddog

With the chicken example – you would buy something else and then the chicken price would have to come down or the chicken suppliers go bust.

With the trains there are limited alternatives and those that are cheaper are more of a pain – take longer, are more tiring et. Ultimately transport is becoming rapidly more expensive but our lives are built to some degree around cheap travel.

The alternative to expensive fares/having to be flexible about travel times to get something a bit cheaper – is to subsidise through Govt, or even re-nationalise. But then everyone pays through general taxation – is that more or less fair – discuss.

molgrips
    Free Member

Now I’m not a tory, and I wish railways were government owned and run as a service, but I wonder what the complainers would do when everyone wants to travel from London on a Friday evening?

Bearing in mind they can’t lay on any more trains.

Drac

As a consumer, I need to understand the absolute cost of something and its value.

Most take your hours to do a shop.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co5GTmDU4oY[/video]

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Railway tickets around christmas are disgraceful’ is closed to new replies.