Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Rail fare increases.
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

Up by some huge percentage or other in January. How’s your commuting strategy? It might be worth a bit of a study.

I had a detailed look at mine and by extending the cycling by 20 minutes and reducing the rail journey by two stations, I’m saving myself £800 p.a!

Bikes are REALLY good, aren’t they? 😀

loum
    Free Member

Is that cycle to a station closer to London and commute from there, or commute from the same place but get off the train earlier then cycle across London?

Need to work out a plan too and £800 is a decent saving.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

It’s: cycle to a station closer to London (Leatherhead – New Malden) which is on a different part of the network, then get off at Vauxhall instead of Waterloo for the second cycle leg to Wapping…

Who knows – by this time next year I might be fit enough to contemplate cycling the whole thing!

project
    Free Member

Mersey rail have got fre secure card access cycle parking at a lot of stations round here, and Manchester picadily has rent a folding bike at the main line station.The decsent folders not the cheap ones, cant remeber the name though.

Just perhaps people shjould work closer to home or alter their start and finish times, there is vwery little ned for all off ices to stat at 9.00 till 5.00 , work flexi shifts and wekends.or 12 hour days, youre only sitting there , not like care workers or Paramedics.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

… or Post Room Managers…

loum
    Free Member

I find the travelcard/season ticket pricing works against occasional cyclists, where the journey’s possible to cycle- but too far to do it every day.
    Don’t know what travel card you’re using, but I found cycling in to London easiest to do by going weekly. I’d get a seven day card, then ride in on the eighth and possibly ninth days with the incentive of saving a bit of cash. Stretching it out to a 9 day cycle made decent savings and motivated me to ride more.
    Never built up the strength and fitness to do it every day though, live a bit to far out.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Don’t know what travel card you’re using,

Yearly season ticket.

loum
    Free Member

Fair enough, best saving already.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I’m lucky with the circumstances, but it might be worth considering if you live outside a major city with radial rail lines feeding it…

seosamh77
    Free Member

How’s your commuting strategy?

Mine = lives near my work.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Rail fare increases.’ is closed to new replies.