Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 127 total)
  • Radio 1 Essential Mixes
  • Mister-P
    Free Member

I know we love a music thread on STW (in between knocking ebikes and VW camper vans). What are STWers Essential Mixes of choice? I’m currently listening to Photek’s 1997 mix where he apparently gets bored after an hour or so and plays Goldie’s Mother in its entirety.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The ‘Portishead’ one that was basically a DJ Andy Smith masterclass of eclectic excellence.

16stonepig
    Free Member

Nero 2010. It’s bombastic to a ridiculous degree:

devash
    Free Member

The Paul Oakenfold “Goa” mix is the one that always stands out for me;

Clicky

CJ Bolland for a proper Orbit style techno workout (hold on to your hat towards the end – face melting stuff!)

CJ Bolland

Tony De Vit because his style of music influenced the stuff I listened to when I was old enough to go clubbing;

Tony de Vit

All the Coxy ones but this one is probably my fave;

Carl Cox

trailwagger
    Free Member

I give you the almighty Goa mix….. Definitely the best essential mix ever.

doris5000

hmm, good question

Evil 9 circa 2004/5 stands out for me
    There’s an absolutely banging Weatherall one from about 1993
    Junior Boys Own 1994

there’s a great FSOL one from around 1994 too, which I remember listening to some years later, and marvelling at just how weird and avant garde it was, thinking ‘how did THIS ever get on radio 1’?

DezB
    Free Member

They’re all rubbish and you all have appalling taste. Just getting that out of the way first. 😀

Haven’t listened to one for a while, I assume it’s still going? (Checked, it is)

Nicolas Jaar’s was a beauty
    https://soundcloud.com/otherpeoplerecords/csp06-nicolas-jaar-essential

Now you’ve sparked my interest, I shall be listening to
    ANNA
    and
    Kolsch

Cool!

torsoinalake
    Free Member

This is the one I’ve probably listened to the most. Great when you need a bit of fun instead of two hours of navel gazing inside a DJ’s record box:

Particular fan of the Visage > Human League > Depeche Mode > Frankie Goes to Hollywood mash halfway through.

JasonDS

Recent one from Andy C

trailwagger
    Free Member

Freddy Fresh was banging as well “Get out there and start raking them leaves boy”

binners

The Orbital ones have always been belters. They’re always a safe bet for dropping some mad shit in the mix

And Krafty Kuts is always reliable for some awesome breaks – this is funky as **** from 2005!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Pearson Sound best eva

edit: Cheers for the ANdy C one, if been caning Andy C Drum and Bass arena 2001 mix on youtube in the car on the way to the bike park. Tracklist contains a good sprinkling of classic bangers.

chakaping
    Free Member

Love this one…

And from more recently, this guy is amazeballs…

Is this the Weatherall one you meant Doris? Just reading the tracklist is enough to give me goosebumps…

binners

Cheers for the links, you lot. Working from home this week and I’m bored with 6 Music. That’s my listening sorted 😀

trailwagger
    Free Member

I always thought it was nice of Radio1 to insert a break on the hour to give you time to turn over your c120 tape ready for part2.

DezB
    Free Member

It’s got a Wiki page 🙂
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Essential_Mix_episodes

Listening to the Nicolas Jaar one on Soundcloud – it doesn’t go “Essentialessentialessential you’re listening to… blah blah” at any point during the playback. Superb!

doris5000

I’m confused now! The Andy Weatherall mix I had in mind isn’t that 1993 one above (which is great), nor is it the more housey 1996 one (also great).

Maybe it wasn’t an essential mix at all? IIRC it was just straight techno…. hmm

oh well. He’s a don, whatever!

slackalice
    Free Member

If you lot can remember all these and when, you so weren’t doing it right! 🤪😁

duffmiver
    Free Member
    chakaping
    Free Member

I also thought I’d listened to a banging Weatherall Essential Mix from 1992-ish, but it might have been a club set actually.

Only went to Sabresonic once myself, I had an unfairly tainted view of AW after he turned up at The Drum Club and played a set of borderline undanceable pan pipe-laced techno.

That mix of Smokebelch into Spastik is spectacular.

disco_stu
    Free Member

Some of the recent ones I’ve enjoyed
    Helena Hauff – Essential mix of the year 2017

DJ Stingray

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Recently I’ve got a thing for Charlotte de witte. She’s a massive acid techno fan but as far as I’m aware she’s not done a pure acid set. Her essential mix is banging. I can’t give a top 1 fave. Calyx and Teebee, Goldie. Carl Cox. Dave Clarke….

