Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Ragley Spike Seatpost
  • honourablegeorge

Anybody use one? Is it a decent cheap option?

For my roadrat, although it could find itself on the Soul now and then too.

There’s a Sunline V1 post on CRC for a few quid more, torn between the two.

ivantate
    Free Member

Mine drops (maybe undersize as there were rumours about this a while back and a 27.3mm was available)), its very flxy and the finish scrapes off easily.

Its bad and the Ragley QR clamp is worse.

honourablegeorge

That’s pretty definitive….duly crossed off the list.

FOG

I wouldn’t be quite so critical, it was cheap. My major criticism is the saddle retaining mechanism which seems to make it impossible to get the saddle at the right angle or rather you get the right angle but the saddle moves when you tighten up. Hmm perhaps I am quite as critical!

honourablegeorge

🙂 – “It’s not that bad, but here’s another problem with it….”

Brown
    Free Member

Well the anodising’s worn off mine, but it holds my seat in the right place. As that’s what it’s meant to do and I don’t care about how it looks, I’d say it was fine. And cheap.

Murray

Mine was fine until I took it off to fit a dropper post

jimw
    Free Member

the Ragley QR clamp is worse.

Thats odd- I have found the Ragley clamp to be the best I have tried- certainly better to use and more effective than Hope clamps?!?

julianwilson
    Free Member

Mrs j has a 30.9 one on her bike, she is quite little though, so has not broken it or shifted the saddle. Don’t be taken in by the ‘2 bolt’ bit: they are side by side (rather than fore and aft where they would be used to adjust and hold the angle of the saddle): like one-bolt posts, it has those sort of interlocking teeth to adjust the angle. I suppose that means you might have to live with being within a couple of degrees of your ideal saddle angle rather than bang on what you want, but that has never bothered me on other bikes.

Ragley qr seatclamp is also just fine for the money in our experience.

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

i have one, haven’t noticed any issues with it, and it was cheap.

i like the spiral numbers too, easy to be accurate in the dark

ivantate
    Free Member

Number are great for aslong as you can read them.

My problem with the clamp was that it wouldn’t stop the post dropping when used with a ragley post in a ragley frame. I was progressively tightening it over a few rides and although the seat was still dropping tt broke last winter (3rd ride). When it was about -6.

The bad part about it was there was only about 3mm square of material where it broke. The casting was poor and the machining inaccurate which didn’t help but this part was designed too thin.

Now using as Onone bolt clamp I took of an old frame and have an allen key in my pocket.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Ragley Spike Seatpost’ is closed to new replies.