Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • Rail Rage – anybody handled it better than I did this morning?
  • project
    Free Member

The train guard is responsible for the safety of the passenger on a train, and his decision is final, sadly being a naughty cyclist,you have now made it harder for the cyclists that use the train as a means of accesing more remote areas, not just a short commute, there are rules set out in the rule book, and obviously the guard was up holding them, dont like it, write to Northern Rail,the office of the rail regulator, and anyone else you can think of, but as Northern Rail are a private company, they take your money and its up to them to make the rules, as with everything in life.

Oh and most supermarkets deliver, some free, and never heard of mailorder cycle parts.

allthepies
    Free Member

OK, reported 🙂

yossarian
    Free Member

Maybe you’ll get a toffee apple

allthepies
    Free Member

Oooooo, a slice of carrot cake would be better. But I’ll settle for the toffee thang.

Deveron53
    Free Member

moaning about somebody doing their job

er, doing their job totally by the book and being a right jobsworth about it. If ALL the train managers rigidly stuck to the 2 bikes per train rule and the ‘buy a ticket before you get on’ rule then all very well, we know what to expect. But EVERY Northern train manager except 2 of them allows multiple bikes and tickets on demand.
    The trains can take 4 bikes without any problem. I can’t see why the limit is 2. They used to ban bikes totally on the Hull to Scarborough line and years afterwards I found out why. The reason was TOTALLY ludicrous and unjustified.
    I get fitter as a result of my self-admitted over the top blow-up. It’s true, no-one knows the full story. There may be a good reason why I’m a bit angry this week. I could do with a ban from stw, It would make me find something else to do when I’m bored.

yossarian
    Free Member

Oooooo, a slice of carrot cake would be better. But I’ll settle for the toffee thang.

No doubt with a large side order of GRASS

Deveron53
    Free Member

project, it’s weird how one word offends you but another doesn’t.

Bez

“Tortuous” means twisty. “Torturous” means torture-like. Learn to read, people.

And to the OP, yes, probably just about everyone’s handled it better than you. Chill out, get 7 miles of de-stressing in and stop being a walking PR disaster for cyclists.

allthepies
    Free Member

No doubt with a large side order of GRASS

Bring it on baby.

curtisthecat
    Free Member

Make sure you shut the door on the way out then tiger.

project
    Free Member

Deveroon,Just perhaps a passenger, who has bought a ticjket has complained about to many bikes taking up space,or delaying the departure of the train, like i said string a few words together and send it to northern rail,

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Sorry, but if I did my job wrong, I’d get a bollocking. Wouldn’t you?

Train ‘manager’ (aka, guard) = hero.
    You = dick.

project
    Free Member

Deveron53 – Member
    project, it’s weird how one word offends you but another doesn’t.

Posted 1 minute ago # Report-Post

I have no problem with swearing, but dont want to read it aimed a t a public servant, thats whuy i ***** it, also whats the other word.

Ps luving your work so far………..

yunki
    Free Member

Jobsworth conductor wouldn’t let my dog on the train earlier… so I set it loose on him…

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’m sure you have more chance of getting a hippo on a train as I doubt there is a rule that says “no hippos on trains”. Whereas there is a rule about only allowing 2 bikes on a train.

billysugger
    Free Member

I could do with a ban from stw, It would make me find something else to do when I’m bored.

Echo those sentiments. People don’t even try not to be nesbits when they go online, they say what they would have said to that big guy in the pub if they had the nads. Not been here that long but it can be like nesbit-central sometimes.

allthepies
    Free Member

Hippos rock.

(unless you are in a canoe and one takes a dislike to you)

bigyinn
    Free Member

Whats a nesbit???

project
    Free Member

That hippo has only 3 legs…..

allthepies
    Free Member

Is it a scotch thing (a nesbit) ?

yunki
    Free Member

That hippo dog has only 3 legs…..

that’s why I was so angry.. the guy expected us to walk home.. he didn’t even care that my dog’s disabled..
    jobsworth

boblo
    Free Member

Canoes rock…sometimes….

cheburashka
    Free Member

They’re not Train Managers, trust me – I speak as a Northern Rail driver. A small minority of guards/conductors tend to be jobsworths (apart from in Leeds where the majority seem to be jobsworths. Sheffield are supposed to be a pain too but I don’t have dealings with them in work). Liverpool and Manchester guards tend to be the most amenable but there are ‘a few’ who are a pain in the arse as there is in any walk of life. There is officially a two bikes policy on Northern but that is down to guard’s discretion at peak times (and they’re supposed to show discretion to allow more than two bikes at quiet times). The problem we’ve got at the moment is that the little sh1ts that go round by the dozen with BMXs at weekends and school/bank holidays are causing problems for ‘real cyclists’ on trains and I can see them stuffing it up for us all. Try to be diplomatic, not easy when faced with a little Hitler but try nonetheless.

