Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Ragley Blue Pig Build thread……… and outing
  • supafly1982
    Free Member

aka the black and white bastard! 😆

Well a few months ago i bought a steel frame, i was going to buy a mmm bop but decided on a steely to see what the ride was like. Stickers were in the process of being stuck on in the pics.

I was wanting to stick some Rockshox Lyrik 2011 115-160mm U-turns, i managed to find a set for £450 from chain reaction, a good set too with lots of adjustment and mission control dampening. 2 weeks went by and i noticed they moved the delivery date back another month with out telling, i phoned to tell them i needed them soon. the next day they refunded the money without telling, turned out they could not source them! 👿

I had bought these to go with the forks that were getting delivered. Stan ZTR flow on SS hubs, 20mm front and 10mm through axle rear.

so i was stuck with a set of wheels with 20mm front and needed compatable forks, after a bit of huming and hawing i bought these from america for £350, postage £50, then got stung with customs tax £53, so be wary if buying international on Ebay. got this customs note on my birthday too 🙄
    Anyway forks are Rockshox Revelations XX 150mm with floodgate and hydro lock out.

I had various bits lying in the shed from other builds, mechs, brakes, shifters, saddle, crank, bars, stem, cassette, chain, all of which only a couple short rides old.

I bought a FSA the PIG DH headset and pressed it into the frame. I stuck on a brand new SLX/ XT bottom bracket. A new Ragley spike seat post and a Hope seat clamp.

I then stuck on the SLX tripple, the wheels, casette and rear mech

I begrudgingly paid the customs fee and got the forks, Borrowed a plummers pipe cutter, broke the wheel (it was old) and resorted to the old hacksaw, make sure you put a guid on the pipe if you do this, the pipe cutter had scored it so i used a good few turns of leccy tape and that sufficed. I then filed the burs and chamfoured the steerer.

So I ordered nice white superstar grips, XT rotors and a few other small bits like mineral oil.
    I had bought new XT shifters on STW, the guy refunded me the money next day saying he posted them to someone else thinking it was me…..hmm sure. So i stuck on the slx shifters.

I stuck my 20 mile old XT M785 brakeset on, only to find the hoses were too short from last bike, so had to buy new hoses, i opted for white ones from superstar. Realised i could not reuse the shimano banjo’s as they are crimped so had to buy superstar banjo’s – cost £24.
    Filled the brakes up and bled them, oil was clear and running smooth. Levers were pressing to the bar.

I was worried as the SS banjo’s use 2 copper washers and the banjo which is alot thicker than the ruber O-ring and banjo shimano set up. I Thought it might be drawing air. I tried on numerous occasions to bleed them but lever pulled to the bar every time. it was driving me mad, all ready tired from college, work and up half the nights with my lad it was really annoying me, so instead of being clear headed and doing more research i bought white shimano hoses with banjo’s- cost £46

I searched and searched for a good vid and infto on how to bleed the new XT brakes, not alot on youtube, varous threads moaning theres not alot on them lol, then i found this little golden nugget http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2c6ezHY0A4&feature=related

I bought the yellow bleed funnel as Shimano brakes are bled gravity assisted. I cut and fit the rear hose, bled the system and tried it. I was getting bite, but only at the end of lever travel, however when you put pads in lever travels more than with bleed block and pulls to bar

I wound the lever so far out it looked stupid! 😆 but was still not good enough.

So at my wits end with the rear brake i had pulled the other brake to pieces to have a look at its internals, put it all back together, stuck new shimano hose on and bled, acording to the vid.
    WALLAH! perfect!! lever bites after little free stroke and has strong feel to it.
    Then it hit me, it was so simple i was stupid not to see it! what was the difference between the 2 brakes? One was verticle and one was at a gentle gradient.

I unbolted the rear caliper, let it hang down and made my temperary jig to hold it whilst i done the bleed proceedure

I drained the whole system and injected fresh oil. You would not belive it, something seeminlgly so minor could make all the difference, this was the vital key, having the brake line verticle whilst injecting the fluid removed all the air out the top, firm bite, no mocroscopic air bibbles to build up and create and air pocket. 😳
    And the rest as they say is history!

Took it for a run, was running great, brakes squealing a bit, but thats my fault (oil 😆 )
    Got a puncture just as i got home, crappy Kenda innertube, must of been something sharp on it from it sitting in the shed as it burst on the inside facing the tape. Stuck my usual tube back in.

So thats the story, never before has a bike caused me so much hassle, it took a few months to get the parts together but its built now, feels strange being back on a hardtail

hope you dont mind the novel, ive built a few bikes now but just thought i would show you sometimes not all builds go to plan 😆

cheers
    scott

Not the best of pics, usual story, having too much fun. im really liking this bike! :thumbup: I had it at kiroughtree yesterday and was just getitng used to being back on a hardtail, today i got the chance to do more natural stuff and a longer journey.

Stranraer would be in the horizon if you could see it, that spit of land in the loch is the Scar and its about 7(ish) mile from stranraer. I reckon at the time of picture i had done about 10/11 mile from my house.

The new ferry in Loch Ryan, Stena used to run from stranraer but have moved to the far side of cairnryan, its closer to the entry of the loch so saling times are faster and they make more money, strange not having ferry’s leave the town, they have always been here since i was a kid

Today i fell in love! 😀

http://www.trailscotland.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2606

Looking into stranraer, nearly home

Looking out to the entry to the loch, the hills on the right are the ones we were over.

Was a cracking day, we were completely rotten, it was filthy and im defonately going to do the route again as my endomondo is only recording time and no distance or calories, its the pro version so ive deleted it and gone back to the free version, never had bother with it. this is not a one off either, it did it to me yesterday at kirroughtree.

