Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Radio 2 playlist
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

Given that Radio 2 can play pretty much anything they want…. why do they play the same stuff over and over?
    Fed up of Stones/Mika/G Barlow.

failedengineer

Radio 6. Simples.

ThePinkster

Because they have a list of records on their playlist that they have to play on certain shows a specified number of times in a week. This is decided upon in a meeting the previous week and changes on a weekly basis in order to fit in with their base listener demographic.

Which is exactly what a play list is.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Sadly it’s not just Radio 2, it’s been this way ever since the advent of computer sheduling.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Do you really expect more from Radio Pleasant?

zippykona

You lucky ,lucky bastard!
    Its Christmas and we have non stop Smooth Christmas on in the shop.
    Ooooooh I just cant wait till they play Whitney.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Anika Rice, Saturday Mornings till 4-6am.

No chat, no waffle, just tunes and a bit of banter.

I had the displeasure to listen to Steve “factoid” Wright yesterday, Dear God..what an atrocious and obnoxious self promoting berk.

binners

failedengineer has it.

Nothing else sullies our daily listening pleasure. Certainly not aural vallium like Radio 2 😀

franki
    Free Member

We’ve got Smooth on at work right now.
    It’s truly the worst selection of music I’ve ever heard on the radio. Radio 2 is waaaaay better. (And I don’t like 99.9% of the music on there!)

Flaperon

I had the displeasure to listen to Steve “factoid” Wright yesterday, Dear God..what an atrocious and obnoxious self promoting berk.

Amen to that. Little while ago Graham Norton played a Steve Wright trailer. After it finished there was a five second silence, and GN simply said quietly: “God, and I thought I was annoying.”

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Soma FM Underground 80s at least a couple of days a week here. In a couple of weeks I’ll give their ‘alternative’ Christmas channels an airing.

I’ll also give 6 a go soon.

MrOvershoot

franki – Member
    We’ve got Smooth on at work right now.
    It’s truly the worst selection of music I’ve ever heard on the radio. Radio 2 is waaaaay better. (And I don’t like 99.9% of the music on there!)

That +1000

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Here’s chris morris being wayne carr doing steve wright….20 years ago.

He ain’t changed a bit

Candodavid
    Free Member

Planet rock on t’internet works for me

edlong
    Free Member

Planet rock on t’internet works for me

Yeah, cos at least they don’t play the same old tunes over and over again, like they only have one CD and it’s “Jezza Clarkson’s Driving Rock Classics”. Oh, wait a minute..

6music ftw. If you want your guitars a bit louder, then conceivably Kerrang, as long as you like the Foo Fighters, of which they seem to play rather a lot.

ThePinkster

Sadly it’s not just Radio 2, it’s been this way ever since the advent of computer sheduling.

Been going on since long before computers were involved.

hammerite
    Free Member

It’s amusing the little campaigns that go on. Deacon Blue were all of a sudden the best band ever and their new song played to death because they were doing “an intimate performance” exclusive to R2.

Steve Wright is a bit strange, I keep listening but not sure why. Factoid followed by long jingle into the news, followed by doing the traffic persons job for them, followed by guest where he’ll ask 3 questions and then just read out the gig list straight from the notes given to him by the PR person and repeat.

Does anyone find Ken Bruce, his anecdotes (do people really e-mail these stories in?) and banter with the traffic woman annoying too?

paul4stones

I assumed Steve Wright is being ‘ironic’. Am I getting something that isn’t?

labsey
    Free Member

I like Chris Evans in the morning and Ken Bruce is ok. Enjoy Popmaster.

After midday it all goes wrong.

hammerite
    Free Member

I like Popmaster too, completely useless at it though.

lister

I keep getting told that I’m old enough for R2. I’m not. It’s like the 90s never happened.

I keep getting told that I’ll love R6. I don’t, but believe me I’ve tried. I’ve heard that they have amazing new music on, and classic stuff that I like. I’ve even had texts telling me to tune in NOW for something I’ll like.
    I turn it on and there is someone talking. Everytime. The other day Cerys Matthews was doing some shite 6th form poetry, for about 10 minutes.

I despair, because I know how much unique recorded music the BBC must have in it’s archives…

CountZero

Lister, you really need to listen for a bit longer than twenty minutes. Yes, there’s chat, but it’s often very funny, Cerys does the poetry, but she plays a huge variety of stuff from around 1920 to the present day, Radcliffe and Maconie played Opeth, Tegan and Sara, and other really good stuff today. The other afternoon they had Sally Lindsay turn up, and their entire program went out the window, but I was killing myself laughing, they were really funny. I can cope with chat mixed with the music, if its funny and intelligent. Believe me, 6Music costs me a fortune because of all the new stuff I keep hearing on there, and Stuart’s ‘Freakier Zone’ on Friday night will show you some really unusual stuff.
    Best radio station on the planet, I’ve been listening since 2005, and discovered more new music as a result than I could have imagined possible.

slackalice
    Free Member

Errr… before the ‘BBC/UK radio is utter sh**e’ bashing really takes off….

Have ANY of you tried to listen to radio elsewhere in the world???!! 😉

gordimhor

Zippykona it’s not Christmas it’s November, it will all be so much worse by the time it really is Christmas 🙂

Moe

Radio 2 is only really good when most people are asleep …….. in that I mean after midnight, Janis Long & Alex Lester, great tunes and banter (often total drivel but fun unpretentious drivel!) If you’re not a night owl give them an ear on i-Player!

jota180
    Free Member

It’s the ‘boys upstairs’ fault 🙂

Well you cant turn him into a company man
    you cant turn him into a whore
    and the boys upstairs just dont understand anymore
    well the top brass dont like him talking so much
    and he wont play what they say to play
    and he dont wanna change what dont need to change

And there goes the last DJ
    who plays what he wants to play
    and says what he wants to say
    hey hey hey
    and there goes your freedom of choice
    there goes the last human voice
    and there goes the last DJ

and some folks say there gonna hang him so high
    casue you just cant do what he did
    theres some things you just cant put in the minds of those kids
    as we celebrate mediocrity all the boys upstairs wanna see
    how much youll pay for what you used to get for free

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOd3tan59BE[/video]

northernerindevon

+1 for CountZero – sometimes you have to give things a chance to shine &, my word, does 6 Music do that!! Although, one mans aural pleasure is another mans aural pain.

I do have to confess to listening to and enjoying Steve Wright on Radio 2 as well – looks like it’s just me!!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Radio 2 playlist’ is closed to new replies.