Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Radioactive pipes
  • matt_outandabout

Heading home tonight I drove past a truck carrying a set of pipes and valves. All about 50cm diameter, 2 or 3metres long. Used.
    All sealed over the end with clearly displayed radioactive symbols.
    A9 heading north from Kier roundabout at Dunblane.

Anyone know what the source and destination of these things are…?

maccruiskeen

I could tell you but you’d have to kill me

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Could be low level waste, even the paper towels in the toilets get disposed off as radioactive. So could just be something like cooling water pipes from a nuclear powerstation being decomissioned.

Or there are radiation based level, flow, density etc meters, might just be sections of pipe containing those from a refinery (Grangemouth?).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    notlocal
    Free Member

Possibly drill sections from a rig?
    Got a call to decontaminate a guy who’d been covered in “mud” from drilling. Not sure how it’s radioactive though.

CountZero

Got a call to decontaminate a guy who’d been covered in “mud” from drilling. Not sure how it’s radioactive though.

The granite in Cornwall is radioactive, then there’s the radon gas…

Davesport

Probably pipe being decommissioned from the oil/hydrocarbon industry. Will have been identified as being contaminated with “Naturally Occurring Radioactive Material” or NORM. Used to be called LSA scale. Not very radioactive and the main reason it’s sealed up is to prevent the now drying scale from turning into airborne dust.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Radioactive pipes’ is closed to new replies.