Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Rad Power Bikes
  • kayak23

What we sayin’?

I’ve been looking around a bit at entry-level ebikes for my sister who has some mobility issues, and came across these.

Can’t decide if they look pretty mega, or maybe a bit rubbish. It’s a thin line. As a fatbikeist, I quite like the chunky aesthetic.

They do a cargo version and several others which are all quite different looking. The price seems pretty good for what they are. They use a Bafang system but presumably the ones with suss forks are going to be a bit low-rent.

Do they use a throttle? Is that UK legal?

What we sayin’?

prontomonto

The Europe models don’t have a throttle, I don’t think, and other specs differ, so check that.

I’m seriously thinking of getting a Radwagon 4 to replace my Kona Minute to carry kids and my wife could use it too. Amazing value compared to a Tern GSD for example. Even where you can see they’ve cut costs – hub motor, cable brakes – the price is still less than you’d expect. 22″ wheels is a bit weird though.

t3ap0t
    Free Member

Until recently I think all their models had 750W motors which were 1Le-A class and therefore had to be DVLA registered and treated as a moped, but there is a new Radwagon shipping in September which has a new 250W motor which is regular e-bike classification in europe. The price is amazing, competing with conventional cargo bikes rather than the e-cargo lot which are 2-3 times more.

Got a slight hint from forums and facebook that reliability of the motors might not be all that, which could be the upshot of the price point – but then you can find people complaining about anything on the internet. 2 year warranty though.

kayak23

Yeah and if the motors are Bafang, then I guess you could replace them ‘relatively cheaply’..

there is a new Radwagon shipping in September which has a new 250W motor which is regular e-bike classification in europe

The ones on the site there are all 250w I think. Though I think they’re all out of stock so maybe as you say, September release is a different motor power.

The Europe models don’t have a throttle, I don’t think, and other specs differ, so check that.

It says something about a ‘Half twist power assist’.

Also, I used to call my Berlingo the #Radwagon, so this is like a sign from God or something.

rootes1

they have a new EU compliant Tern GSD rival (but lots cheaper):

RadWagon Electric Cargo Bike Version 4

TiRed

Low step through never gets old on a utility bike. Male or female. Doesn’t matter.

epicsteve
    Free Member

With the singlespeed gearing on that bike (which does look a bargain) you’d need to be pretty sure it didn’t run out of charge ’cause it’d be a lot of work getting it up a hill without assistance.

t3ap0t
    Free Member

^^ Yeah looks like they’re all 250W now which is cool.

Just got a 2nd hand Kona Ute (not E) for the school run, otherwise would be very tempted to pre-order a RadWagon.

Looks like the twist assist gets you off the mark – having ridden my Ute loaded up with shopping getting started is the hardest bit about riding it.

Twist Power Assist
    Half grip twist power assist up to 6 km/h without pedaling

prontomonto

That sounds like walk mode, which lots of legal (I assume) ebikes have.

prontomonto

So, I just pre-ordered a Rad Wagon. I’ll report back what it’s like. The discount for pre-order ends tomorrow. Also was able to split payment over 3 months without interest.

kayak23

Sweet. Be interested to hear what they’re like.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Maybe I live under a rock, but I’d be very wary of 22″ tyres on the Rad Wagon 4, not a + size I’ve come across before.

kayak23

Yeah,I think Kenda made them especially.

RustyNissanPrairie

22″ is a new school BMX size, plenty of options.

Some great prices – Bafang stuff has plenty of DIY support with all the internals parts available.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Rad Power Bikes’ is closed to new replies.