There used to be a site that had virtually all the e mixes…. I just can’t single out one favourite.

Rebekah
    Fatima Yamaha
    Vini Vici
    LTJ Bukem
    Hgh Contrast

doris5000

If you lot can remember all these and when, you so weren’t doing it right! 🤪😁

it’s probably not one of the best, but I sometimes listen back to the 2001 Hawtin EM recorded at Sankeys, because I was there… and I barely remember a second of it 😆

it was proper banging tho

binners

We went to a Skepta gig the other week and there was an awesome DJ set before by Sita Abellan. I’d never heard of her before. It was absolutely banging!

Well worth checking out if you like your techno pretty hard!

corroded
    Free Member

A few favourites mentioned already (Oakenfold, Cj Bolland).
    We listened to the Billy Nasty mix https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6ce2lpv6E8 and Justin Robertson https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGQZNbbMuP8&t=4930s a lot, both from 1994.

chakaping
    Free Member

Used to catch Billy Nasty playing out a lot, bit of a fixture on the London scene.

One I do remember was a great night at a basement place up the Tottenham Ct Rd end of Oxford Street that I never found again, was the first time I’d heard Green Velvet’s Flash in his set. Took the roof off.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

I’m still really sad that B.Traits doesn’t do her show on BBC anymore.

corroded
    Free Member

@Chakaping, yes he was a regular at Final Frontier, Club UK where we’d go. As was Coxy, though his Essential Mixes never quite matched the sheer bangingness of his live sets there.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Yeah miss b.traits too.

Hey Binners, a techno set before Skepta that’s a bit random eh? I’ll check her out currently listening to Rebekah at crssd on YouTube if you like ya techno hard.

Oh, Fatima Haaji does some hardctechno sets too. Nosebleed pace from the word go.

Merak

So many to choose from but this was one of my favourites.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

well no ones mentioned the dust brothers mix from 1994, better known as the chemical brothers.
    found it on soundcloud a few weeks ago after looking for it for a while

other mixes, i liked the lives ones, and was at a few gatecrasher ones and i do like the que club 1995 birmingham all nighter with billie ray martin live pa etc.

another favourite is the one with jam n spoon oddysey to annonnya, possibly an oakenfold mix..

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Dust bros changed to chems in 95 due to legal issues with the existing dust bros. The 95 emix was under the chems monika I believe.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

yeah pete tong introduces them as the newly renamed chemical brothers i think, its one of those tapes that i recorded as a 5th year high school kid overnight on C90 cassettes

DezB
    Free Member

I used to go round my Dad’s especially to use his twin-deck-auto-reverse tape deck – set a timer on one of those wall things and get the whole show to listen to in the car 🙂

jimmy

I think there was one from around new year 96/97 which included the deep and dirty version of Faithless Insomnia. Had it on tape, wouldn’t know where to start looking for it now.

binners

The Dust Brothers used to play Thursday nights at Paradise Factory every other week (as they were both students in Manchester), along with Justin Robertson and Darren Emerson

Thats how we used to kick our weekends off. I’m thinking 1993? Its all a bit hazy to be honest 😀

aphex – the Skepta gig was part of his Dystopia987 thing. It was all a bit mental. It was in an old warehouse with a massive sound system on rails and all these mad lasers and projections. Like an old warehouse party…

trailwagger
    Free Member

on C90 cassettes

amateur !

chakaping
    Free Member

As was Coxy, though his Essential Mixes never quite matched the sheer bangingness of his live sets there.

Coxy’s style isn’t really to my taste, but the atmosphere when I caught him at Turnmills was incredible. It was always good there anyway, but he took it up a few notches at played til about 10am instead of the normal 6am closing.

binners

Used to love Turnmills. Great place to wander around from room to room all night. My brother in law used to put on an all nighters called ‘Faith’ on Easter bank holiday weekends every year.

tmb467
    Free Member

The 93 David Holmes one is an acid-laced spectacular that still sounds good today

Hard to believe it’s over 25 years old

Homer-tastic

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 127 total)

The topic ‘Radio 1 Essential Mixes’ is closed to new replies.