But 7 miles? Come on…

dthom3uk

In defence of Northern Rail I have spent the last 18 months commuting with my bike on NR trains and have found all of the staff to be really amenable and helpful. On the train I was on we often had four or five bikes and the staff even moved passengers off the flip up seats to accommodate us.

I found the attitude of the staff helpful and the one time I got refused on the train because it was rammed the Conductor was very apologetic.

With NR you don’t have to book in advance, unlike Transpennine trains where you do.

Kevevs
    Free Member

did anyone notice the 7 miles you were vehemently refusing to ride on your bicycle! Must. Get. Train!

aracer
    Free Member

Oh and ever tried getting on a bus wuith a bike, it wont ever happen.

I’ve taken a tandem on a bus.

Kevevs
    Free Member

you can stick your bike on this bus http://www.gwynedd.gov.uk/gwy_doc.asp?doc=25961&Language=1 then ride down Snowdon!

charliedontsurf

I got a surly big dummy, the long cargo bike, with wideloader racks on a train.
    I hid it behind some big wheely bins on the platform, waited, found bike carriage, quickly stuck it on without being seen.
    Had it parked across the train. Did you know a big dummy is as long as a train is wide.
    Guard finds me and is polite and cool.
    No hassles despite me blocking the corridor.
    Saucey looking girl in silver leopard skin leggings liked the bike too. She smelt of cannabis.

BigJohn

Rail Rage – anybody handled it worse, ever?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

get up a little earlier, and bimble in to work all calm and collected.

At 14 – 15 mph avg, I think he did bimble

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve been using Southern (Yes I know, the ever comical train company) and dispite the lack of running a service (seperate issue), they have a train carriage and areas for bikes. I’ve never been told off even when I just put the bike in the doorways (which I’m not keen on doing because of the angst it causes other passengers) and I’m not the only one either. We have this nob who insists on ramming his bike into the small area where the luggage is supposed to go and he blocks up the corridor (he has aBrompton folded, but it still pokes out)

I’ve a foldie BTW and sometimes I do actually fold it..hahaha

rootes1

Everyone seems to ignore the no cycles on trains to/from London (during peak time) on SouthWest trains, rail staff included.

Yep too true annoying even for those with bromptons/folding bikes seeing someone barge on with a proper biek when you have forked out for a folder… having said that for peak time folders make it so much easier – each time I take a full size bike on a train it reminds me how good the brompton is

But using the train for 7 miles – in summer ?

that is a bit poor isn’t it

^ cool hippo though

Foundry
    Free Member

Deveron53

I to have a similar temperment to you so I understand. I am on occasion ashamed of myself but I would not want to change.

PJM1974
    Free Member

As others have said, some train companies have different rules and even some stations will be more obtuse than others.

I recently travelled by East Coast to Manchester with a bike and the train driver couldn’t have been more helpful, the nod, wink and “nice bike matey! I’ll keep an eye on her for you” certainly helped.

Southeastern can be quite good, however even during the hours of 7pm + that you’re allowed to take your bike on the train, idiot passengers insist in congregating at the bike bays and refuse to allow you to park your bike there (simply because the adjacent seats have more leg room). I’ve had two stand up rows with other passengers, the first bloke got told to shut up when he complained to a guard, the second was a bloke with an expensive Trek road bike who decided that my expensive mountain bike wouldn’t fit next to his (it would). Better signage is needed.

Oh, and First Great Eastern are a bunch of obstructive jobsworths. I once told a guard there that I sincerely hoped that he went home to discover someone else in bed with his wife.

Deveron53
    Free Member

I reiterate: There are 2 train managers who are total assholes. Every other train manager is a saint.

End of story.

project
    Free Member

Deveron53 – Member
    I reiterate: There are 2 train managers who are total assholes. Every other train manager is a saint.

End of story.

Posted 2 minutes ago # Report-Post

They possibly have similar thoughts about you..,,,,,

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

i use the train to carry me and my bike for part of my commute every day and have never had any trouble with the train guards whatsoever, and thats on Northern Rail and TPE.
    But as above 7miles ??? Really ! hang your head in shame

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Rail Rage – anybody handled it better than I did this morning?’ is closed to new replies.