Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Rad cage – Still available/equivalents?
  • cookeaa

I’ve got a knackered m615 mech that’s struggling to stretch across an 11-42t cassette. It seems one up are no longer selling the rad cage (or at least I can’t see an option to buy it on their website).

Are there any other similar options that add a bit of offset to the top jockey? Should I consider fashioning my own?

dc1988

Have you got a longer b screw fitted?

nickjb
    Free Member

They do seem to have disappeared. I suspect the market has dried up as you can use an old 11 speed mech or one of the new wide range 10/11 speed mechs. Both options probably about the same price as the rad cage was.

You can get cheap goat link things on eBay to push the mech back but is not as good as the rad cage.

bent_udder
    Free Member

I tried finding one a while back – no luck, but luckily a kind forum member had one in his drawer. It might be possibly to cobble one together from another mech – but it’s quite likely the bit that has busted is the cage. Good luck.

cookeaa

Have you got a longer b screw fitted?

Yep, it needs new jockeys and the shifting has generally been a bit underwhelming, but a rad cage wasn’t super pricey before (IIRC). That GARBARUK isn’t far short of the price of a 12speed mech.

I’ll muddle by with what I’ve got for a bit longer I think…

dc1988

I get how you feel, I’m running a Rad cage on my 10 speed XTR mech, I dread the day it breaks as it’s reliable and I can get a plenty big enough cassette for it.

Fortunately they are quite strong, I smashed my mech into a tree stump which bent the b link and half the cage but the Rad side of the cage was unharmed and the whole thing was fixable.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

1×10 wide range with rad cage has been the best drivetrain I’ve run. Was a mistake selling it on!

The standard 11 speed mechs I run now (one on 10 speed the other full 11) aren’t as robust and need fettling more often.

Get one if you can!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.