Bike was filthy and never skipped a beat, the wheels were so dirty at one point they looked smooth with no tread and the mud was scraping over chain stays, you could not see the front mech 😆

Im loving the forks, they are just brilliant!

can you tell that i really like the bike? anyone want to buy a full sus? 😆

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Nice write-up and great pics

Blue Pigs are great aren’t they, here’s mine just after I built it up almost exactly 2 years ago to the day (rear brake hose subsequently re-routed):

rudedog
    Free Member

Familiar landscape in those pics looking over Glenapp, we did the coastal path from Stranraer to Ballantrae last year and went up over that hill – was beast of a climb up to the taxing stone and the WW2 gun turrets above Cairnryan!

Nice bike too.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Shorty121
    Free Member

The problem with the lyrics happened to me 🙁 3 weeks later they advertised the same forks

supafly1982
    Free Member

Hi Gile, thats a nice bike, how are you finding the Alberts? ive got a Fat albert on the front, bloody thing keeps trying to kill me, even when i run it soft.

Rudedog are you local? i should learn how to write local place names, Glen Ap lol, it is indeed Glenapp, yeah those climbs are steep, its a good run, will do it again this time with my endomondo running.

Yeah Shorty its bad crack, they defonately should not be doing things like that, dont know how they get away with it 🙁

br
    Free Member

You’d have found it far easier to build up using a workstand.

supafly1982
    Free Member

if you look up you will see its on a workstand 😉 never said it was hard to build, said there was complications regarding parts and bleeding the brakes after being fully drained

wors

That could almost be my bike, except i binned the white grips after a few rides as they was a nice brown shade!

Enjoy, they are cracking bikes.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

That looks pretty decent, does that.

supafly1982
    Free Member

Hi wors, yeah ive just had to scrub them today, now the look a dirty white instead of brown lol

cheers Gary 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

@superfly – I just switched to Fat Alberts from High Rollers, have to say I’m not convinced so far on the “downs”, climbing – better, flat trails ok but not as confident in roots. Perhaps it’s familiarity after 3 years on HR, still a work in progress.

FWIW I was on a ride this week with a blue pig, guy was a good rider and did everything the 160mm FS guys did, jump/drops, gaps etc … nice build, bling without being garish !

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

supafly1982 – Member
    Hi Gile, thats a nice bike, how are you finding the Alberts? ive got a Fat albert on the front, bloody thing keeps trying to kill me, even when i run it soft.

supa – not that impressed tbh. They’re ok in the bone dry, but as soon as there’s any moisture about the front will let go in corners without warning and have me on my ar$e. They didn’t stay on long, I’ve got some old Conti Verts on there at the mo.

rudedog
    Free Member

Aye supafly – I live in Stranraer, I ride a blue Mmmbop if you see me out and about 🙂

smartay

Blue Pig frame? my seat stays curve to meet the rear mount vertical

wors

That’s a mk1 frame

supafly1982
    Free Member

@ aka_Gilo – aye same here, the slightest bit of moisture and it wants to kill me lol

@ jambalaya – cheers fella, im hoping to have this bike a long time.

@ wors – is mine not a mk2? i thought aka_Gilo’s was a mk1 as it had different routing etc and the curved a mk3

@ rudedog – do you work at the creamery? ive seen a guy on a blue ragley, cant remember what one though, give me shout if you want to go a blast some time, i’ll see if i can send you an email, mines is supafly1982(AT)yahoo.co.uk

wors

Definitely mk1 mate, same as aka_gilo,s

PJM1974
    Free Member

Not much wrong with that is there? Nice bike 🙂

I do like those brakes…

rudedog
    Free Member

Aye thats me! Small world lol

I’ll drop you a mail

supafly1982
    Free Member

cheers PJM

nae bother rudedog, see you around 🙂

spudnick
    Free Member

Blue Pigs are ace!! Run mine with 140mm fox floats, slx trans, renthal fatbar (full 780 width)and thomson 70mm stem. Its so much fun on fast descents. Will try and get pics up later

nick

supafly1982
    Free Member

awesome spudnick, get the pics up. How do you manage to run it with 780 bars? i had 780’s on my wolfridge, man they were wide lol, had to trim them to 750

spudnick
    Free Member

struggling to get pics up at the moe but will keep trying. i used to run 685mm easton bars but found them too narrow, saw the renthals and that they matched up with the stancions and my forks and dropper post so had to have them. initially thought they’d be too wide but after 20 mins up the local wyre forest i was hooked. so much more comfortable and allows me to get really low over the front wheel. one of the best pieces of kit i have

nick

spudnick
    Free Member

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb402/nick78kat/th_IMAG0507.jpg

finally managed to upload a pick of my blue pig. taken before dropper post, renthal fatbar and 70mm stem were fitted but you get the idea

nick

wors

Some wider bars are nextp on my list, 685 at the moment.

lee93
    Free Member

I’ve got some white yeti hardcore grips and after every ride there brown –so to make them look new again (white) spray cluch / brake cleaner or disc rotor cleaner onto a micro fiber cloth then give them a good rub come up like new.. Also do this with my fizik saddle!!

slinkybike
    Free Member

Very nice and I think the revalations suit the build.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Good write up. Nice bike build too.

spray cluch / brake cleaner or disc rotor cleaner onto a micro fiber cloth then give them a good rub come up like new.. Also do this with my fizik saddle!!

Good tip

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

What’s the standover height on a 16″ and 18″ Plue Big, anyone know?

I’m thinking of either building one up, but tough to argue with the new 2×10 X9 off the peg build at £1650

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Ragley Blue Pig Build thread……… and outing’ is closed to new replies.